Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Help Pulling Dining Room Together
ranchownerad
December 21, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I like the individual elements of the room but it does not looked pulled together. Walls above the molding are BM Marblehead Gold. We want to cover the lower walls; red grass cloth was suggested but I was also thinking of regular paper (wide tonal vertical stripes in the same gold family). Any suggestions for wall treatment or anything else would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
decoenthusiaste
Wide stripes are formal and your room says "casual." I agree with grass cloth but would match it to your blinds so you won't have to remove it if your color choices change - red is a big commitment and you may not want these shades forever, so go more neutral. Suggest you remove the tie-on seat cushions and find a nice patterned fabric for your chair seats. Do a matching cushion for the bench if it won't make you sit too high. The metal sideboard looks a bit "office" and the artwork leaves a lot to be desired as all of these items on that side of the room look to be from another era and room. I'd rethink all the artwork. Consider a floating buffet flanked by your two floor lamps and really great art that picks up the warm tones of your room. You can adjust the lamp cords and hide them under paintable chase for a neater look.
West Chelsea Loft
A.P. House
December 21, 2012 at 12:23PM     
PRO
Prime Walls
Hi There,
You have alot of rich colours and tones in this room and you can pick any of them to do the lower half of your walls with, grass cloth is nice, and here at prime walls we have alot too choose from. I agree with decoenthusiaste, stripes are a very formal pattern and it might not be best suited for your space. I have a few althernative suggestions, in the tones used in your space!
http://www.primewalls.com/products_residential/viewsku/1036 http://www.primewalls.com/products_residential/viewsku/1025 http://www.primewalls.com/products_residential/viewsku/833 http://www.primewalls.com/products_residential/viewsku/835

Primewalls.com
December 21, 2012 at 12:36PM     
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
I love all the suggestions made by decoenthusiaste! You've put together a lovely room that will be stunning when you follow his advice. I particularly like the floating buffet idea and his suggestion for different art.
December 21, 2012 at 2:10PM     
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
The room needs to be a bit softer. Possibly do the floating buffet in a curve or s curve shape.
December 21, 2012 at 2:22PM   
PRO
Int. Int'l, what do you mean by an s curve shape on the floating buffet?
December 21, 2012 at 2:26PM   
ranchownerad
Thanks for all these helpful and smart suggestions. There is a "Baguette Floating Console" by Global Views that would match color-wise, I think, but is pricey. Any other particular product suggestions? By "curved" you mean something like a demi lune table? As far as the art goes, I can see how the black frames (and steel framed table) are too severe: what kind of frame would work here? A natural wood? How about a rustic mirror in a wood frame?
December 21, 2012 at 2:34PM     
decoenthusiaste
Hey, CA-KD - I'm a gal! Thought you knew that! Appreciate your appreciation!
December 21, 2012 at 2:52PM     
PRO
Now I know! Thanks for letting me know and keep up the great work!
December 21, 2012 at 6:52PM   
roomi
I agree with removing the tie=on seat covers. You can get woven rush pads that have enough weight to stay on the chairs most of the time without ties. I would change the curtains to white or cream and make them more sheer. The red colour seems to overpower the rug. Maybe some of that red/terracotta as accents instead. At present there is too much red which makes the room not very restful. A light painted pelmet for the curtains would also look good.
December 21, 2012 at 9:54PM     
Darzy
I've got to say I love those floor lamps! I'd like to see them together flanking the buffet (and remove the table lamp). It may not work there, but to see them together would be double the pleasure. : )
December 21, 2012 at 11:19PM     
PRO
Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
Hi ranchownerad, marie here.

Your room is off to a great start - love the area rug and the floor lamps. However, the lamps don't belong in the dining room they should move to another room.

The side console needs work. Successful accessorizing is tricky. but in your case less is more - bigger is better. It's either the black framed artwork OR the black metal console - but not both. Decide which one you want, then I can help you address this area.

