powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Some fabric for sofa or drapes? happy holiday!
applecider1111
December 21, 2012 in Design Dilemma
linen/cotton/poly
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
decoenthusiaste
Tropical for sunroom sofa. Other for formal living drapes.
December 21, 2012 at 12:37pm     
applecider1111
two sides fabric but different color
December 21, 2012 at 12:39pm   
applecider1111
I don't have sunroom, or for patio chair?
December 21, 2012 at 12:40pm   
TanCalGal
Photo of chair, or room chair is in?
December 21, 2012 at 2:27pm   
houssaon
I could see the first fabric on drapery panels and on a streamline sofa, all with a tropical flair.
December 21, 2012 at 11:44pm   
olldroo
Don't understand applecider, what are you aiming to do?
December 22, 2012 at 2:27am     
applecider1111
hi, olldroo

just saw some good fabric online and the price is super, the 2nd one 2.8 m width , $18/ yard

and it's cotton/linen

normally how much is that?

is it good for the drapes? seems the current style is more modern and simple instead of traditional and complicated, right?
December 24, 2012 at 5:06pm   
olldroo
applecider - sorry, have no idea of your prices so can't comment there and 2.8m in width is very wide for a standard curtain fabric. The problem with buying online, you have no idea of the weight of the fabric. A cotton/linen probably is fairly heavy so could be used for a heavy feature curtain or for upholstery. The second group of three photos you posted definitely look a heavy upholstery weave and bearing in mind anything heavy would restrict light entering the room, they could be too heavy for curtains.

Before you buy (if you do) you would need to know exactly how and where you are going to use it to assess the suitability of the fabric, choose colour, style of fabric and estimate the yardage you need.
December 25, 2012 at 1:52am     
applecider1111
hi, olldroo
thanks for the reply.

the weight of the 2nd cream color fabric is 1.28 kg/meter, ( length 1 m, width 2.8 m ) so do you think it's good for the drapes?

also this style is kind of out-of date , right?
December 26, 2012 at 12:45pm   
TanCalGal
My 2cents.
I sew, but I've never made drapes. I think get really tired of the bright tropical fabric design, unless used in small amounts, like an occasional chair (see chairs).

The other fabric looks nice, but might be old fashioned? I'd like it in my LR, but would you like it? What is your style? Have you ever made drapes? If you're a beginning drape-sewist, choose a solid fabric so you don't have to match the designs. Sometimes it's just as economical to buy drapes and sew on trim for that custom look.
December 26, 2012 at 1:36pm     
applecider1111
hi, olldj22

really like your comment.

I am fine with the 2nd cream fabric, how do you think its thickness and the weight?

I never do any sewing, will buy the fabric and send out somewhere to make the drapes.

So I just want to pick the color , pattern of the fabric, of course consider about the price also ;

what is the current trend of the drapes? classic or modern?
December 26, 2012 at 3:40pm   
TanCalGal
What is the color of walls? Tell me about your furniture (color & style). My guess is this fabric (beige, brown, gold) is more suitable for upholstery or a pillow. McCroskey Interiors Longstaffe Dining Arm Chair - Damask Gold

Call the drape person and ask about fabric weight and drape yardage, I don't know. I *do* know, you'll need additional fabric to match patterns (sometimes quite a bit more yardage) + you'll need lining yardage.
December 26, 2012 at 4:10pm   
olldroo
Hi, j22, nice to see you are still around, hope you had a lovely Christmas.

Applecider, agree with j22, it is hard to guess fabric without actually feeling it. The fabric you have chosen is more what I would call a period pattern and would look best in a very traditional room, either lounge room, dining room or bedroom, you just couldn't put that fabric in any room.

If you want more help deciding, post photos of your room and tell us what style you are aiming for.
December 26, 2012 at 4:20pm   
TanCalGal
Hi-ya Roo, Thanks. A lovely Christmas! You, too? Afraid to say too much any more. ;)
December 26, 2012 at 4:48pm     
applecider1111
thanks , 2 odds :)

my living room is more like this, light yellow wall color,

so do you think which style is better for it , traditional or modern?
December 26, 2012 at 4:53pm   
olldroo
If your sofa is like that definitely not - sorry. Something a bit more contempory with shades of yellow to tone with your wall could be nice if you want colour in the room.
December 26, 2012 at 4:59pm   
TanCalGal
"2 odds" lol. Funny. We're "olld" friends.

Do you have the light yellow walls & leather furniture as shown, too?
December 26, 2012 at 5:00pm     
olldroo
olldj22 - know what you mean, at least come and say hello.
December 26, 2012 at 5:01pm   
TanCalGal
Roo: Oh my gosh. I didn't know it had restarted. I thought the whole thing fell through...
December 26, 2012 at 5:04pm   
olldroo
j22 - we decided to be ourselves.
December 26, 2012 at 5:06pm   
applecider1111
sorry, my fault:) typo

Yes, my sofa and wall color are just like those in the picture

so these two should be better?
December 26, 2012 at 6:03pm   
TanCalGal
applecider: do you have an area rug or anything else that should be taken into consideration? Do you need the privacy at windows? Many people leave the windows bare today.

If you don't have a rug etc. to take into consideration, I would choose a solid color drape that matches the wall. Then you can choose some ethnic fabric pillows and maybe an area rug someday or 2 chairs with a pattern (all of those in this photo). living room 1

Here's a pale yellow drape & black rod Malibu Mediterranean
December 26, 2012 at 6:24pm   
applecider1111
I haven't buy the carpet yet, I really like the 2nd picture, looks very tidy and clean. fashion
December 27, 2012 at 8:52am     
TanCalGal
Once you find a room photo that appeals to you: use it for inspiration...
December 27, 2012 at 9:53am   
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
Not in my house but that's what makes this business so fun no two people are the same.
December 27, 2012 at 9:57am     
applecider1111
hi, Interiors Inc.

So what's your opinion? you must be very professional.

olldj22, will discuss with you more later :) thanks
December 27, 2012 at 10:51am     
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
@applecider1111 Hoping that wasn't a sarcastic remark and are assuming it wasn't. All my clients are different obviously.Although, when I do multiple homes for them they are still different. The space and location dictates some of how a place looks. I sincerely could not live in most my clients homes. It is not that they are not beautiful they just are not me. A home is an outward expression of the unexpressed personalities of the people who inhabit them. I have never done the same thing twice. All my clients like that idea. I have done 15 exact condo floor plans. I did total remodels including new room layouts. None of the are the same not even the floor plans. Being they all know each other this makes them very happy. I hope that this helps to know me a bit better.
December 27, 2012 at 11:08am   
lepstein
I think you shouldn't worry so much about trends and go with what you like. Your first fabric was modern and whimsical; the second was traditional. Also, it depends on what piece of furniture (or as drapes) you are putting it on. I agree that everyone's taste is different and YOU are the one living with it. Personally, I am a traditionalist, but I love to put in a surprise element and/ or whimsy...and I love lots of colour. My own walls are strong yellow (BM Dance de Soleil). Love warm colours & pattern. Still figuring out my furniture. BTW: I am not a professional, just someone who loves this site.
January 1, 2013 at 12:27pm     
applecider1111
thanks lepstein

would you mind posting some of your pictures , so I can get some idea?
January 2, 2013 at 10:28am   
More Discussions
Design gurus needed! Extend and remodel my ground floor please
We are planning a large double storey extension at...
What to do with this living room?
Our living room is north facing and so pretty dark...
Trim and arbor paint color, brick home
Recently purchased this 1960s fixer-upper. I'm looking...
I will NEVER have _____ in my home!
What's the one thing (or a few things) you refuse to...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.