powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Any thought on this coffee table in this room?
Theresa Pondok
December 21, 2012 in Design Dilemma
looking for a coffee table- thoughts on this one?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
juma decor
The space could use either a round or square about 42" x 42". If you are referring to the coffee tables in the little picture, I think it is way to industrial looking for your warm and inviting home. If you are looking for a reasonable priced one check out Stanleyfurniture.com, or Lexington or Artistica home.
December 21, 2012 at 1:48pm     
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
It is to light visually for the room and to cold looking. I agree with Juma.
December 21, 2012 at 1:50pm     
Keerthi Naidu
I love it! I like the fact that it's a different style from the rest of your furniture and adds a modern twist.
December 21, 2012 at 1:51pm   
Bond Girl
I agree with Keerthi. I think it is fun. I'm less concerned about it looking too industrial, and more concerned with the color. Everything in the room is either a mid-shade of brown or has that color in it. You are living in a beige world, and there are so many great colors. Coffee tables aren't expensive, and are a chance to take risk with some color. Have fun, and get some color in that room. Do I see a red or orange in the sunroom behind? That might work. You are right to go bigger, that one is too small. If you're sitting in the couch, you should be able to comfortably sit a drink on the table. Also you're getting a little "leggy" in the room. You couch has visible legs, the chairs, so make sure your coffee table has a different base. (Love the pictures hanging in the entry!)
December 21, 2012 at 3:38pm   
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
So to some up what Bond Girl said is No don't use that table. Something without legs in a color like red or orange. It sounds like an over sized ottoman would be great.
December 21, 2012 at 4:30pm     
Theresa Pondok
Thanks everyone! Thoughts on a square tufted ottoman instead? Colors?
December 21, 2012 at 4:33pm     
judianna20
Before you buy a new coffee table, would reposition your sofa? Have it face the fireplace; put the two chairs by the fireplace, and then try the trunk. It may t look not quite right as you have it because of the direction at which you see it.

December 21, 2012 at 4:42pm     
apple_pie_order
Avoid sharp edges if there are toddlers. A slipcovered ottoman or leather ottoman (alternatively, vinyl) can be easy to clean.
December 21, 2012 at 5:25pm     
janishill
I agree the furniture needs to be repositioned first. The trunk is to small for a coffee table, but should work perfectly as an end table.

Because the chair backs are tall and the sofa is low you need a long, low, coffee table. Nothing half way between the two heights. The length of this one might work a little better: http://www.claytongrayhome.com/item/Othello-Coffee-Table/2407/c52

Or: http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Dark-Cherry-Wood-Coffee-Table/4333377/product.html?cid=202290&kid=9553000357392&track=pspla&kw={keyword}&adtype=pla
December 21, 2012 at 6:07pm     
PRO
Tres McKinney Design
Hi Theresa, I see you are back with questions. The last time you were asking about an area rug. What was the outcome? I agree you might want to try placing the sofa to face the fireplace with the wing chairs flanking the fireplace but I think either arrangement can work. It might be more inviting as you enter the room to have the arrangement as it is rather than facing the back of the sofa. A sofa table and pair of lamps behind the sofa would be attractive in either arrangement. A large coffee table or ottoman would anchor the arrangement. A leather or ultra suede ottoman in a hexagonal or octagonal shape could be interesting as would a round with a big tray. The current chest centered on the fireplace is not functional as it is too far from the sofa to set a drink down on. If you choose a similar size rectangular table then it should be placed no more than 12"-18"from the front of the sofa. If you want the table centered on the fireplace ( which is not necessary)than it has to be wider than the table you are considering. You will also need a 24-30" round table between the two chairs and possibly small rectilinear table or low chest at the end of the fireplace.
As I recommended with your first round of questions I would paint the frontispiece of your fireplace floor to ceiling a sage/gray/green to stand up to the stone surround. I would also add a beefier dark stained wood mantel. It could wrap around the sides to the back wall. Then you would only have to paint the lower portion of the fireplace. The pale yellow walls look a bit weak with the heaviness of the stone on the fireplace. I would also consider painting all the walls a lighter sage green. Send us new pictures as you add the new pieces. It is a lovely room and just needs a few tweaks and tables to make it more comfortable and functional.