I would NOT to a floral wallpaper - what I'd do is replace the upholstery on the wood dining chairs, get rid of the bench - its too kitchen feeling. And I'd add two more wood chairs and 2 host chairs at each end in an alternate fabric. No more wood, you need to add soft fabric. Get your floral or geometric pattern in the host chairs. Fabrics to follow, with visual of alternating host chairs for softness. These chairs, do double duty in the dining room and then can be moved into the living room as extra chairs for company and big parties. Great investment - so choose fabrics that really work for both rooms!
Personally, I'd bring in some cream tones to cool down all the wood - maybe add some blind with nail head detailing.
December 22, 2012 at 12:48AM     
olldroo
I love your colour choices, you have been very brave and pulled it off well, except for the white on the wall - it looks unfinished. I, too, like decoenthusiaste's suggestion of using the blind colour, either grasscloth or paint. Definitely go for a buffet, not necessarily a floating one if it is out of your budget, but I think you need minimum accessories on display to allow your colours to shine.
December 22, 2012 at 2:59AM     
PRO
Frank Webb's Bath and Lighting Center
I love the rug and the drapes look great with it, the upper wall color works very well with everything too, the only thing I would change is the white framed picture, it is too blah for the rest of the room, add another black framed print instead, I also love the idea of having upholstered dining room chairs as Marie suggested and I would use the grass cloth on the lower half of the wall in a color that matches the chairs!
December 22, 2012 at 6:23AM   
ranchownerad
Thank you for all these great suggestions: I agree that the wood needs visual softening and the white on the lower wall needs to be changed. The thing is, EVERYTHING in this room was newly purchased just for this room (we just moved in): the table, chairs, bench, cushions, curtains and blinds, lamps (which we need for extra light, not just decorative purposes; Tulip Lamps from Horchow), rugs, and console. I already had the framed art and that is why it looks out of place; I just needed wall space to hang them.

Understandably, I am LOATHE to replace all this with brand new things right away; plus I have nowhere to move the pieces being replaced. I do not mind the casual, kitchen-y feel of the bench. I have a sheepskin on it and the kids sit there and do their homework. By the way, the dining room is opposite the front door, and it is the first thing you see when you walk in. I like the idea of upholstered chairs on the ends, but then one would be walking into the house with an immediate view of a back of a chair. This does not seem inviting to me but I maybe it could work.

At this point, I am open to refinements rather than major replacements. Maybe a dramatic centerpiece (open to suggestions) may add focus to the room. I am happy to switch out the art (white or natural wood frames?), revise the console arrangement, and paint or paper the lower wall. My husband really wants red grass cloth (Phillip-Jeffries 3480-Turks & Caicos Orange, African Raffia) but I would prefer a more neutral color. This is a more marital issue than home decor one, but I welcome suggestions here as well. Thank you all so much.
December 22, 2012 at 7:18AM   
PRO
An easy fix would be to move the 2 floor lamps to flank the white print, get some wiremold to cover the lamp wires (as a lighting person visible wires annoy me, LOL) and change the white print to one with a black frame like the others, I like red so your husbands idea of the red grass cloth works for me
December 22, 2012 at 7:25AM     
ckiefer757
I am not sure hat the gold is the right color for the walls, maybe a nice green or warm neutral. That color seems to stand on its own in the room, you could also try to add accents in that tone to validate it, as a designer, I think it is your main problem :) cheers.
December 22, 2012 at 7:25AM   
olldroo
ranchownerad - it is easy to sit here and change things but when you have just purchased everything that certainly isn't possible. I just hope all the suggested changes haven't made you discontented with what you have as I think you have done a great job and I really like the colours you have chosen. If this is the visual entry to your home then it would definitely make me excited to see more.

Leave your prints as they are for now, over time you will either come to like them or they will annoy you and with time you may just find a perfect piece of artwork to replace them with. I don't think artwork is the sort of thing you can just rush out and buy like you would a piece of furniture.

I am in two minds about the bottom of the wall, my initial reaction was to match it too your curtains, but then I also liked the idea of matching it to your blinds, I think it would be a lot less contrast. Unfortunately that decision will be up to you and hubby to work out. Maybe do you need a trade-off in another room??? Heehee.
December 22, 2012 at 1:34PM     
ranchownerad
Reading all the suggestions-- change the wall color, change the draperies, change the console, change the chairs, change the art, change the cushions, remove the lamps--have indeed taken the wind out of my sails a bit, I must say. I did not think the situation was that dire, but I do agree with most of the comments (although some are contradictory). I was going for a warm and casual look; not only is it the first room you see when you open the front door, but we use it a lot (for meals, homework, and family games).

