Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Separator for walk in closet and bathroom
jmudely
December 22, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Hi there, I bought a unit in a new development. I have mad adjustments to the unit specifications to include a walk in closet, as I love having cupboard space and a place to change clothing.
However, I am concerned with the way we are separating the walk in closet from the bathroom using "mirror doors", as with the dampness this will make the was swell, an also the thicker walls are a waste of valuable space.
Any ideas for alternatives?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
orangecamera
I'm thinking about how to answer your question, but something about the floor plan is bothering me, so although you didn't ask this, I'll answer anyway. Ignore if you want. :)

The only real storage in the unit is in the walk-through closet. And since you need to keep the floor clear to walk through it all the time, you really lose that space. Where will you keep things like a vacuum cleaner?

Also, there's no linen closet, or even a coat closet.

If you reconfigure the storage, your original question might become moot.

One thought is to rework the entrance to the bedroom. That little space is wasted anyway, so you could slide the door down, and take some space from the bedroom closet. Open it from the hallway and you have a linen closet. Put the vacuum cleaner in there, with shelves above.
3 Likes   December 22, 2012 at 4:13AM
PRO
Joseph I. Mycyk Architects, Inc.
You are pretty much stuck with what you have. To combat the moisture, you need an exhaust fan in the bathroom. You also have a window which, if operable, will also help in taking out moisture.

This looks like a small unit trying to pack in a lot. But I agree, there is minimal additional storage space.
1 Like   December 22, 2012 at 5:57AM
jmudely
Hi there. This is another picture of the plan. There is storage outside the unit for the brooms and cleaning. As for a vacuume, I may have to convert that study table by bathroom 2 into a storage space as well.
Please could you explain further how you see the alternative opening to bedroom looking?

I wouldn't like to have a sliding door to the bedroom.
0 Likes   December 22, 2012 at 6:03AM
jmudely
It's a 90 sqr unit. Top floor.
0 Likes   December 22, 2012 at 6:13AM
PRO
Dytecture
Most pocket doors fit withing the wall cavity and don't require extra thickness.

A better layout would be to have either a walk-thru closet or walk-thru bathroom in order to have a U-shaped closet area.
2 Likes   December 22, 2012 at 6:35AM
jmudely
The unit is Top floor unit.
I bought off plan.
The toilet and shower have to stay in the current spots due to the piping flowing down through the other units.
I like your idea of a walk through closet or walk through bathroom.
How would a u shape closet fit here with the toilet and shower being in the current positions.
0 Likes   December 22, 2012 at 6:53AM
jmudely
The exhaust fan is a definite ! Thanks Joseph
0 Likes   December 22, 2012 at 6:54AM
jmudely
This is the look I'm thinking for the walk in closet
2 Likes   December 22, 2012 at 10:59PM
orangecamera
Okay, I've been mulling this over, and this is what I've come up with:
2 Likes   December 23, 2012 at 7:03PM
jmudely
Love it!!! Love it!!!

Thank you so much. Its amazing. Now I just need to figure out how the developer is going to manage to move the toilet across the room, as the piping runs down from the original corner.

Please could you email me the high resultion (bigger image) of the drawing. Thanks
jmudely@gmail.com
0 Likes   December 24, 2012 at 1:21AM
orangecamera
I'm glad you like it. I've reworked it a bit so your bathroom fixtures are back in the original places. It's really almost what you started with. Changes are really carving out the linen closet, and adding a corner vanity in the dressing area. Of course that means less hanging space, it really depends on what you personally need.

Whatever way you go, you can maximize your closets with 2-tier hanging areas for shorter garments. Also since you have limited storage in the apartment, you can tuck a lateral filing cabinet under short garments. The top of the filing cabinet is a convenient place to store large flat items: large platters, x-ray films
0 Likes   December 24, 2012 at 9:05AM
bnlgirl
Is it all possible to swap the vanity and toilet locations? I would find it frustrating to stand at a sink and look out a window instead of into a mirror...
1 Like   December 24, 2012 at 10:24AM
jmudely
I agree with bnl girl!!!! whats the alternative
0 Likes   December 24, 2012 at 2:54PM
jmudely
Hey orangecamera, please could you email me those diagrams on my email address. love them
0 Likes   December 24, 2012 at 2:57PM
orangecamera
jmudely, you have mail :)
0 Likes   December 24, 2012 at 3:06PM
jmudely
let me check
0 Likes   December 25, 2012 at 12:10AM
jmudely
Have a look at this. this still doesnt solve the mirror door problem, as i dont want the steam from the shower to impact the clothes.
0 Likes   December 25, 2012 at 12:11AM
jmudely
ok, as for the 2nd bathroom idea. I think we need to understand what the benefits of having a tub are.
Have a look at the option to take out the bathtub.
0 Likes   December 25, 2012 at 1:18AM
orangecamera
jmudely, I misunderstood. I thought you were trying to figure out how to not need a door in that space.

