Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Multi-purpose front entry room
ggurin
December 21, 2012 in Design Dilemma
ideas for bright 10x18 room with 4 windows to include desk top & chair, bookshelves, treadmill?, and comfy reading chair.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
Two-thirds of the way into the room, more or less, I would use two tall bookcases as a room divider, placing them between windows and perpendicular to the wall. I want them to divide the workout area which would be the smaller one-third portion of the room, from the other area. I'm fond of Ikea's Billy series of bookcases with the height added sections on to give extra height.

Then the other two-thirds of the room would be the office and reading room, with the chair placed close to the bookcases and the desk closer to the door.
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
1 Like   December 21, 2012 at 11:15AM
decoenthusiaste
I would take the same two bookcases Carolyn suggested, but I would put one between the door and the window, perpendicular to the wall to create a "foyer" and a nook for either the reading chair & a lamp or the tread mill. The back would be to the door with books on the reading/workout side.The second would stand perpendicular to the brick wall with the desk behind it. Shelves could face the door and be decorative or face the desk and be useful for work materials.
1 Like   December 21, 2012 at 11:31AM
cypress
Is this the first room guests come into when entering the home? I would install a ceiling in that room before doing anything else.
1 Like   December 21, 2012 at 11:51AM
ggurin
Of course the room will have a ceiling. We had damage after Hurricane Sandy and needed a new roof and ceiling so the whole room is getting a makeover. Photo is pre-remodeling.
0 Likes   December 21, 2012 at 2:54PM
ggurin
All good suggestions. Thank you.
0 Likes   December 21, 2012 at 2:56PM
PRO
Patriot Homes of the Upstate
Bigger windows or new front door with side window panels. Possibly french doors in back and put the treadmill there. It will be like walking outside. Put the desk in front of treadmill so you can watch TV on your computer. Recessed built in shelves will keep the space open. Use crown molding to dress up the space and simple recessed lighting. I wish I could come up and help you.
2 Likes   December 21, 2012 at 3:06PM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
You have some great ideas to choose from above. If it were mine and I was doing that much remodeling I would put in bigger and better windows. Also try not to clutter it up to much by make it serve to many functions.
1 Like   December 21, 2012 at 3:16PM
Dar Eckert
I'm thinking that adding a set of french doors where the brick ends to create two areas, an entry with bench and cubbies for storage etc. The other end of the room put tall bookcases on each side of the window and a small desk under the window. You would have room for a comfy chair under the other window near the desk. I would try to relocate the tread mill but it would fit next to the brick wall.
0 Likes   December 21, 2012 at 6:42PM
Dar Eckert
A Playful Palette
Here's a photo of storage in an entryway. Also a wonderful sunroom similar to yours.
Druid Hills Sunroom 1
Druid Hills Sunroom 2
The Seligman

So here's a few idea photos
3 Likes   December 21, 2012 at 6:55PM
houssaon
You could divide the room into threes. In the first area by the front door, install a highly functional coat cabinet facing the door. It can come out into the room and act as a bit of a divider. Something like this: Case Design/Remodeling, Inc., Eric's Renovation and Lullwater Renovation. Also see: http://www.potterybarn.com/products/olivia-tower-lockers/?cm_src=AutoRel2 I would put the comfortable chair in this front section with a narrow table and a mirror on the wall before the first side window.

In the second section, I would put the desk facing the interior wall and divided from the third section by a tall bookcase or a screen. Make sure you have a good chair to sit at the desk in.

Then in the third section, I would put the tread mill facing the interior wall.

I would not change the windows. I would add matchstick blinds on the windows. I would use marmoleum on the floor. It is green, sustainable and comes in a whole variety of colors and patterns. See: Great Neighborhood Homes 1, Brooklyn Promenade Modernish, and Great Neighborhood Homes 2.
1 Like   December 21, 2012 at 7:43PM
janishill
I was going to add my 2 cents worth, but after reading the ideas already presented you don't need mine! Your room should look fabulous if you use a combination of the ideas you have already been given.

Hope to see updates. :-)
1 Like   December 21, 2012 at 8:52PM
noankwaters
I have to ditto janishill completely!
2 Likes   December 23, 2012 at 7:10PM
PRO
JAN MOYER
In all honesty, I would first try very hard to find another spot for the treadmill. It's a major entry point I am certain, and you will have more flex in styling and creating storage without the treadmill. Multi purpose is one thing, too many purposes confuse your design, and your eye. Probably not what you wanted to hear, but. : )
1 Like   December 26, 2012 at 5:38AM
sclawson
I have my office/studio in a large front entry room in my condo. Someone coming in first sees an asian influenced wine cupboard next to a chair, ottoman and floor lamp--a great reading spot. This is to the left. To the right is my desk, a work table, a tall storage cupboard, 3 bookshelf units and another comfy chair and ottoman. It takes on the character of a library and doesn't look the least bit crowded. it also gives me a central location to perform other household chores throughout the day.
0 Likes   December 27, 2012 at 9:23AM
Brenda Bloods
I like most of the comments here! you can always count on the loyal houzz community for advice! :) the idea that popped into my head was to add in a half-wall like the picture I used my skills on in paint brush ;) if that would be way out of your price range, you could get the same idea with two bookcases as the dividing wall and have a nice, crisp white curtain as the door, then the treadmill & everything else would be just for your family, and guests wouldn't even see it all. :)
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 11:44PM