December 21, 2012 at 6:23pm     
PRO
Dytecture
Call me traditional, but I still prefer a comfortably sized solid round coffee table in situation such as yours.

December 21, 2012 at 6:39pm     
roomi
I always resent the space coffee tables take up and much prefer ottomans and nests of tables to use when you need to. Without the table you have a space for excercise or yoga or somersaults.
December 21, 2012 at 9:18pm     
Darzy
I like the idea of a tufted ottoman, with legs and some detail. It's very cozy and inviting looking and also gives a great place to put a pretty tray/accessories. I cannot see the colors in your wing chairs, but I'd pick a color from the chair that will also complement your sofa color.

December 21, 2012 at 9:53pm     
kennedytarheel
whatever you choose, it needs to be closer to the couch. right now it floats too far away from the couch and chairs to be used.
December 22, 2012 at 6:59am     
Diamondflame
Nothing wrong with industrial looking coffee tables. But you'd probably need to accessorize it with a table vignette to give it a visual weight more complementary to the sofa & wing chairs. Tufted ottoman gets my vote for being versatile and child-friendly. If you prefer the looks of a trunk, get a larger one or 2 of the current ones. Nobody said you can't have 2 identical coffee tables. That way you can modify the placement to suit the needs of anyone seated on the sofa or wing chair. Btw I do love the room's whimsical style with the balloons and photos on clothes pegs!
December 22, 2012 at 8:01am     
smasher626
I think the hutch is very beautiful, but too small for that space. I recommend a larger coffee table. Also, I suggest a table in between those two chairs and a buffett or longer table behind your couch to anchor both furniture pieces. A lot of commentors have noticed that your room is too neutral and needs a touch of color to add pizzaz. I would suggest replacing the pillows on those two chairs with more interesting color and texture. Also above the fireplace mantle I would add a piece of art work instead of the mirror. Also the cabinet/armoire in the back corner of the wall, I think would look better if it where diagonal to those two walls. Also since the fireplace wall extends further out from the wall it is on, it would be nice if it were painted a different color from the wall it's on so it became more of a focal point.
December 22, 2012 at 11:46am     
johnrlee
I would use oval with glass coffee table, 2 tier. The trunk does not do much for me.
john
December 22, 2012 at 12:24pm     
cypress
Hello Theresa, I think the trunk is too small to service both your sofa and chairs, and agree with others that the table in question is too industrial for your room. I think a metallic framed glass table, either square, round or rectangular would look lovely in your room. Why not place the trunk behind the sofa (if there is enough room).
December 22, 2012 at 1:38pm   
johnrlee
i think a oval coffee table 2 tier with glass would be a good fit for this design.
December 22, 2012 at 1:59pm   
brecarroll
Since all your other pieces are up on legs, you need something either to the floor or close to the floor so your furniture arrangement doesn't get too "leggy". I think something larger than you have, maybe square or round would be nice.
December 22, 2012 at 2:21pm   
danatarheel
if you have small mobile children, their heads will magically gravitate to corners and glass objects. so, i like the tufted ottoman idea. choose leather if you want to play up the darker elements of your room (in which case i would also recommend painting the room a much more darker shade). or choose a shade of fabric that pulls out a color in the patterned chairs for an added element of fun. bonus points if your ottoman also has storage capacity.
December 22, 2012 at 9:16pm     
lovelion
I would choose a larger square coffee table
December 22, 2012 at 10:49pm   
Natalie
Hi---I think a large square coffee table or square upholstered ottoman (if you have kids) would be ideal. I also think you should consider painting your ceiling a pale robin's egg blue... It would just add so much to your space. Hope this is helpful. Pretty room... :) [houzz=
]
December 22, 2012 at 10:59pm     
johnrlee
I thank a square table shrinks the room, an oval table would be best .
