Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
What style suits this house?
Shawn Nickerson
December 21, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Hi, I am purchasing this home, and would like some input on what style you think would go well. I tend more towards modern, and my wife towards traditional, so I'm thinking of more transitional. We will be replacing the kitchen, bathrooms, and much of the flooring. All of my ideas so far are in the linked ideabook. Thanks!
http://www.redfin.com/WA/Bellevue/13840-NE-44th-Pl-98005/home/430427

Thank you for reporting this. Undo
kitasei
I see a former carriage house, or a newer house based on one. If so, I would emphasize and reveal that spatial organization, by unifying the colors/materials to define the bays that are now filled by the garage doors, front door and windows. You have to figure out where the bays were - I can't tell if there were three or four - and highlight the vertical elements that should be equally spaced. The dormer windows and shingle(?) roof are also lovely and prominent features. There is something about the windows that is detracting, though - are they sliding? You might not need to change them to make them blend in better with the architecture. The approach - the sweeping curve, is wonderful, and the perfect geometry for a carriage to pull up. Is there an open area outside the garage doors? What is the feature in front of the door? It is an important element. So is the driveway itself. I see a towering tree trunk on the left, which gives you spectacular scale and age to highlight. Consider this as the impression of a layman (whose expertise is historic roads, not houses!) I'll be interested to read the thoughts of the professionals on this site. Great property!
December 21, 2012 at 4:26AM