Can you show the original layout before you started making changes?

A lot depends on how you live. You will need a 2nd shower or a tub if you have someone stay overnight, unless you don't mind them using the one in your bedroom. How will that 2nd bedroom be used?
0 Likes   December 25, 2012 at 3:50AM
PRO
Maison Pompeii Antiques and Interiors
You are in a pickle! If the toilet can be shifted next to the sink then put a door where the toilet was and close off the closet from the bathroom. This will give you extra storage in the closet and fix the mositure problem. You might have a pocket door to enter the closet and bathroom each. Unless you must meet ADA standards bathroom and closet doors do not need to be very wide. Speak to your builder about this. In regadrs to the sink under the window I have seen where a very pretty mirror is hung in front of the window and it allows light in around it. Use a pendant light over the sink to minimize shadows or sconces on either side of the winodw if there is room.
0 Likes   December 25, 2012 at 4:53AM
jmudely
Thanks Orangecamera.
I would like to keep the bedroom 1 door in its original space. I prefer it out of the way and in the cavity of that space before you enter the room.

Bathroom 2:
I would like to have it as a guest full bath and toilet. I dont see the need for a tub, and this space can be better used, as in South Africa, people tend to use the tub as a washing space, to hand wash clothes. I would however use the washing machine, and not have much use for this. Not one to soak in the tub either.

Here is the original plan.
0 Likes   December 26, 2012 at 1:29AM
jmudely
see below
0 Likes   December 26, 2012 at 1:30AM
jmudely
Hi Ipmenache:
I really likt this comment:
"In regadrs to the sink under the window I have seen where a very pretty mirror is hung in front of the window and it allows light in around it. Use a pendant light over the sink to minimize shadows or sconces on either side of the winodw if there is room."

This is exactly what i was thinking, love the natural light, but also thinking of frosting the glass, as my window opens out into the lounge of the other unit, so i need to ensure privacy.
But the mirror in front of the window and pendant light is exaclty what i was thinking.

Thanks.

As for the suggestion on the walk in closet, im finding it difficult to picture that.
1 Like   December 26, 2012 at 1:34AM
jmudely
orangecamera - you got mail!
0 Likes   December 26, 2012 at 1:51AM
jacques976
i see that you are set on the design that you have i have one comment on the fan for the bath area you can get a moisture control fan from a number of companies that come on when the moisture is high.the perfect plan is one unit in the closet and bath vented to outside.
0 Likes   December 26, 2012 at 2:52AM
Dar Eckert
I like your layout. The one thing that I would change is use one full size pocket door instead of small ones one either side of the door opening. It would be difficult to close the doors carrying anything.
0 Likes   December 26, 2012 at 6:27AM
jmudely
Hi Jacques. Thanks for that, think that may be the solution. The extractor exhaust fan in the closet could catch any extra moisture coming through, and the one in the bathroom can extract most of the moisture.

Also thinking about doing cupboard doors over the bathroom entrace, that way the cupboard door will be an entrance to an en suite. whats your thoughts?
0 Likes   December 26, 2012 at 10:02AM
jmudely
Hi Dar Eckert. Totally agree with you. think the architect just drew the two doors as he thought it might work. Definitely we need to make it a single door.
The question if, what kind of pocket door should I use?

Should the pocket door be wooden, with mirror finished on either side?
Or glass that is frosted?

Any ideas?
0 Likes   December 26, 2012 at 10:04AM
orangecamera
jmudely, I've looked at the floor plan you emailed to me, and now I'm even more confused. Are the 2 units mirror images? If they are, then your bathroom cannot be where you've moved it to. It will have to stay in the original spot due to pipes in the units below you. Therefore, a completely different solution about your closet will need to be figured out. Please let me (and everyone) know what the constraints are regarding the plumbing, and then we can help you best. If we are to start from the original, please post it here so everyone can see. Thanks.
0 Likes   December 26, 2012 at 10:14AM
jmudely
This is the floor layout. There are two units on the top floor.
My unit is the one on the LHS.
0 Likes   December 26, 2012 at 10:19AM
jmudely
The original layout is the one on the RHS.
Problem is the bedroom is too small for me, ie. 3metres by 3.5metres for bedroom 1.

