powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Have you noticed your new Profile Completion widget?
Emily Hurley
December 21, 2012 in Using Houzz
We've added something visible only to non-pros on your profile that will help you get the most out of Houzz!

Take a look on the right side of your profile page for your Profile Completion percentage. Any items listed there will help you find your way around the site and introduce you to some features you may have missed. Shoot for 100%!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
I do not like the idea of linking to facebook. All my clients and friends are on that list and I do not want that shared with anyone.
December 21, 2012 at 2:45PM     
Emily Hurley
Remember that anything on that list is completely optional.
December 21, 2012 at 2:53PM     
houssaon
I am one who does not hand over to Facebook all my information. I will never get an account. I cannot believe how much personal information people just give away.
December 21, 2012 at 10:38PM     
Sigrid
I hate it. I hate all little widgets telling me I have undone chores and this one is going to keep saying chores are undone. I'm at 70% and going to stay there. Professionals are not going to benefit from some careless reviews done to tick off a box and I have no interest in linking to Facebook.
December 21, 2012 at 10:55PM     
Emelie
I think it would be nice to be able to create personal albums. People could share ideas and get inspired from each others homes.
December 22, 2012 at 1:22AM     
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
I think I did the albums but maybe I did them wrong? I have about 6 jobs I posted.
December 22, 2012 at 7:35AM   
moccasinlanding
I got the app for my Android phone and tablet, which is great. BUT, I will not review it on the Google Play site, because it wants me to register for some inane reason. I'm sure folks will discover HOUZZ looks great on that nice app w/o my approval. And I agree with those who wish to keep Facebook at arm's distance.
December 23, 2012 at 3:51PM     
PRO
All Inclusive Home Remodeling
I advertise on Facebook all the time and the information is the same as all my registered accounts.I have a Business so it's out there for the Public to see.I don't worry about that stuff, the widgets are annoying though.Happy Holidays!!
December 23, 2012 at 4:03PM   
olldroo
Sorry Emily, I have minimalised my profile information due to many nasty and rude comments that have been made on this website. I entered into this website in the spirit that it was intended, I love the site, I love how people are so willing to help others, I love how it has helped me grow in my design knowledge, I love passing on my opinions and experiences to help others and most of all I love all the new friends I have made, but sadly the way things are in the world today, there are just too many people who feel the need to destroy everything beautiful and fun.
December 26, 2012 at 1:54AM     
designideas4me
Emelie.... I made an ideabook with pics of my house. You can make as many ideabooks as you want. I think its a good idea and helps you focus on what you like and what still needs to be completed and to share ideas.

I dont like the facebook idea either.
December 26, 2012 at 4:27AM     
lessismoore
The completion of the "non-pro" part of all this, only increases the data base of info you have to better target ads. Not sure what that actually gives me :-). And if that were all it did ... Everyone these days wants you to sign in or link your facebook account. So much of what I like here is that it is "not" FB (the world's most depressing and contentious place).
December 26, 2012 at 9:28AM     
Emily Hurley
Hi Guys, The non-professional profile widget is actually not connected to any ads you may see on the site. The ads on Houzz are always contextual, so they are based around what you are looking at at that moment.

If you don't want to connect Facebook, that is absolutely okay! The items on the list are only meant to help people that are interested find their way around the site and see some areas they may have otherwise been unaware of.
December 26, 2012 at 9:36AM   
A K
A widget pointing out areas one may have overlooked is indeed helpful. It's the suggestion that ones profile is incomplete that is a bit annoying. It has that infantile, high school competition flair about it.
December 26, 2012 at 11:06AM     
Emily Hurley
Ahhhh, gotcha. So if it was called something else, you might like it better? Really appreciate the feedback!
December 26, 2012 at 11:08AM     
A K
@ emily.
Yes. No competition, no points.
December 26, 2012 at 1:54PM   
olldroo
I'm interested to know how everyone feels about rating posters in order of contributions and how helpful it might be. Personally I feel it is creating a Tall Poppy Syndrome and is why those who regularly appear in the top 10 are frequently targetted with nasty comments and snipes. Sad, but ........
December 26, 2012 at 3:45PM   
designideas4me
I dont see the need for it. If anyone gets nasty comments I am sure its for what they say and not because of how many posts they contribute or where they stand on that rating chart.
December 26, 2012 at 4:35PM   
designideas4me
Where are all these comments you speak ofthat are so nasty? what is "tall poppy syndrome"? I was personally attached by one of the more frequent posters and I defended myself. I will continue to do so weather of not a person is a frequent poster or a new poster. Maybe its what someone says and not who you think they think they are that is the issue.
December 26, 2012 at 4:43PM   
Emily Hurley
Just as a reminder, if you feel there are comments that are not in keeping with the spirit of the site, send us a quick email at support(at)houzz.com with a link and we are always happy to take a look.
December 26, 2012 at 4:57PM     
Lory Frank
I have to chuckle at the comments. For me, the site has been so entertaining with all the beautiful eye candy. The fact that I can play on it for free is intoxicating! Free advice on decorating , a peek into a designer's portfolio and places to buy products in all price ranges......brilliant !!!! I haven't added Facebook yet but who wouldn't want to share this gem with your friends? "Give and you shall receive." It's free marketing Interiors International.....your friends and clients will look at the photos and be inspired to call you! On Facebook you can target a designated "group" as well. Now, how about the quote for those chairs I asked for last night?
December 26, 2012 at 6:26PM     
Angel Farnsworth
Under the "YOUR HOUZZ" tab, you can disconnect the facebook link. Edit Profile under Facebook tab.
December 29, 2012 at 4:23AM     
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.