powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
HELP! How can I dress up my boring hallway?
brandilaga
December 22, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Please help, how can I liven up my entry way/ hall ? I've tried a few things a small round table under the chandelier, it made the area seem a little cramped and a console table seemed to block the view to my great room. Any and all ideas would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Anish Motwani Associates
hello

the walls above the moulding look dull - make them vibrant.. add some family pictures in nice frames (but let the pictures be black and white and frames be in gold or silver color)

The ceiling looks amazing - add some good better chandilier on the top

check images in my ideabooks

regards
December 22, 2012 at 8:16am   
Dar Eckert
Move your bench away from the doors to the other side of the arch. Get a hall tree/seat combination as narrow as possible. The bench seems to big for your entry. Alternatively, You could also just add a narrow console table and mirror at that location instead of a bench. Look at table in photo. Add a colorful runner. May need to repaint to coordinate with runner.

For the ceiling paint it pale blue or shiny metallic silver or shiny metalic gold. I think the gold would warm the area but may not work as well with the cool grays and whites.
December 22, 2012 at 8:43am     
collettec
I think color would add a lot. One option would be pulling that taupe/gray color from the floor tile as a wall color.
December 22, 2012 at 8:46am   
PRO
Butterfly Yao
For me, I would like to move that bench, put a small shelf attach to the wall for keys, letter. Add a long brown tone carpet. Also I would like to add some blue color in this area.
December 22, 2012 at 9:27am     
PRO
ModaScapes Interior Design
What about wallpapering the top portion of the wall?! That could be fantastically dramatic. And to accentuate those unique arches, paint the return a complimentary color in the paper. I completely agree that the bench is too big for the space by the door. I like the console table idea on the other side of the arches... and the one shown in the photo has a top that mimicks the shape of the arch and has legs that relate to the chandelier.
December 22, 2012 at 9:43am     
judianna20
Gallery
Global Views Rustic Black Mirror
Cathedral Mirror
First impression of your hall is avery nice one. What I would change is the dark molding color on the ceiling. I would prefer to see the baseboard molding painted /stained the front door color. Then some sconces on the wall in the same feeling as the chandy OR four matching gorgeous mirrors to the left and right of the arches.
December 22, 2012 at 9:45am     
PRO
Jo Cook Interior Design
I would paint the dark molding around the ceiling in a white and chair rail and below in same white color. Then paint a contrast color on the walls above the chair rail. Add a more narrow bench in a color that makes it stand out from the door color, and center a new rug on the door. Would you consider changing the chandelier? Pictures on the walls with lots of color as well would finish it off.
December 22, 2012 at 9:55am     
mpoulsom
Paint ceiling a light gray/blue first of all.
And I know I'm going against everyone else's suggestions here, but what about painting the bottom wainscoting a darker color and then putting up some beautiful artwork above on the light colored walls?
Def agree with replacing the bench with something smaller and narrower in depth!
December 22, 2012 at 10:32am   
PRO
Cancork Floor Inc.
Beautiful space! I had to look twice to see the bench! Which means it's not working. I love the french moulding on the walls. Beautiful touch. I would love to see a "marble" inlay in those 4 areas - something that compliments the flooring. Leave the trim white. Add a blue/gray paint to the lower wall below the chair rail and see how that works.

I've seen white cork tiles being glued into a space to create a "marble" inlay just as I've described! I worked BEAUTIFULLY! If you really want a strong reaction to the space - black marble inlay!

As for the bench, it probably needs a new home. Perhaps a floating shelf with a beautiful oval mirror above - dark trimmed of course.
December 22, 2012 at 11:10am   
brandilaga
Thanks so much for all the ideas! So much to think about now. I especially like the ideas that do not require adding any furniture pieces to the space, I cant seem to find any really narrow pieces and anything I've put there seems too bulky including the bench that's currently there.
December 22, 2012 at 6:07pm   
PRO
Jo Cook Interior Design
I'm not sure how deep your existing bench is, but try Horchow or Boston Interiors on line stores, they have many upholstered benches to choose from, some have depths as small as 20". Look at the ones with no arms and backs for a different look. Good luck!
December 23, 2012 at 8:25am