The total square meterage of the unit is 90squares, with no balcony, and storage on the outside next to geyser unit.

I changed the layout of the unit, by moving the bathroom out to the study area. (see unit on RHS).
The only piping that architect is concerned about is the toilet.
The toilet needs to pivot on the current point.
The shower piping they willing to move.

Hope that provides more clarity.
0 Likes   December 26, 2012 at 10:23AM
orangecamera
Okay, I think I've got something here. Reworked the bedrooms, so what was the 2nd bedroom is now the Master. I don't like that the bedroom door opens to the main living area, can't quite figure out how to tweak that yet.

You get a much larger bedroom for yourself.

The hall bathroom is smaller. I'd like to see a pocket door there. If you make it a wet room, you can move the vanity if you want, and also gain a shower.

In the bedrooms, the hanging clothes would be behind nice doors, either swinging or sliding.

Thoughts?
0 Likes   December 26, 2012 at 12:02PM
jmudely
Ok, brilliant ideas.
Concerns are.
The second bedroom has no window, no natural light.
Furthermore, there is no second shower, and I need one.
Also walk in closet lost completely.
0 Likes   December 27, 2012 at 6:09AM
jmudely
Ok, have a look at this.
Extended the kitchen by moving only the single brick wall (as this is not a support wall).
Then made extra counters in front of kitchen window.
Shower will have enough ventilation with the window in it.
I also added a cupboard in the bathroom, next to shower.
And a linen cupboard outside bedroom 2.
Have a look and tell me what you think.
The toilet has been moved forward.
Instead of mirror doors we do frosted glass, with only a solid wall behind shower.
0 Likes   December 27, 2012 at 7:39AM
jmudely
Any ideas or comments?
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 1:04PM
PRO
Your second bathroom has nowhere to stand between the sink and toilet. You're trying to do to much in too tight of a space. It'll feel like the bathroom on an airplane.

As a matter of fact, now you've created two tight bathrooms. How marketable is this dwelling down the line with no tub, no room in the bathrooms for anyone to stand or turnaround in who is not a runway model.
2 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 1:23PM
jagood
Going back to the original plan that you posted, and your question regarding doors:

I would NOT create two separate areas - but instead, treat the closet and bath as an integrated room, keeping only enough wall to build the shower properly. I would use the same flooring, extending into the closet space. Then use sliding ventilated closet doors in front of the area where you will be hanging your clothing. There are some very nice looking doors like this on the market. You can also store your extra towels and linens behind these doors.

By treating it as one space, you will have a much more cheerful space with a window that could feel very luxurious rather then dealing with chopped up small spaces. Your could use rugs and accessories to really make the space nice. If you use the ventilator fan when you shower I don't think you will have any more problem with moisture in your clothing then you would have with the divided space, and in fact, keeping it as one room may make the fan more efficient at keeping clothing space moisture free then if the two spaces were separated. Be sure the fan's specs support the space you need ventilated.

If you are in a very humid climate, use some of those hanging dehumdifier bags in your closet that people put in the closets of their large cabin cruiser boats. Marine supply stores will have them. If they start accumulating moisture in them then you know you need to run your ventilator fan longer.
1 Like   January 1, 2013 at 2:32PM
jmudely
Love it. Brilliant ideas . I agree on the bathroom being too small. U right, the bathtub does make it more marketable.

I will leave it as originally planned, only adjustment is to make it one space as jargon mentioned.

Thanks
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 2:51PM
jagood
just curious - what is a "geyser" unit?
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 3:19PM
jagood
Depending on your budget, the doors that you choose for your closet wall could have a very dramatic impact on your bathroom design. I have seen translucent doors with beautiful designs, that sort of glow at night when a low wattage light is left on in the closet. Louvered doors can give you a tropical feel. Large flat panel doors can be covered with various types of wall papers. Mirror doors will make a very bold impact - especially combined with crystal light fixtures and black and silver deco. Have fun!
1 Like   January 1, 2013 at 4:06PM
jmudely
See the additions here. Let me know what you think?
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 6:19AM
jmudely
@jagood - geyser is outside unit
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 6:20AM
PRO
It works.
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 7:31AM
jmudely
Thanks Joseph.
Much appreciated.

Looks like this is the final design I will submit to developer.
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 10:15AM