powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with window sill and skirting board colours.
leesaoz
December 21, 2012 in Design Dilemma
We have just renovated a new house and have stained timber colonial style windows. The window sills inside are not stained timber and need to be painted. The new doors are also timber and will be stained. The walls will be Antique White USA. Tossing up between a dusky grey green (we have this in our current house but the windows and doors are cream) or a cream/white (but too similar to wall colour) or a darker cream colour (half sandy day). Our furniture is navy blue and cream. The new kitchen has dark grey bench and cupboards are the dark cream colour. We are planning to install white/cream plantation shutters. Any thoughts on what colour to use for window and door surrounds and skirting boards? Thanks in advance.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
leesaoz
The windows and doors are cedar and will be stained a fairly natural colour. Floor will be oiled cypress pine. I just don't know what paint goes with timber.
December 21, 2012 at 1:45PM   
TanCalGal
The window sills are going to be painted & the windows stained? I have never seen this. Usually the windows & window sills are either stained or painted.
December 21, 2012 at 6:23PM     
PRO
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
I agree olldj22, it's too jumbled up with having a combination of stained and painted. I like stained doors with painted "everything else", but not stained windows too... With stained windows, I'd want stained window trim, skirting boards, door casings, the works...
December 21, 2012 at 8:49PM   
leesaoz
Unfortunately the sills are not suitable for staining but the windows too nice to paint....
December 22, 2012 at 12:23AM   
TanCalGal
leesaoz this is most interesting. Can you send a photo?
December 22, 2012 at 10:39AM   
leesaoz
Sorry for the delay - Christmas got very busy. Hope the pic works out. This is one of 3 windows and a door that is the same.
January 2, 2013 at 11:21PM   
leesaoz
January 2, 2013 at 11:24PM   
January 2, 2013 at 11:25PM   
leesaoz
The picture of the window has the wood in an unstained condition but we would look at a natural stain.
January 2, 2013 at 11:25PM   
TanCalGal
Thank you 4 the photo. I do not think I have ever seen this combination. I like it, though. Looks great!

This photo is not exactly like yours b/c the sills are a natural stain. The photo shows a designer using the natural window stain in other room areas to tie the natural window stain to the room (frame on art, flooring, bed frame). Boerum Hill House, Brooklyn

This room has a black (or very dark stain) frame. I like the natural stain you have better. Frankly, I think this room might have looked better with a natural stain window frame to tie in with the flooring, furniture and sisal rug. Hill Country Contemporary

I looked at the color links, I like the antique white for the walls, but from here, I don't like the trim color. I'd choose a trim color in white or cream to match the plantation shutters, cream in furniture and the cream tone in the cupboards. Usually I like the trim color lighter than the walls or the same as the walls.
January 3, 2013 at 8:21AM   
leesaoz
Thanks I had forgotten about the shutters. I think you are right. White or off white it is
January 9, 2013 at 11:37PM