My husband has seemed to have taken charge of this room, however, and does not want to change a thing, except for the red grass cloth. I do think we should at least move the two standing lamps to one wall (so they either flank the console or the big white framed art); maybe I can win that one.
December 22, 2012 at 2:26PM     
roomi
The situation is not that dire in my opinion but I can see red taking over if you put even more on the walls? Are the drapes really necessary? What annoys me is the high positioning of them. I would put up a pelmet and shorten them slightly.
December 22, 2012 at 2:35PM   
designideas4me
I like that glass buffet table and all your decorations. I find it eclectic and playful and interesting.
December 22, 2012 at 2:44PM   
ranchownerad
[Ok, now that I looked up "pelmet"]: although I had the rod professionally installed the curtains are "off the rack" and it shows. The room without them looked cold and I wanted to make it cozier. We could certainly benefit from a more tailored look in the curtains (having them shortened) and covering the bare rod, maybe with a fabric that blends with the gold color of the walls; this may take the edge off all the redness.Thank you for that suggestion; that is something we can definitely do.
December 22, 2012 at 2:50PM   
designideas4me
I think maybe some artwork that is a bit abstract ( no specific design like on the rug or runner) just something subtle with your room colors ( not tooo much color) maybe some white in it. I would replace the black and white prints with that. It could even be a 3d art piece in the same wood as the table to add interest. I think that would tie in better to your theme . the prints that are there seem out of place with the rug and curtains.
December 22, 2012 at 2:59PM   
PRO
EB Interiors
Love the room and accessories. wallpaper would be a great way to add more texture and color. we carry a complete line of wallpaper including phillip jeffries and many other great grasscloths...
feel free to contact us for great pricing and ideas at thesatinstripe@yahoo.com.
esther
December 22, 2012 at 4:11PM   
groveraxle
I love the room. The one thing I would change is to paint the wainscoting the same color as the sisal rug. I would not do grasscloth or wallpaper; it will make the room too busy.

Love the furniture including the green cushions, the table runner, the rug. The drapes are fine.

As for the picture wall, the size is right, but I would look for original abstract canvases, a large diptych perhaps. Wait till you find something that floats your boat.
December 22, 2012 at 4:40PM     
PRO
I don't think grasscloth is busy. It's a background texture that adds interest without being bold. I, too, would like to see a nice piece of modern art on the wall.
December 22, 2012 at 5:30PM     
PRO
I think what I haven't said and should say is that I LOVE what you've done with the room. The rug is fabulous! The draperies are dynamite with the rug. The wall color is happy and fun and I'd love to have dinner in this room. What more can one ask of a dining room. We houzzers can nitpick and we DO, and sometimes we don't add that you've done a great job.
December 22, 2012 at 5:36PM     
ranchownerad
Thank you Carolyn! How about I paint the lower wall the same color as the top? That would certainly be an economic solution. It may be hard to tell in the photograph, but BM Marblehead gold on the walls picks up an accent color in the rug, and is also close the the sisal color.[ My goal is to unify the disparate elements and make it less patchwork-like]. If that is too overpowering, maybe just a lighter shade of the same color (?).

I will also refine the window treatment, covering the rod and tailoring the curtains, and hide the lamp wires. Eventually I will replace the art.
December 22, 2012 at 6:17PM     
PRO
Yes, I think you could paint the lower walls just the same as the upper walls until you decide on the definitive solution. As for the covering the rod??? I can't tell but it looks like an iron rod to me. If not, then get one. If it is, don't cover it. Can't have a lamp (yet) without a cord. Such is life.
December 22, 2012 at 7:13PM     
larry1333
Maybe a shade of green?
December 22, 2012 at 7:31PM   
myrielle
oh my gosh I think I am going to faint right now I love it I wish that was mine help me I love it
December 22, 2012 at 7:53PM   
collettec
Actually SO much to like about your room. Your rug is beautiful and fun, love your furniture and your mix of colors. I think painting the lower portion of the wall the same color would work fine. In terms of the room being pulled together, I think there are a few things you might do to balance it. I would consider switching out the black and white prints so that the smallest one was in the middle and center the lamp under it. I would move the floor lamp on that side to the other side of the room so that it flanked the other side of the picture. I would introduce some black and white elements somewhere else in the room in order to pull in the black and white pictures. Perhaps something like a black and white chevron pattern runner on the table and a colorful vase that matched some of your other colors with flowers or another colorful centerpiece. It might be fun if you could find something for the centerpiece that pulled from the sunflowers in your rug as a possibility. It looks like a very inviting room!
December 22, 2012 at 10:40PM     
apennameandthata
Strange how the room should work so well, but didn't. It doesn't reflect badly on you.

I think that part of the problem is that dinging rooms are inherently formal and people just don't dine any more. You have gone super casual, even edgy with your dining set up. So, the best way to make it congruent with its surrings would be to... knock the wall out and go open plan. Failing that, get rid of the chair rail and paint the wall all one colour: it does not matter what you do, the two-level design will always look too formal and dated.

