powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Should we use this as dining room or living room?
drsherre
December 21, 2012 in Design Dilemma
We just moved into a new house and the living room is proving to be a challenge in arranging furniture b/c of so many doors and huge fireplace wall (best attempt at layout attached). HELP! Should we use as a dining room instead? We're open to ideas if the space doesn't allow for good furniture layout.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
decoenthusiaste
I think it would work as a dining room. Can you post photos for additional help - including dining furniture, even if in another room now. Will help to understand your style.
December 21, 2012 at 12:37PM   
drsherre
Hi decoenthusiaste - thank you so much for your input! We don't yet have a table (moved from a studio to 3 bdrm home) so we need to get a table. I'm sorry I don't have anything to show you, but I'd say our style is transitional. We like clean lines, dark wood. We will be putting very dark bamboo floors in the room and are considering adding windows to either side of the sliding doors as well. But if we go with a dining room, will it be awkwardly large? Maybe add a sitting area near the fireplace? Thank you again.
December 21, 2012 at 12:55PM   
decoenthusiaste
Is there a center light fixture that will hang above the table, or can that be moved to one side? You'll be surprised at how quickly the room gets filled. You have a wall by the kitchen for casegoods (buffet or sideboard) and a corner to the right of the sliders where you could put something like a corner china cabinet. If you don't want a corner piece there, then I'd exchange the sliders for two fixed and one working French door for more of a style statement. The drawing doesn't illustrate if that is a solid wall between the FP and the foyer opening or if it is all open If you want to anchor the table with a rug, it should be 4' longer and wider or bigger around than the table, so take those measurements into consideration as you shop. Do you entertain dinner guests a lot? How many do you want to seat? Tell me if you like any of these so I can have a bit of direction. And post anything you've seen that you like.
Rachel Hazelton Interior Design
Maria Hildebrand Designing Interiors
Transitional Dining Room
Modern Dining Room
December 22, 2012 at 4:03PM     
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
If I had a better layout and some pictures I'm sure I could do a very nice living room design with that space.
December 22, 2012 at 4:51PM   
drsherre
Hi decoenthusiaste - thank you so much. I like your idea of a buffet on the kitchen wall, I hadn't thought of that. We don't have a ceiling light at all, but that is on our list to-do, so we can add it wherever. The wall between the fireplace and foyer is not completely open. There is about a 6' opening at the foyer entrance, the rest is closed. I didn't realize the rug needed to be 4' bigger, that's a huge help - thank you! The Rachel Hazelton and Sharon Payer photos you posted seem most like our style. I'm also attaching some photos we've liked in the past. Thank you for your thoughts!
December 27, 2012 at 10:56AM   
leelee
This is for the people that have changed the Houzz site so that these really old Dilemmas are now popping up as if they're new. Here we are well over a year later and this is treated as a new dilemma. What's up????
February 3, 2014 at 5:19PM   
More Discussions
Am I heading in the right direction?
My goal is cottage style with craftsman influences....
Still working on this art niche, lol!
Please see comment below for my current thoughts and...
Zinc Countertops in Houston, Texas
Where can I get zinc countertops fabricated in the...
Need help with newly remodeled bathroom
Hello Houzz fans! We recently remodeled a guest/kids...
Dividing "bonus" room
I need help with dividing our very large, very awkward...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.