Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Entry suggestions?
janamdavis
December 22, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Working on the 1975 ranch update...just painted entry and hallway SW Believable Buff with one accent wall that bumps out SW Mink. Hardwood floors get installed in January and we plan to put in 5-6 inch tall base and new wider casings. I know the current picture and Target table don't work. So, looking for suggestions for lighting in this space. The current light hangs too low, is old and not my taste (ceilings are 8ft). I'm also confused with what to do with the little "nook that cuts back in. I gravitate towards a transitional style with random rustic pieces for interest. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks everyone!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
janamdavis
A view from the back of the house (kitchen/family room area) towards the front door..... and yes, that is seafoam green carpet. Fancy, huh?!?!?!
0 Likes   December 22, 2012 at 10:10AM
PRO
Frank Webb's Bath and Lighting Center
A semi flush fixture will work on an 8' ceiling provided it doesn't hang down lower than 16" or so, and generally they will take higher wattage light bulbs so you can get more light, try to stay away from the clear glass if you want to avoid the light patterns that reflect onto the walls and ceiling, like the one you have now is doing!
1 Like   December 22, 2012 at 11:08AM
PRO
Frank Webb's Bath and Lighting Center
I would also suggest putting a buffet lamp or two onto whatever table you end up putting in there
2 Likes   December 22, 2012 at 11:10AM
PRO
Barbara Ann Holmes - Lintels & Lallies
Hi there, maybe try something like this (browse around there are a few I thought would work too) from Restoration Hardware. It will add that touch of rustic you like & you should be able to adjust the length. http://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod2111640&categoryId=cat1701013
I'm not sure what type of clearance you have around the door, but maybe some charming hooks in that recessed area.
Hope this helps!
Happy Holidays!
3 Likes   December 22, 2012 at 11:14AM
orangecamera
If I'm seeing this correctly, you have a double door, but only the right side opens. So when you come in the door, you're facing that little nook area. If that's the case, I'd see about having the left side of the door open, and the right side stationary. That way when you come in you're looking into the house instead of a dead end.

I think that dead-end area is perfect for a mirror of some sort. It's nice to have a place to check your appearance before you head out. If you do a wall of smaller framed pictures, you can incorporate a framed mirror.
0 Likes   December 22, 2012 at 12:26PM
janamdavis
You are close....yes, double doors. Both open, if we want but that only happens occasionally. For a visitor, if they were standing on the porch looking at the house, the left door is the one that opens. You would walk in, the recessed nook area is to the direct right (which has a recessed light pointing at that wall, so previous owners must have showcased something here?). To the direct left when you walk in is a large living room, and straight ahead but down a bit of a hall is a wall. Turn left at that wall you enter the kitchen, turn right the dining room. Just past my Mink wall as you enter the house from the porch is the hall to the bedrooms. So, long story short, you're not looking at a wide open house (unfortunately) when you walk in, but not a total dead end either. The 3rd picture I posted in comments is looking toward the front door from the back hall by the kitchen/dining/family room. I think a cool hook idea might work for the recessed area for coats, if I could figure out how to do it well. We have a coat closet, so that area would primarily be for guests, I guess. Thanks again everyone! I truly value different opinions and options!
0 Likes   December 22, 2012 at 1:42PM
janamdavis
Also, I would like to get an open table for the area to make the space feel bigger. How about art or a mirror above that? I'm not so good with that stuff.
0 Likes   December 22, 2012 at 1:43PM
orangecamera
janamdavis, thanks for the layout, it makes sense :)