December 22, 2012 at 11:40pm   
lovelion
it seems that the space is large enough I think square or.oval.would work
December 23, 2012 at 1:03am   
PRO
Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
Without knowing the dimensions of the room, I couldn't give you a size for the coffee table, but I agree with johnrlee--an oval table would be great, no sharp edges. If you can't find one, then a rectangular one would be the second choice, but larger than the trunk that's there now. Square and round tables are better in a larger room.
December 23, 2012 at 4:28am     
PRO
JAN MOYER
A 24x48 table in front of the sofa would be fine, so would an oval roughly the same. If the wing chairs need some handy set down space, a small round chairside 18 inch diameter table between would be just fine, and you won't need to worry about filling the space for all to reach. Ps... would stongly recommend you do NOT face the sofa with its back to the entry. Nope on that one: )
December 23, 2012 at 4:53am     
PRO
Maison Pompeii Antiques and Interiors
Can 3 mismatched but cohesive tables work in this space? One on either end of the sofa and and one bewteen the two chairs. Then get a rug with a great center medaliiion. The upholstered ottoman is also a good idea but have it upholstered with an old worn oriental rug to add some color and texture. If the furniture is to stay as in the photo have the table/ottoman play with and nearer to the sofa. Dont just plant it half way inbetween.
December 23, 2012 at 5:54am   
PRO
JAN MOYER
No on three mismatched but cohesive tables. A coffee table within easy reach of sofa, and one other small/light chairside table between the wings allows for the compact size of the room, without attempting to fill the space in front of the hearth. Yet doesn't leave a big void either.....sofas look odd without something in front of them, but it has to be in proportion to sofa, and to the room, in size, scale, and heaviness, or lightness.
December 23, 2012 at 6:00am   
PRO
It was just a thought as I cant really get a feel of how much room there really is. Also was thinnking of some lamp light.
December 23, 2012 at 6:23am   
PRO
JAN MOYER
Ipmenache
I hear you! But I think the room is tight, and she might need some plugs in the hardwood... and then could do standing lamps either side of sofa. The usual problem when your seating floats! and the room is all doorways!
December 23, 2012 at 6:32am   
Theresa Pondok
Thanks so much for all the great comments!! I am trying to keep the room light/airy and thinking a touch of modern would help to avoid a "pottery barn" feel. The ottoman is most practical with a 1 and 2 yo- maybe something pale blue pulled from chair? But hard to make that look modern. Please see my ideabook for the looks i like and let me know if you have any more suggestions!
December 23, 2012 at 7:33am   
decoenthusiaste
Saw your ideabook, but first thought was this; light, airy, somewhat modern but with a touch of rustic in the wood plus a glass top. I too love the blue upholstered ottoman, so this one comes to mind for your room.
Contemporary Living Room
Ion Glass Round Coffee Table
Linley Fabric Storage Ottoman
December 23, 2012 at 7:42am   
PRO
JAN MOYER
Check this, three finishes, indestructible top, casual but not too, not too heavy, not too light., and a perfect size.... add a garden seat to coordinate with wing chair pattern between those. http://www.ethanallen.com/product?productId=2834861&categoryId=8105
December 23, 2012 at 7:53am   
carolynkendrick
I see round or sq? If you want to kick it up a bit use glass or plexiglass with a modern base ( hour glass shape). The traditional round, or sq with modern accent pieces on top. The rectangle with wood and angle iron seems to harsh.
December 23, 2012 at 8:34am   
Carolina Girl
Congratulations! By the pictures over the door and the balloons it looks like we have a new baby boy in the house. Do consider that in your decorating and go for rounded and soft edges. Next year at this time you will be glad you don't have to change it out.
December 23, 2012 at 9:32am     
deb jo
Something like this? Try One Kings Lane just for the many inspiration ideas and designer sales there.
https://www.onekingslane.com/product/18326/962372
December 23, 2012 at 12:22pm   
Darzy
I like Dytecture's suggestion the more I see it.
December 23, 2012 at 12:31pm   
pqtmouse
A bigger table .. with some glass.