Having done that, get some REALLY edgy tribal art, like the first person said, and funk that space UP.

December 23, 2012 at 12:31AM     
maggiesetler
I think the room is very nice, but I think what is missing is balance.

I would paint the bottom of the wall the same color as the top; move the lamps together(on the empty wall); paint the frame of the large art black and move it over the console. I would hang the 3 pictures on the other side (flanked by the two large lamps) and maybe add a few more to make it a gallery wall. That side of the room is too empty.

As for your husband -- tell him you want to try the room this way for a few weeks and if he doesn’t like it you can move it back –sometimes people can’t visualize things until they are done. All these changes are easy and you can always add the grass cloth wallpaper later.
December 23, 2012 at 5:15AM     
lynettefrancois
You've done a fabulous job! The white in the room is what is throwing you off, and the fact that everything is matched absolutely perfectly! Change the white to cream or beige or tan, and add a centerpiece with some variations of the current colors that do not match soooo perfectly. You are going to have to play with this because you seem more comfortable with the absolute matching- try out some fresh flowers in a a variety of colors; try some purple. The cool of the purple will give you some visual relief from all the warm tones. Good luck!
December 23, 2012 at 5:16AM     
PRO
Maison Pompeii Antiques and Interiors
I run the risk of being critizied for my view but here goes. I think there are too many things going on in this room that fight with each other. A great rug, stylistically now, with a rustic table and bench with Danish chairs, Modern cold console, misplaced but fabulous floor lamps, colors from the 70s and drapes that are too long. Not sure what is going on with the artwork but it is not hung in a way that makes me want to enjoy it. Eclectic is great but the items must speak to each other. There needs to more unity among all the items. I would paint the same color above and below the chair rail and bring the drapery color to your seating. Grass cloth has the inherent problem in that it fades over time and then the aqrea behind console will not and it will be hard to move things around at a leter date. I would suggest that if you could change something out it would be the table , chairs and Bench. Get something more cohesive. I hate to use the word set but in dining furniture it is probably OK. At least get all the seating to match( another word I dislike), possibly with upholstered backs to soften the room. Personally I do not like benches as they are not good for dining because of no back support. Move the console under the large painitng and flank with the two floor lamps as previously suggested. I would arrange the others else where or atleast in a different configuration. May be the two smaller ones stacked next to the other one but that will depend on the actual sizes. I agree with shortening the drapes to just break on the floor. While it seems like I have attacked the whole room I am only suggesting replacing chairs and possibly table while rearranging the rest of what you have. Unify though color, texture, or theme and you can still be eclectic. The back of a beautifully upholstered chair actually makes me want to see the rest of the room. It is all in the details.
December 23, 2012 at 5:39AM   
PRO
caitiekay
I think the room looks really nice. The thing i notice is that the ceiling looks like it "floats", giving the sense of not being "grounded" to the rest of the space. While high ceilings are often desirable, sometimes bringing them down, visually adds intimacy.
What about painting a rectangle of color over the space that defines the sitting area, not just the table, but the chairs as well, or a simle ceiling medallian, or even simple trim that defines a space that mimics a coved ceiling. That would require very little change to other elements that I think work well.
December 23, 2012 at 5:45AM   
designideas4me
Catiekay... when painting a ceiling over a table would that work best if you have a dining room that is separate from the other rooms? If my living and dining room are one than would this idea work for me? I have a feeling that its specific to a room with walls around it such as the room posted by ranchownerad.
December 23, 2012 at 5:57AM   
designideas4me
Catiekay... when painting a ceiling over a table would that work best if you have a dining room that is separate from the other rooms? If my living and dining room are one than would this idea work for me? I have a feeling that its specific to a room with walls around it such as the room posted by ranchownerad.
December 23, 2012 at 5:57AM   
jjandhk
hi ranchowerad, I love your room! I wouldn't paint the wainscotting--it keeps the room brighter. I would extend the drapery rods and panels out to the side walls. And find another room for the 2 floor lamps.....Otherwise, I think you did a beautiful job!!
December 23, 2012 at 6:08AM   
PRO
caitiekay
Here are images of a couple of ceiling treatment ideas I wanted to include in my first post. These are painted on or applied, doesn't cost much or require construction.

ranchownerad, you may consider a rectangle that centers with the trim between your windows, this will connect it visually to the walls.

designideas4me, I think with a simple rectangle, or shape, depending on your space the painted treatment can really help define a separate space visually.

