Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with a living room design
mkolby
December 22, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Hi everybody, need your help and open for all kind of ideas. Me and my husband are moving into a new apartment and desparately looking for ideas to furnish and decorate our living room. It's pretty big as you can see on the pictures (40 sqm) and consists of 7 long and big windows. We don't have much furniture yet, kinda starting from a scratch and mostly buy 2nd hand because of the tight budget. And still we want to achieve a well designed space that will feel homey. So far we bought couple of things but I think they don't work out together. I don't mind to get rid of some of them and to get new instead, all I want is that things look nice and be functional. We want the room to be a place for gathering, eating and working and I would describe our style as eclectic with more modern and mid century accent. Please share you ideas.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mpoulsom
Love the sofa! Very fun! You need a different coffee table for sure. You may can use that one somewhere else in the home. A BIG area rug would be at the top of my list. Curtain panels from ceiling to floor next. Do you have a tv? And do you want to add more bright colors, or are you satisfied with going with neutrals (grays or tans) for other pieces of furniture. If it were me, I would like for the sofa to be your bright splash...but...depends on what you are attracted to. I would then start looking for some different cushy chairs. I'll see if I can find some pics for you!
3 Likes   December 22, 2012 at 4:43AM
beddings
Good Sofa and flooring. You can add bold and bright furniture, long curtains that puddle till the floor and some floor rugs.
0 Likes   December 22, 2012 at 5:11AM
mpoulsom
Here are a few examples of color combinations that will work with the sofa....
see if any of these make you happy and then I'm sure other houzzers will chime in...
2 Likes   December 22, 2012 at 5:12AM
mkolby
Thanks for your answer. I know that the coffee table doesn't fit :-/ We need something different, maybe white or light wood don't know yet. In general I'd like to see lots of white with color splashes here and there. Now we are waiting for white chairs for the dining table and thinking of getting a colorful rug with a white base (or black and white) and mid century credenza. And yes we have a white tv and this table against the wall is a temporary solution. Maybe we'll use it as a coffee table, don't know. And I also don't know how to fill this wall against the sofa. OMG, my head is going to explode - too much things in once.
0 Likes   December 22, 2012 at 5:21AM
Lee Poehler
1st things 1st, "apartment"; so are you renting? The reason I ask is you may need to get permission to paint.
0 Likes   December 22, 2012 at 5:26AM
mkolby
Yes we are renting, but it's not a problem to paint. Share your ideas please.
0 Likes   December 22, 2012 at 5:30AM
Lee Poehler
Think light greys or creamy tans. Only cuz your couch so bold. I think pops of green with pillows and the like and white and black accents. Here some pics, If I can find the one in my mind I'll post it, later
3 Likes   December 22, 2012 at 6:09AM
PRO
Design Mode
For better traffic flow, I would turn the sofa 90 or 180 degrees. Then it cries out for a large piece of art to go above it. The turquoise chair will be a part of the arrangement then. Sounds like you are filling in the rest of the elements and still in a mid century theme hunt.
The room needs lighting - maybe the same metal as the sofa legs, vintage finds for table lamps, and a large reproduction arc floor lamp.
To me, mid century mod has more earth-tones, wood, organic shapes, and texture. I think you are heading in a 'Pop Art' direction.
Try cb2.com
I think this would fit: pop art by Andy Warhol, "Zebra."
3 Likes   December 22, 2012 at 6:41AM
Lee Poehler
more color sceme ideas last one is me attempting to put together room for you. I think that nook would made for a great computer space, bench to sit out and enjoy view, or art/draft table. I also think refectlive surfaces like mirrors and chormes should be used for art and/or tables
2 Likes   December 22, 2012 at 8:55AM
mpoulsom
Have you thought about putting the long white rectangular table by the window (now) and moving it to wall in front of the sofa, tv on top of that, or hanging right above on the wall?
I would look for a circular or square coffee table and not a rectangular one I don't think. The table that's against the wall right now, looks to tall to be a coffee table anyway, unless you wanted to replace the legs on it.
You do need some BIG pieces of art on the wall in front of couch....with some of your fuscia color in it. It doesn't have to be a lot of that color, but at least a smidgen I would think. If not in the art, maybe just go black and white for your art, and find a rug with the fuscia in it. You can go all neutrals for everything else and add colorful throw pillows and accents here and there.
Another option would be to find some bookshelves to go on either side of the table for tv.
In your bay window, I would hang a chandelier or swag pendant light that is dramatic in color and design.
2 Likes   December 22, 2012 at 10:01AM
mkolby
@Lee - liked your pics with the combination of pink, black and white. One of my thoughts was to use black and white rug to create this combination, but I'm afraid to get sick after a while of all of these bold colors. My second choice is an ivory-colorful rug like this. What do you think about this option?