I like JanisHills wood/glass table pictured above ..
December 23, 2012 at 2:47pm   
ghomuth
I like to use trunks, like the one you currently have in front of the sofa, at the end of the sofa. Better than an end table, less obstruction, great place for a stack of design books. Second choice would be to place it between the two chairs. Then place a larger table in front of the sofa for more impact
December 23, 2012 at 3:49pm   
pamsliwoski
I like the trunk in the room, but it looks too small to use as a coffee table. How about next to the sofa, with maybe a tall, narrow lamp on it? I also think large round coffee table would look nice...wood or upholstered/tufted in a lovely fabric
December 23, 2012 at 3:59pm   
PRO
I think that a round upholstered ottoman is the answer and do use the trunk as an end table by the sofa on the firplace wall side. Any shape table between the two wing chairs will work..
December 23, 2012 at 4:04pm     
mcbriec
I know the question was about the coffee table, which everybody seems to agree is definitely too small and would like much better as a side table for the couch. I very much agree with the commenter who posted a picture of a pale blue ceiling. Having a different-colored ceiling would make this room so much more interesting. Although I'm not usually a fan of diagonally-placed furniture, moving the cabinet (located to the right of the fireplace) and placing it on a diagonal in that space would make that area feel much more balanced to my eye. (Just now realized somebody else had the same idea about the cabinet!)
December 23, 2012 at 7:06pm     
noankwaters
Round or oval with glass and rich wood.
December 23, 2012 at 7:15pm   
PRO
Amy Canary
Move the couch and chairs as suggested - the room will look more balanced to have the couch facing the fireplace and chairs flanking it. The furniture will then be placed to frame the fireplace. I'd also use a large ottoman especially if this room is used daily and because of young children.
December 24, 2012 at 5:37am     
PRO
JAN MOYER
Moving the couch to a back to the door, will make a NOT lovely "wall in a doorway" A better switch is to simply reverse the chairs and the sofa, taking the bulk away from the entry to the room, and allowing the sofa to be viewed at it's best angle from the entry door. Merry!
December 24, 2012 at 5:48am     
PRO
Amy Canary
it was only a suggestion.
December 24, 2012 at 6:03am     
PRO
JAN MOYER
Amy Canary,
agree it's a tough room, but another picture from the end or fireplace side would be helpful too.... no clue what is on the wall to the right and the rest of the tall cabinet wall And as always is the case, the real/true size of the room is determined by traffic and doorways, and destinations that are adjacent rooms. Happy holidays
December 24, 2012 at 6:14am   
apennameandthata
Put a big persian rug on top of the sisal. You will get away with ANYTHING.

Now, that's what I'm talking about.
December 24, 2012 at 6:23am   
ginny1805
I think a square tufted ottoman would be perfect for the space. As for a color, let me suggest that you find out what is available, get swatches, and lay them over the trunk, step back, and see what speaks to you. Look at the colors at different times of day. You might be surprised what you find. I personally like the touches of blue in the picture and think you might incorporate that somehow, either in a floral arrangement or pillow or two.
December 24, 2012 at 12:10pm   
PRO
garden state tile
i realy liked the rustic feel of the one suggested in your photos. i think it goes perfectly in the space. i do like the idea of doing a tufted ottoman as well, something that sits directly on the floor (no legs) but big and round or oval! if you went for a colored table, i could see something cream/white or even silvery. i do agree also with putting the sofa facing fireplace and chairs flanking it. i like the trunk and could see it being used elsewhere in the room! whatever it is, i dont think it should have a modern/sleek look. definitely a classic feeling or rustic contemporary. good luck!
December 26, 2012 at 7:52am   
lrice39
With small children an upholstered ottoman (tufted) would be great...avoids the sharp edges of a coffee table and serves as extra seating or a comfy footrest. A shallow basket/tray perched on it helps corral remotes, etc. Love the trunk, perhaps it could be used as an end table for the couch or placed between the two chairs. I use an antique blanket chest as a coffe table in my family room but it is larger. Great for storage of linens, games, etc.. Lovely room!