How about this? Rustic and sophisticated at the same time, IMO. I found it at custommade.com They will (as the name implies) customize the size for you.
2 Likes   December 22, 2012 at 1:50PM
mpoulsom
I would probably put a vertically long piece of artwork on that wall to the right when you walk in...at least 6 ft tall and 3 ft wide, so that you would see it from the living area. But I'm an artist, so of course I would say that! ;)
and maybe a runner further down into that hallway area. Not from the front door, but out of sight from the living area, if that makes sense???
then maybe a large mirror above the table you have now on the mink wall. Bigger than the picture you have now, with a lamp to the left on top.
1 Like   December 22, 2012 at 1:56PM
janamdavis
Orangecamera...pretty cool! In fact....I think I could probably make that. We live on 9 wooded acres and I'm not too shabby with power tools and a saw. =)

mpoulsom...I like your idea for the art as well...especially since the light is there. Do you know of any pieces that are in that size range that you like? The nook space is 3'8" wide, 8' high with a 12" clearance if we were to open the second door. And...yes, the runner idea makes sense!

Thank you all!
1 Like   December 22, 2012 at 2:07PM
orangecamera
janamdavis, yes, I'm sure you could make that yourself! I actually thought that too.

I'm in NJ, where we still have an abundance of logs and branches on the sides of roads. I've been collecting some branches, and hope to make something interesting once my life settles a bit...I've added that picture to my ideabook :) Now...if only I could find someone with a pickup truck and strong arms to bring me some huge logs to make into a coffee table....

Back to your questions... www.allposters.com is a great place to browse for pictures. One of the criteria is by size. You can even get pictures on canvas, they look really cool that way. I just checked their site, and there's a 75% off sale on clearance items...have fun!
0 Likes   December 22, 2012 at 5:20PM
PRO
Mirrors are always great for entryways. They make a space feel larger & can give you/guests one last check before leaving the house. :). I agree something more vertical would fit that wall best. I custom made a vertical mirror for a client once that had a wide (2-2 1/2" wide) frame on it & we drilled a hook on either side of the mirror in the upper third of the frame. It was a very cozy and custom look. (wish I would have taken a picture -sorry)
0 Likes   December 22, 2012 at 5:27PM
PRO
Here, I googled a picture similar to what we did...if you are good with tools, this is something you can do yourself! http://www.polyvore.com/baxter_entryway_mirror_hooks_wall/thing?id=43407578
0 Likes   December 22, 2012 at 5:31PM
mpoulsom
jan..if you wanted to....and you like the coat rack log thingy that orangecamera posted...you could do that same thing but do it vertically instead of horizontally for your piece of artwork. just a thought. It has interesting texture and could not only be your art piece by the door, but would be functional as well. cheers!
1 Like   December 24, 2012 at 9:22AM
mpoulsom
look at etsy for original artwork ...and go to a local gallery or student art show as well! support your local artists if possible!
2 Likes   December 24, 2012 at 9:23AM
Nancy Hehmann
Etsy is a great place to go for all types of wall hangings including photography. You also can easily contact the "shop owners" (internet) Most people can customize the size and type of media to fit your needs. For instance, my listings are for 8 in x 10 in Kodak ENDURA metallic but I can get any size needed or any media such as canvas, metal prints, coasters, wood blocks from a nationally known photo lab. Just click on the word contact to discuss by email. To narrow your search, Etsy has a great search engine. Just type in photography and a theme if you would like such as Peacock, Venice, Paris, carriiage, coastal or ocean. Have a Merry Christmas everyone or holiday season!
1 Like   December 24, 2012 at 9:45AM
spearmelissa
Orange camera, LOVE that idea!! Beautiful!
1 Like   December 24, 2012 at 9:55AM
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
I like the entry chest below because it's elegant but a little bit rustic, all in one piece. I'd add a mirror above it, hung vertically, and a lamp. While I very much like the tree slice/coat hook piece, I think it's too casual for your front entry and believe it could work better near the door from the garage into the house. A large vertical piece of art would be perfect instead, as mentioned above.
"Calligraphy" Chest Paris Mansion Antiqued Gold Wall Mirror by Two's Company® Grand Honey Buffet Lamp
1 Like   December 24, 2012 at 10:51AM
PRO
Perhaps the entry light just needs to become a recessed light directed toward that wall with the huge piece of vertical art that you haven't yet acquired!
0 Likes   December 24, 2012 at 5:15PM