@Design Mode - thank you for your insights. I completely agree with you and love your ideas. My husband also thought to turn the sofa 90 degrees for the same reasons. The lamp is exactly what we are looking for - it's soo classic!!! And the Zebra painting I loved as well. But where you find cool art pieces that won't hurt your pocket?

@mpoulsum - the white table is supposed to be a work station. I don't know yet where to place it, but we'll see. No I'm more concerned with the TV unit. The wall is huge and has to be filled as well. Thank you for your ideas - very helpful.
0 Likes   December 22, 2012 at 11:47AM
mkolby
Additional pics
0 Likes   December 22, 2012 at 11:50AM
Lee Poehler
I think either way would look great. Is that a rug?
0 Likes   December 22, 2012 at 12:07PM
mkolby
yep
0 Likes   December 22, 2012 at 12:28PM
mpoulsom
here's an abstract painting idea for color splash somewhere else in the room...may not be your style. i am an artist so i always push original artwork. This is not mine, just an example though that I thought may look good. look on etsy for art, or go to a local gallery or student artshow. Support local artists if you can!! :)
3 Likes   December 22, 2012 at 12:48PM
carbary
I love the style you are building! I think pillows would soften the space in fun colors. Next would be curtains you can use any fabric even flat sheets with ring and clip curtain rings.i might even paint the table in the corner.
2 Likes   December 22, 2012 at 4:24PM
Lee Poehler
The rug could be tricky, but possible. You would need to get very picky about the colors you add as pillows, art or whatever, because they would need to blend it your sofa. I personally think the rug would be more fun cut and framed in several pieces as art or left out altogether. The purple in it makes me want to steer clear of it because afraid it will clash with your sofa.

Also was thinking about your current tables. They coud work very awsomely, just need to repurpose. Take the legs off and at a hardware or second hand store find legs or pipes that are simular to yours...you want them to be very very close or it will clash. Then painting them all black would make them go with the black and white themed rooms I showed you earlier.
1 Like   December 22, 2012 at 6:13PM
PRO
Design Mode
Cool art pieces? AllPosters.com has posters to frame. Ikea has inexpensive art & frames. Local artists or college art shows. Or look at DIY projects on the web, and do something on a big canvas. David Bromstad used to create on canvas for Color Splash on HGTV.
2 Likes   December 22, 2012 at 6:54PM
larry1333
I found these! I LIKE them a lot!
1 Like   December 22, 2012 at 7:19PM
PRO
Metro Interiors
I would go with a black/white themed room with pops of color espically in an appartment. A crystal/glass chandlier. A vertical striped black/white print for the fl or even a kardasian print for a more formal look. Accent lamps. Stick with black.white main furniture due to the accent purple couch. Hope this suggestion helps!
2 Likes   December 22, 2012 at 7:29PM
PRO
Metro Interiors
I would go with a black/white themed room with pops of color espically in an appartment. A crystal/glass chandlier. A vertical striped black/white print for the fl or even a kardasian print for a more formal look. Accent lamps. Stick with black.white main furniture due to the accent purple couch. Hope this suggestion helps!
2 Likes   December 22, 2012 at 7:30PM
mkolby
I want to thank each and everyone of you for your insights. It's so helpful you just can't imagine. We've already got a rug and now looking for an arc lamp. After everything is set much or less, we will look for art pieces. These abstract paintings really speak to me. I've already browsed Etsy and found cool things there. Now we take a short break, but i'll keep posting the updates. And meanwhile Happy New Year!
0 Likes   December 29, 2012 at 6:43AM