December 26, 2012 at 8:24am     
Theresa Pondok
thanks so much everyone. if we went with an ottoman are we thinking something like this without legs? will it look too bulky? maybe a pale blue pulled from the chair?
December 27, 2012 at 6:33am   
PRO
How big is it? I'm not loving anything square or round in that space--an oval or rectangle seems to fit better.
December 27, 2012 at 6:42am   
Theresa Pondok
47" diameter. do you think ottoman or better just a regular coffee table. we have 2 small kids
December 27, 2012 at 6:45am   
Theresa Pondok
also worry that a regular coffee table may look to "harsh" with the stone and seagrass rug (although ideally would love to get rid of both of those-not in the budget unfortunately)
December 27, 2012 at 6:48am   
Theresa Pondok
or something like this?
December 27, 2012 at 7:18am     
cohoek
Hi, i'm all for mixing styles and surrounding myself with furniture I like, accept that this table is too small, maybe you could switch the sofa with the chairs and put this table next to the sofa? if you then put the chest between the 2 chairs. these styles fit together, and so do the sofa and new table.You might not need anything else except something next to the other side of the sofa. Kids and ottomans do not do wel together, kids spill, they do love to climb them though. Kids like to play in the center of attentie so I would have no table at all in the middel. Also people do not like sitting with their backs to windows, I'm told. I'd just try moving stuff around, see where it ens up.Really cheap too....
December 27, 2012 at 8:01am   
Theresa Pondok
how about this coffee table instead? any thoughts if we reupholstered in a pretty blue fabric?
December 27, 2012 at 10:46am     
PRO
JAN MOYER
theresapodok
Why do you want more upholstery with kids? I would stick to a solid more wipeable surface. And tufting is a crumb and dust catcher in the best case scenario : ) In any case, the very hard and very linear shape feels a bit "off" to me with the wing chairs, and their more traditional curviness. A good upholsterer can MAKE you a round ottoman on hidden casters you can roll out of the way for kids. With a smoooth but cushioned top. You only need a few yards of fabric, I would make that a leather look alike or an indoor outdoor fabric if soft is what you are after.
December 27, 2012 at 10:59am   
Theresa Pondok
hi jan- mostly concerned with the kids slamming their heads into the table. my daughter already had stiches when she was one due to that scenario. i like that this table has a bit of a modern spin- want to avoid everything being too traditional. also the stone fireplace (which im not a fan of) is very harsh and i thought the upholstery may add some softness to the room but without being too solid. im not a decorator though so i love hearing feedback. my one concern is that the room is big and may do better with a square rather than rectangle
December 27, 2012 at 11:15am     
noankwaters
Hi, Theresa! I love your idea of a square upholstered ottoman and would give it some type of legs (squashed ones?)! A rectangle would work well, too. Based on the pics, I agree with the suggestions to have the couch face the fireplace with the wing chairs flanking it. Since getting rid of the stones isn't a current option, would painting them to blend into the rest of the fireplace help? That might give you a bit more freedom to use non-traditional pieces. The current trunk will make a great side table. I now understand why glass would be a problem.
December 27, 2012 at 1:50pm   
PRO
That round ottoman is 47" in diameter? That's huge! It will take over the room! I like the rectangular one you posted. Just make sure that the size fits--if you're not sure, then cut out some paper in the size of the table you're considering. It's a good way to visualize the size--the last thing you want to do is order something and once it's in the room you realize it's all out of proportion to the rest of the furniture in the room.
December 27, 2012 at 4:50pm   
PRO
LM Designers
When I had children I removed the coffee table for safety issues. Just one good bump is all it takes and they will bump it eventually. Go with a padded ottoman or something like it for the kids please. No sharp corners or glass.
December 27, 2012 at 5:36pm   
jjandhk
hi Theresa, I like your idea of something a little modern and also upholstered. Tufting often looks more traditional; and a square one will really overpower your room. Have you thought about leather? How about a large oval shape? Here's a couple ideas, they have a bit of modern feel:
December 27, 2012 at 5:58pm     
Natalie
I like the ottoman you posted-for a room that size, square is the way to go. Paint the ceiling. :) Good Luck!