[houzz=
]
December 23, 2012 at 6:19AM   
ranchownerad
I think apennameandthata hit the nail on the head about the molding on the walls: it is inherently formal and we are going for casual, and that is why it is giving me such trouble.

Here are some more photos (showing the vestibule and front door): I moved the lamps (I know some feel they are out of place but we really need the light). That big piece of art is a exhibition poster (I worked on the exhibition so it has sentimental value); although its style is too slick for the rest of the room it is playful and colorful. The prints on the other side of the room are by Christo; a couple of them are signed. There is a little bit of mustardy yellow in each but I agree they are out of synch with the rest of the room. There was a fabulous Pottery Barn glass lamp with a black and white cowhide shade that I wanted for that spot (it would have picked up the b/w from the top (as emzc suggested), but they sold out of them! I will eventually replace the art with more rustic pieces.

I really like the table, chairs and bench and it is not practical to replace them. It is the Crate and Barrel Honey Basque set; we may get the buffet (sans hutch) for the wall opposite the glass table. Eventually we may break down part of the wall between the dining room and the kitchen and make it a more open and casual space.

Caitiekay: I am intrigued by your ceiling idea. Would you be able to link to some examples?
December 23, 2012 at 6:34AM   
5060janeth
Just getting around table would do a lot, I like the round chandalier
December 23, 2012 at 6:51AM   
ranchownerad
caitiekay: thanks for the examples; our posts crossed. The yellow one is particularly apt and I could see it working in my space very nicely. I like the ceiling medallion idea too; maybe a round shape that echoes the flowers in the rug would work (as long as it is not too traditional).
December 23, 2012 at 7:16AM   
Darzy
Yes! The room looks very nice. I love the rug, casual style and the drapes. My two cents in minor tweaking. I'd suggest just swapping the art. Put the exhibition poster above the console and the black and whites on the other wall. Get another sheepskin (end to end) to fill the entire bench. Remove the table runner. I'd also edit the console and remove the center top item with the sticks in it and edit the second shelf. Rearrange items to visually see odd numbers when you glance at it. Lookin good! Oh..I'd just paint the bottom of the walls the same color as the top. (But, I'd even remove the chair rail...it's not really your style).
December 23, 2012 at 9:17AM   
Carolina Girl
Use of a mirror would help reflect light and show off your lovely chandalier. I like the floor lamps on the same side of the room but do put a sideboard, possibly painted, between them. I have the same colors in my carpet in my LR. Keep casual thoughts and enjoy your space.
December 23, 2012 at 9:19AM   
ranchownerad
Maybe a single (or arrangement of) sunburst mirror(s) to replace the art? We are planning on a buffet console in between the lamps (the Honey Basque buffet cabinet that goes with the table and chairs). Also continue the gold color on the walls, tailor the draperies, refine the glass console arrangement.

Remove the runner? The table is so big I feel I need some color there. I will certainly devise some kind of centerpiece once I find the right object; have been looking at bowls and platters of all sorts and have not find the right one yet. I think it needs to be big, dramatic and round (to contrast with the dominant rectangular table and pick up the round pattern of the flowers in the rug and chandelier.

Thank you all for the excellent responses.
December 23, 2012 at 9:48AM     
Darzy
ranchownerad..I really like the table runner individually but not sure it works with the rug pattern and the vertical stripes of the drapes, and then horizontal stripes on the runner. How about a solid color runner taken from the rug? Until you find the perfect centerpiece, how about a big oval basket? Lots at Ross', Home Goods, etc and fill with oranges and other fruits. Food is pretty. : ) Or a large pedestal bowl. Oh..I was thinking the same as you to bring in more "round" items to relate to rug pattern and chandelier. Love your sunburst mirrors idea.
December 23, 2012 at 10:10AM   
susan609
it's a wonderful, lovely room. I think a big, happy centerpiece — red, yellow and orange flowers with greens echoing the colors in your great rug, more emphasis on the arrangement than the bowl — will make a huge difference. It will bring everything together, soften the tablescape and create an inviting space. You could save a space on your console where you can put it if it gets in the way of family meals or homework. Then you can work out the other details.

