powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Ideas for deco or do something about this divider between living and dining rooms
sudee
December 21, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Please throw all and any ideas. How to make this divider very appealing?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
charleee
i think I would look into removing it entirely, it's making your dining room look very narrow.

If removing is not an option, you could build it up with open shelving: [houzz=
]
December 21, 2012 at 3:16am     
feeny
I agree that replacing it with open shelving, or possibly even a built in sofa, would be an improvement. That way it will have a function in the room beyond simply preventing people from falling into the sunken dining room.
December 21, 2012 at 3:24am   
iryana
WOW! very nice area, since it divides between 2 different levels you should have some sort of divider, rails or low see through shelving. if it is hard to change I would definitely hide/ paint wood ....... it makes it outdated and "heavy" .... something light on the base even white ...
How tall is this divider ? you can make like a table with top sticking out on one side
December 21, 2012 at 3:32am   
PRO
Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
I'd replace it with a railing.
December 21, 2012 at 4:10am   
michigammemom
I would be inclined to box in the divider with drywall and add an attractive wood top as shown in this inspiration room with a sunken living area.
December 21, 2012 at 5:20am     
decoenthusiaste
My impression is that the sunken part is the dining room - so much smaller and the chandy gives me that feeling. Would a glass shoji screen work mounted on top of the divider? Something like this upstairs railing which you could duplicate on your upstairs to tie the two areas together visually.

December 21, 2012 at 10:31am     
More Discussions
I will NEVER have _____ in my home!
What's the one thing (or a few things) you refuse to...
Is it much too red?
I wanted red and pink to be the main color of our place. I...
Knob suggestions
I'd like to update this 20 yr old NYC kitchen with...
How much lighting for a powder room??
I'm remodeling my powder room and removing the vanity...
Backsplash ideas
Help!!!!! I am indecisive about decorating ideas. I...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.