December 28, 2012 at 5:32am   
Theresa Pondok
Ok everyine here is an ugly homegoods ottoman just to check size and style (round vs circular). It is 36". Thoughts?
December 29, 2012 at 1:47pm   
Theresa Pondok
Ok everyone here is any ugly home goods ottoman just to check size and style (round vs square). It is 36". Any thoughts?
December 29, 2012 at 1:47pm   
Theresa Pondok
Ok everyone here is an ugly home goods ottoman just to test size and style (round vs square). It is 36". Thoughts?
December 29, 2012 at 1:51pm   
PRO
JAN MOYER
Pull it closer to the sofa, don't try to center it, and put the trunk, or a small table between the wing chairs. And when you do all that, try, just try reversing the sofa and the two chairs :) It will take the bulky away from the entry door. Snap a picture to humor me
December 29, 2012 at 4:22pm   
Theresa Pondok
Thanks Jan. we will definitely change couch and chairs- only like this because our christmas tree in the corner! What do you think of ottoman size? Do you like the circle?
December 29, 2012 at 5:22pm   
PRO
JAN MOYER
Theresa,

I don't think you want it any bigger at this point with kids. When the furniture floats, and is also centered on a fireplace, your eye fights to center the coffee table. But to do that means a bit larger table, and NOT overly heavy, preferably open underneath.So! I don't think this isn't the last coffee table you will ever have , your kids are small, so Yes! do the upholstered 36" ( 39 is okay too) round and leave it about 15 inches from the front of the sofa so it's useful for the folks sitting there..... Then add a small drinks table between the wing chairs or turn the trunk in the other direction and put it between those chairs. Don't make yourself crazy. There are phases in life, and in decorating. When your kids are small you go with that phase until you don't have to worry about spills, bumps on the head, stains, and toys on the floor. Frankly, your bigger problem is lamp light in the room!
December 29, 2012 at 5:37pm     
Darzy
I personally think an oval or rectangle would look better than the round.

December 29, 2012 at 5:45pm   
PRO
Agreed, Darzy, I've said that for days now!!

Theresa, see how the sofa had to be moved back and now blocks the entrance to the far room? YOU CAN'T USE A SQUARE OR ROUND, IT'S TOO BIG...GET THE OVAL OR RECTANGLE! Whew, sorry about the outburst....
December 29, 2012 at 5:50pm     
PRO
JAN MOYER
Darzy,
Normally I'd definitely agree with you, but she has little kids, wants upholstered for softness I think?? and it feels like a bit less of a visual fight to center the darn thing on that fireplace with the round, which at that 36 0r 39 size leaves her some room for the kids to romp around with toys. In a perfect world... its probably a glass or stone top 42 inch square!!! : ) and center! A few pictures of the rest of the room would help too!
December 29, 2012 at 5:56pm   
Darzy
Lol Diana Beir..and...with legs. Nothing too bulky.
December 29, 2012 at 5:57pm     
PRO
The oval upholstered ottomans posted by jeanjjk are very nice and would work well in the room and would also keep the kids safe.
December 29, 2012 at 6:14pm     
Darzy
Theresa..how does the round one look/feel to you in the space? Do you like it?
December 29, 2012 at 7:27pm   
Natalie
Hi---nope don't like the round. I'm adamant about the square ottoman. Rolled arms on the sofa and the chairs are curved---square or rectanglular shape (alternate) needed for balance. Hope this is helpful.
December 29, 2012 at 8:38pm   
Theresa Pondok
Dont love the round either. Gonna pick up a cheap square today just to see how that looks. I think ideally it needs to be a large square table. I would love to find a square table with a cushioned top like the one i posted above. But no luck.