Having said that, I think the red on the lower wall, with the golden-yellow will be too intense. And perhaps you can switch the photos with the gallery print so the other wall will echo the black graphic lines of the glass console, giving a bit more balance.
December 23, 2012 at 10:25AM     
ciaosusanna
I too think you did a great job, I like most things in it and a lot of the suggestions would take it in a totally different direction. It seems to me that you want what you have to look better?
My two cents: Lamp cords, get covers at Lamps Plus, wrap them and pin to the wall/floor. I would pull out the bench for now and put it under the the big picture and put a few things on it, it will fill the space and balance better and be easy to move for use,move the chairs, put one next to the iron table with a fun fabric or over in the corner next to the drape, love the two lamps on that wall now.
OR: move the black iron table under the art and put the two lamps and bench on the other wall with the black and whites. I would rehang the pics , one large to the left or right and the other two high and low close to it with the lamps flanking it.
Paint color: I like it with the white wainscoting and it does not feel that formal to me, it's a very simple wainscoting. I wouldn't bring in another color there but you could cut the BM color in half and paint it. I also find stripes very playful so could imagine stripes down there, painted not paper in a playful design to go with the rug and drapes.
Drapes: Can you pull them over a little to almost cover the side windows and then either tie them over to the side or tie in the middle and pin up to the wall to make a low pouf, would make them a bit more casual, I think its the pinch pleats that are too formal for the room, love the fabric.
December 23, 2012 at 10:26AM   
Darzy
How about a "collection" of wooden candlesticks for your centerpiece? This sample photo only shows two candles, but I'd prefer 5 in varying heights. That way you could add color with the candles, either all the same color, or mix up the colors to be more fun! You'll also be able to have an impromptu candlelight dinner anytime!

December 23, 2012 at 10:44AM   
ranchownerad
Attached is a makeshift solution using items I had handy: a stool to prop the table lamp on; a rubber band to hold back the curtain, and a chair for that left corner with a pillow (to stand in for a small upholstered chair that may go there eventually). Removed the striped runner and put a round red platter under the plant. Moved the glass console to the other side of the room and edited the objects a little. We will eventually have a buffet (part of the set that matches the table and chairs) on the other side of the wall. [Ciaosusanna: like all your suggestions but the bench is too heavy to keep moving back and forth from the wall to the table; we do use it for seating throughout the day.]
December 23, 2012 at 12:49PM     
Darzy
I like this better. Except I like the curtains hung straight. Also, I'd move the bench to the other side of the table so that there is a "break" with the console, bench, table. (all sort of the same kind of shape/height). Sooo, the chairs on the console side of the table. Console, chairs, table, bench. Hey..how would those pretty green and yellow trays look together on the table runner? It may look nice to see those colors above the rug and on the brown of the table.
December 23, 2012 at 1:22PM     
csmrtn
I think your room is lovely! There are very few people in this world who have your decorating "guts" Good for you! I might suggest the you have one of the flowers in the pattern in your rug painted on the ceiling around the light fixture. To finish the look, paint a 1 to 2 inch border on the ceiling around the room, indented perhaps 7" from the walls to frame your masterpiece! Oh what fun!
December 23, 2012 at 1:26PM     
jjandhk
I like the floor lamps flanking the console; altho I' also like the drapery panels to hang straight; not sure about the corner chair idea. Just wondering....could you place 2 dining chairs on each side of the table; and the bench on one end.....or is the bench too long? --I think the room would look more balanced. I also like the idea of using the colourful trays on the tabletop--maybe on top of the striped runner (I kinda liked that runner :) ....maybe the centerpiece you have right now is too small.
December 23, 2012 at 2:23PM   
Suzanne Eder
Looking great! I can't believe what a difference moving the glass console made. Now how about reversing the positions of the black and white pictures so the smaller one is near the entrance to the room and you go from small to large--drawing your eye into the room.
December 23, 2012 at 2:47PM   
ciaosusanna
Wow, that looks great ! I would put one of the dinning chairs in the corner for now instead of introducing another style, maybe even over with the little table and lamp, make a little corner vignette. I don't like three chairs on one side and one at the head. How about bench on one side, two chairs on the other side, two chairs and the lamp and table to make a little vignette to balance out the heavy side?
I too liked the striped runner on the wood table.
I would pull the curtain above the rubber band to make a ) shape and it will be more casual too.
December 23, 2012 at 3:16PM     
ranchownerad
good idea. Suzanne. I will try it and send new photos when the whole room is done.

Thanks all.
December 23, 2012 at 3:17PM   
designideas4me
Ok I will take that little glass console table if you dont want it. I have the perfect spot for it...lol
December 23, 2012 at 3:23PM   
olldroo
ranchownerad - can I suggest you paint the bottom of the wall the same as the top, and paint the chair rail as well, so you can get the effect before you do anything drastic. That way it is always there when you decorate in the future. I didn't mind the striped runner, but you obviously have a lot of choices so can change things around as your mood takes you. Love the print, the colours are perfect for the room and the lamps each side look great. PLEASE put your curtains back straight they keep the room casual that way..

