Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
River Rock Seating for Patio?
bathroom2012
December 21, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Reposting - I think I put this in the wrong place because I did not get any hits so I am reposting here.

In my Patio Design I have a curved concrete bench in one corner, and I would like for it to be made like this River Rock seat I seen. Does anyone know how a seat like this would be made? I can not really tell if it has River Rock tile laid on top of the concrete or if it is totally made out of River Rock. I have yet to talk to a concrete contractor, but because I really like this look, I was thinking of incorporating River Rock into my design as an accent.

Any Thoughts?

RAS
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
michigammemom
Just be aware that this will not be a particularly comfortable seat. By nature the river rock is irregularly shaped so the bench surface will be highly textured. It's fine for standing on in our steam shower but as for seating....OUCH!
December 21, 2012 at 7:59am   
PRO
Aesthetic Tile Imaging
There are many 'mosaic' companies that offer the rock look as tiles in sheets that line up together. You could use that directly over a concrete base.
Before you commit totally, please consider what you may want to do using custom art fired on tile. For creative ideas see my Houzz page
December 21, 2012 at 8:01am   
bathroom2012
Thanks for your comments: Michigammemom - it was actually comfortable because it was laid evenly and flat, so when you sat on it it felt like a smooth concrete seat. Aesthetic Tile - I will take a look at your website do you have any contemporary styles?
December 21, 2012 at 8:09am   
PRO
Aesthetic Tile Imaging
My work is entirely custom, so the style is all determined by the art selection and the tile sizes and shapes. I can reproduce just about any art - whether it's a painting, photograph, archival documents or maps, drawings, something abstract, whatever. A high resolution digital image will produce the best final image quality. Using your own art or that purchased without restrictions avoids licensing / copyright issues. With the right tile shapes (i.e. vertical strips) will allow you to conform to a curved shape such as the front and back of the seating area. The art tile doesn't need to cover all the area; in fact it might look best if a complimentary material (i.e. stone) is used with it. For all outdoor installations I would use porcelain tile since it is frost resistant. The finished tiles are completely weatherproof and will never fade.
December 21, 2012 at 8:33am   
More Discussions
POLL: What color is your front door?
Let's talk about you! The color you choose to paint...
Cat-Proof Toilet Paper Holder?
You can see the problem. The cat loves to totally destroy...
Pendant Height
How do you determine the height of pendants if you...
Keep, Donate or Repupose
We all have items in our home that we have kept through...
Dark Stone Mosaic: Leave it or paint it?
What on earth should I do with this random backsplash...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.