Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help on what color to paint our kitchen
aristalemos
December 21, 2012 in Design Dilemma
We just bought our first house and the kitchen has a red floor. The previous owner has it painted a very loud yellow, which doesn't work for me. What color would go best with the red floor
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cywish
If you want to go with a vintage vibe I think a mint green would be very fresh with the red floor. Otherwise a midtone grey could be very clean and complimentary.
December 21, 2012 at 7:52PM   
fairviewbonnie
I think I would have to go with a white. Then over your window above the sink, put a roman shade with a touch of the red in a print. Or you could do a bambo shade. I would minimize what you put on the counters. Keep it simple and sleek! Good luck.
December 21, 2012 at 7:58PM     
jreimel
I would go with a light gray. It's very clean-looking and it would modernize the space a little :) Good luck!
December 21, 2012 at 8:39PM     
janishill
I have to agree with fairviewbonnie...unless you want something equally as bright as the yellow. Then you could go with a teal.
December 21, 2012 at 8:45PM     
carbary
I like benjamin Moore elemental for this room. It would coordinate with the floor and neutralize add sim art with touches of red
December 23, 2012 at 8:52AM     
carbary
Color pallet
December 23, 2012 at 8:53AM   
Dar Eckert
Love the red floor very daring. I guess I would paint kitchen walls pale gray as well as 3 of the walls in the dining area. Leave the large wall yellow, maybe tone it down a little or pick another primary color for a bold wallpaper. Large geometric black and white design or white and blue. Here are a couple of photos with wallpaper like what I had in mind.

Mallin Cres - Den
beach bungalow 8 houzz tour
December 23, 2012 at 9:54AM   
PRO
Cancork Floor Inc.
White is going to be your "best bet" here. Until you choose to loose the red floor, you can look to white on the walls and wall art that pulls the red theme through the space. I love the idea of roman blinds with red accents. Ikea has some amazing B/W prints with splashes of red (scene of Amsterdam with red bicycle). The floor is bold. The wall art can be bold to give some balance. Do do that, you may want to stay "white" on the walls so that the floor and wall art set the stage.
December 23, 2012 at 10:05AM   
danatarheel
for a vintage look...

a. paint walls white and use robin's egg blue as your accent color: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-EtBmCMWpo5o/TpQf-f3vtOI/AAAAAAAAKu0/8p0RM5pSGDA/s1600/housetour-6.jpg

b. paint walls a super pale blue: http://api.ning.com/files/pC48a-wYcH26OR3HjEg-mAyKJ0g6dz2wp5IDPSJWhsS10NYojGJ*Qag9Pm4Ad7SOsqMpL6qgFJJmWC232ren1yfGKi0mk91s/081811RedFloor.jpg

for a classic look...
paint the walls white and use a black and white printed fabric as your accent.
December 23, 2012 at 10:13AM   
Margaret Phillips
I was looking at modern kitchens with the color RED as its main accent color. White walls would complement your red and give the kitchen a really sharp look.
December 24, 2012 at 11:42AM   
decoenthusiaste
I once painted an outside laundry room a green called olive branch and the floor very dark red.
December 24, 2012 at 4:22PM   
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
It would look great in an apple green. You get to keep the brightness of the yellow but it is toned down a bit.
December 24, 2012 at 4:25PM