You are aiming for a casual room, so try to stay focussed on that, I think many suggestions here, while great suggestions, could take your room away from the casual look you are trying to achieve.

I hope you have a lovely Christmas in your new home and best wishes to all Houzzers for the Festive Season.
December 23, 2012 at 3:33PM     
PRO
Maison Pompeii Antiques and Interiors
I really like how the console, painting and floor lamps look now. The white wall is essentially covered as are the lamp cords that everyone is so upset about. Try re doing the art on the other wall as I had suggested also. Hem the drapes and let them hang straight down. Buy your buffet and put it on the other wall.
December 23, 2012 at 3:54PM   
ranchownerad
Once we get the buffet for the opposite wall, we may not need to paint the bottom half (but we'll see). I let the curtains hang straight again and will hem them. Eventually we will revise the art; I like the idea of a rustic sunburst mirror but will not invest until we install the buffet. That black chair in the corner is just a makeshift; I would like to get a Crate and Barrel Cody dining chair for that spot (it is upholstered) or maybe just a floor vase. [Not enough room for a corner vignette.]

Thank you all again.
December 23, 2012 at 4:21PM     
roomi
I agree that with your style the draperies need to hang straight. But take them lower and cool them off with a pelmet. This will really work to bring the eye down and send it where it should go ie the nice view out the window. I miss the table runner!
December 23, 2012 at 11:23PM   
PRO
I think the console table with the lamps on either side of the white framed print looks fantastic!!
December 24, 2012 at 5:16AM     
apennameandthata
Yeah, its amazing how rearranging stuff works. I never can anticipate how it will help, but others can.

One reason (no, truly) that I did not suggest putting the lamps together on the same wall, was that they already had that role on either side of the wall where the photo was taken from. So, maybe that wall looks less good now. Just sayin.

To, I like how the blinds and curtains are layered. But the curtains should probs hand straight down.
December 24, 2012 at 5:34AM   
apennameandthata
Too, thanks for posting after photos. Preciate it.
December 24, 2012 at 5:35AM   
Carolina Girl
Your room is really pulling together. I don't know how you have taken the best from all the comments but you have done a fantastic job. If you decide to buy upholstered chairs for the ends of the table you could set one of them in the corner, when not in use. Hope you have a great Christmas dinner in that room. Please do post more pictures when you make the rest of your changes.
December 24, 2012 at 7:10AM     
PRO
Tracy Penner, Landscape Architect
I love this room. The moved floor lamps and console look amazing. And your overhead lighting is perfect with the tall drapes. Don't paint the ceiling detail! The room decor brings your focus to eye level, which is exactly what makes the conversation flow at a dinner table.

All it needs:
1. Dark to mid toned grass cloth covering the white bottom of wall, to match either blinds or curtains. The red is warm and will create excitement; the natural will be more subdued. Personally, I'd go with the red -- great counter point to the grey entry walls.
2. One large round item on the console will add just the needed softness to your rectilinear furnishings (like the standing plate in another's comments, or a smooth polished wooden bowl)
3. A darker yet narrow picture frame on the large poster.

Oh, and I like your table runner better than the plate in the centre of the table. Maybe put that red plate on a plate stand on the console?

And you're done!
December 24, 2012 at 11:25AM   
ranchownerad
I did not plan on changing the ceiling, but now we come 'round to my initial question of the red grass cloth for the bottom half of the wall.

My apprehension about it is: it will not match the exact red of the curtains so it may look a little off, it will be too intense and/or give a "color block" effect, whereas I was aiming for integration. Furthermore, after we install the buffet for the left side, much of the lower wall will not be visible anyway. It is also expensive. It would be a worthy investment (in red or some other color) if it integrates and warms up the space, but if continuing the paint from the top has the same effect grass cloth would be an unnecessary extravagance.

As far as the console and table arrangements, I will be fooling around with these for a while until I hit the right note. If anyone wants to post some photos or products for inspiration, they would be much appreciated.

Thank you all again!
December 24, 2012 at 11:49AM   
ranchownerad
I did not plan on changing the ceiling, but now we come 'round to my initial question of the red grass cloth for the bottom half of the wall.

