Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Small Window on Large Wall
Kempler Design
December 22, 2012 in Before & After
This window from a design perspective is too small for the size of the wall. We decided to do decorative side panels to accentuate the window and the decorative furniture piece in front of it. The homeowner will also be painting the wall to match the Hunter Douglas Pirouette Shade, thus creating a contrasting wall behind the white drapery. One small and important design note. It is important when covering a window that you are trying to disguise, that you use blackout material so you can not see the outline of the window when the sun shines through the window.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Dytecture
Certainly much improved view and takes attention away from the neighbor's siding !
December 23, 2012 at 5:56am   
PRO
At Your Service Custom Window Treatments
very nice solution Paul!
December 24, 2012 at 3:43am   
PRO
Paradise Restored Landscaping & Exterior Design
Interesting - yes it suits window but looks nice bare without too many accessories. Also, wonder what room this is in? Is that a towel rack? Humph, I am confused.
January 4, 2013 at 12:10pm   
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
I do not normally say things like this but that's not a good look. The window treatment is good. The shelf unit looks strange in front of it.
January 4, 2013 at 12:15pm   
PRO
Kempler Design
@ Paradise- Yes, it looks better with the accessories, but I took the photo as I was leaving and they hadn't put the things back on it yet. If you look at the before photo, you will see how they placed their items. I'm not a furniture designer, I only did the draperies and window treatments.

@ Interiors International- Thanks for the compliment on the window treatment. That was my sole role on this job. I'm sure your clients really appreciate that you are willing to share your opinions with them. Too many designers are afraid to offend their clients.
January 4, 2013 at 12:25pm   
PRO
Southern Patina Interiors
No, no no....I'm sorry. The shelving unit is very nice, but not in front of the window.
That shelving unit is a stand alone piece that would work best against a regular wall, where the unit is the focal point. Is this a bathroom????
January 4, 2013 at 1:27pm