Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need suggestions and help
rahulmali
December 22, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I need help with my living room. i have very limited space and wanted to know if the current arrangement can be made more visually appealing. Please have a look at the picture and your suggestions and comments will be much appreciated. Thanks for your help.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
apennameandthata
The simplest thing to do would be to get rid of the small stuff you have on your wall and replace it with something big. You might try a big mirror with a black frame. You need more stuff up high, so consider putting something on top of the high shelves.

I really like your muted colour scheme and the pop provided to the muted scheme by the comode with the green and red. The green picks a little out of the couches. The problem, from a colour point of view, is the yellow-tan cabinet and coffee table.

Having three cabinets on one wall is brobs too cluttered. You MIGHT remove the center cabinet, replace it with the comode to cover the switches, then put something big to balance the cabinet on the left, or, better yet, get rid of it too.

You could put down a rug with matching colours.
1 Like   December 22, 2012 at 1:51AM
PRO
Frank Webb's Bath and Lighting Center
I agree, a bigger cabinet will cover up the wires and the coffee table doesn't match, it looks like there is a long row of switches on the wall that may be an issue with hanging a large print, but maybe 2 medium sized ones hanging over each other will solve that problem
0 Likes   December 22, 2012 at 7:01AM
PRO
Judith Taylor Designs
The first thing I notice is you have three lovely stograge pieces none of which work together. I would definitely suggest you invest in one piece and style that works for your storage needs. Then, edit out the tiny artwork and styling objects - the scale isn't suitable. They can work well if you group them together but they are too inconsequential with the scale of your upholstered furniture.

One sizable unite for storage, nicely styled will make a better presentation for that wall. Then some artwork might be added in but you need to consider the scale of the larger pieces and let those give you cues about scale.
1 Like   Thanked by rahulmali    December 22, 2012 at 7:12AM
Jayme H.
Lots of furniture in the space. I would remove some items if able. Coffee table takes up a lot of area. Removing things off the t.v. wall would change balance on the wall, With the bookshelf, the other side of tv also needs height. If it's removed, it would look like a gap. Do u want to keep all the furniture or replace some/change it?
0 Likes   December 22, 2012 at 7:15AM
Diamondflame
You are correct to pinpoint the lack of visual appeal. The cluttered look with clashing styles and a lack of focal point are difficult on the eye - it does not know where to look: the TV, or the wall art, or the cabinet displays?

You need something to pull them all together. A uniform color or similar shape helps. For instance your wall displays could be a collection of framed mirrors or photos in both rectangular and round shapes to tie your TV and cabinet display items together. Painting your cabinetry in one color would also help bring the different styles together.

I'm not a fan of bulky sofa sets - they are visually heavy and in a small room such as this they throw the scales out of proportion.
0 Likes   December 22, 2012 at 7:41AM
PRO
Anish Motwani Associates
hello

the living looks decent - remove the current sofa or refurbish them and make it a L-shape sofa (trust me its more relaxing)... on the other side u can have nice single sofa or recliner or some good relaxing chair

Have a nice colorful rug below the centre table

Make the wires arrangement proper below the LCD

The backdrop of the sofa can be nice colorful wallpaper or nice paintings.

check images in my ideabooks

regards
0 Likes   December 22, 2012 at 8:20AM
Dar Eckert
A wall of bookcases would be nice in white. It would give a lot of storage and display but not take up too much room. Here's three examples
.Vinci Hamp Architects Chicago
MPD Residence
Lompier Interior Group
0 Likes   December 22, 2012 at 8:23AM
rahulmali
Thank you for your suggestions and help everybody! The conclusion is de-clutter and reduce the furniture and also reduce items on the wall. Will implement all suggestions and the new look picture soon...thanks again!!
0 Likes   December 23, 2012 at 7:17AM