My apprehension about it is: it will not match the exact red of the curtains so it may look a little off, it will be too intense and/or give a "color block" effect, whereas I was aiming for integration. Furthermore, after we install the buffet for the left side, much of the lower wall will not be visible anyway. It is also expensive. It would be a worthy investment (in red or some other color) if it integrates and warms up the space, but if continuing the paint from the top has the same effect grass cloth would be an unnecessary extravagance.

As far as the console and table arrangements, I will be fooling around with these for a while until I hit the right note. If anyone wants to post some photos or products for inspiration, they would be much appreciated.

Thank you all again!
December 24, 2012 at 11:51AM   
PRO
Tracy Penner, Landscape Architect
I agree, if you are ultimately going to buy the buffet, the texture on the wall behind it would be redundant.

However, if adding the texture and colour will finish the room off, you might not need the buffet at all?

Plus unless you keep the consol on the opposite site, you will still have one wall fully exposed. If you have enough width in the room for both consol and buffet, I would agree, just paint the bottom to match the wall above.

One final factor is noise reflection: if the dining room is at all noisy, cloth on the wall will help to reduce the effect. Grass cloth walls lend a cozy, intimate feeling to a dining room as well, in a less formal way than a linen table cloth.
December 24, 2012 at 12:33PM   
olldroo
Ranchownerad - sorry, but unless you use a similar shade of red to your curtains, any other red on your walls is a NO from me. The shades in your room are what I would call autumn colours which is why they all blend so well and give such a harmonious look to the room. To bring in a bright red or a crimson or any other shade of absolute red would kill the whole effect. If you can't decide then maybe either leave the white or play safe with the yellow, especially if you have surplus paint, finish off your room and live with it for a while before making any further decisions.
December 25, 2012 at 1:20AM     
Carolina Girl
I like olldroo's idea except if you have left over paint you may want to stretch it by tinting it just a shade or two darker and then paint below the rail. Also placing a mirror on the table under the chandelier would make a great base for any center piece and wipes clean easily.
December 25, 2012 at 6:00AM   
frenchdecor
So many great ideas. Like last posted arrangement (2 lamps, console, single picture). Tie up loose cords under console table, or if on opposite wall receptacles are located on proper place for two lamps you could just transfer the arrangement exactly as it is now to other wall. Painting bottom part of the wall the same color as top is tempting, however it could be too yellow (wall+floor). I think more natural textured bottom part wall would be better. There plenty of natural light add a big plant. If you use a lot dining room and as well for kids activities, to disguise not always pristine view I thought about adding french doors on entry side opening. It looks the same height as entrance doors and if it's not more than 5' wide standard double doors should be okay.
December 25, 2012 at 10:47PM   
Darzy
If you want to add color to the bottom of the chair rail...how about taking your curtains and have Lowe's, Home Depot colormatch the curtain color. That would tie it all together. It looks lovely now..great job!
December 26, 2012 at 11:57AM     
shawnee
I think when you love a color...really embrace it! (And paint is so easy to change). Get rid of the chair rail and paint the entire walls the same red or coral red as the deep color of the flowers in the rug to really add warmth to the room. White sheers will lighten/brighten. At some point you will come across some fantastic interesting looking sideboard to put in front of the floor lamp plug. Don't worry about it. Let it find you. Same about changing the artwork. It's not just something you use to fill up a space. You will at some time run into a work of art that you just love looking it. Meanwhile enjoy your life and your kids.
December 26, 2012 at 3:53PM   
ranchownerad
Thanks queenabbycat: right now, I really like the contrast between my hall color (a gray-blue, visible in the second set of photos I posted) and the gold of the dining room. I also do not want to change the curtains (at this point, anyway). But I do love red and white (with gold touches), and your suggestions would definitely work.
December 26, 2012 at 7:48PM   
thegriers
Hi. Love your room. Bright and happy. I think if you put the red grass cloth below the rail and it doesn't match the drapes your just going to add more problems.Just add pops of red around the room if you want more of it around. I do think you're right. After adding the new buffet on the other side it won't make much difference about the color and I think the white looks good and really makes your furniture and accessories pop against it. If you do decide to change it I would just match the color you already have at the top to keep the room from looking choppy. I agree with someone earlier that said a darker frame on your poster would look better. You could paint that yourself. I think it looks great in the room. I think an affordable and attractive way to fill that big empty corner would be a tall plant in a great pot. In time I would replace the black & white artwork because it just doesn't seem to fit but it might really be great somewhere else in your house. Have you considered having them matted and reframed in a way that would make them more of the same size? I really think you used great creatively in this room and I love the colors.
January 3, 2013 at 6:30AM