December 30, 2012 at 6:39am   
PRO
JAN MOYER
see the one on the link below http://www.hickorywhite.com/catalog_detail.php?id=1109&model=259
/Users/Apple_Owner/Desktop/catalog_image_display.php.jpeg
You would choose your own fabric of course
December 30, 2012 at 6:51am   
Theresa Pondok
I like that Jan. looks like it is probably pricey though. At this point willing to spend a bit. I really think i need large clean simple lines. Not sure if you saw my ideabooks but the decorator that came in suggested that. Are you a decorator? Unfortunately mine had a family emergency and couldnt really provide much help. I will post more pics of the room to see. Entry areas and built ins everywhere making set up difficult.
December 30, 2012 at 7:15am   
PRO
JAN MOYER
theresa pondok,
Yes, I am a decorator and a practical one at that. I do think there comes a point when a selection can become a bit of BRAIN surgery by over thinking. The larger that table becomes, the less heavy/solid you want it. So if you want a large 42 inch or 45 inch square, and a surface that kids won't ruin, and a softer protective edge, and a clean modern line, and within whatever your budget it is.... you must decide what is most important to you. Or have a local carpenter make you a frame in clean lines, in a simple hardwood such as ash, paint it black, or ivory and upholster the top as you wish, at the local upholsterer, and choose your details, knowing that tufting attracts dust, crumbs. You'll have the leg you want, the size you want, the top you want, and the fabric you want.
December 30, 2012 at 7:24am   
Theresa Pondok
Jan- any thoughts on this table. Similar to the one you posted before. Restoration hardware. Too industrial?
December 30, 2012 at 6:09pm   
PRO
JAN MOYER
theresapondok,
I think it just feels a bit too harsh/rustic and rigid for the softness of the wing chairs, which are gently curved, and feel even SOFTER in what appears a gentle leafy pattern? : ) And those, along with the sofa are all pretty traditional in feel as well. I do get where you're trying to go... a bit more of a modern accent to those pieces but I don't think you want to lose the pretty factor entirelyl either. So yes, perhaps just a bit too industrial for the existing pieces in the room. I looked through the rest of RH... and didn't see a suitable one. What about?
http://woodbridgefurniture.com/cocktailtables/view/161

http://woodbridgefurniture.com/cocktailtables/view/647

. And last.....and maybe the best one of the bunch all considered
http://www.ethanallen.com/product?productId=5971715&categoryId=8001n It's clean, it's not too rustic, not too formal, it's airy, its a nice size, and the price is nice....
December 30, 2012 at 7:02pm   
hollymahler
Put the trunk between the chairs and get a bigger coffee table to fill the space between the love seat and chairs better. Cute room!
January 28, 2013 at 5:40pm   
Theresa Pondok
Hello again! What do you all think of this look? Remembering the initial question was regarding the need for a coffee table
April 26, 2013 at 6:13am   
decoenthusiaste
You have two posts going. Please delete one and continue on the original thread - you have several response on the other thread.
April 26, 2013 at 6:42am   
roomi
My opinion is it is too angular not a good blend with the chairs and the wrong colur too. I like the cow skin. Why not go for a collection of side tables and save the space for some wonderful floor cushions in front of that fabulous fireplace.
April 26, 2013 at 10:21pm   
Beth Bourque
The trunk is awesome, but it's in the wrong spot. It should not be centered in the area. It needs to be closer to the sofa. A small table is needed between the two chairs. Even one of those cheap round tables covered with a cloth would do.
April 26, 2013 at 10:36pm   
janiesuejaniesue
I have been looking at ottomans and coffee tables and there are literally thousands on this web site...so far I think something like this would look terrific
April 26, 2013 at 11:35pm   
janiesuejaniesue
I also think the trunk would look great at the end of the sofa and also angle your armoire as shown in this pic
April 26, 2013 at 11:41pm   
janiesuejaniesue
These 2 ottomans in this picture would add seating and storage space
April 26, 2013 at 11:49pm   
abi1234
I really like the coffee table in there now it's a perfect size for the room so it doesn't look too crowded and it fits in with the theme of your welcoming room perfectly!
April 26, 2013 at 11:55pm