Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Ideas for family/living room
A Lipka
December 22, 2012 in Design Dilemma
We are first time home owners, and we having been working little by little. I have no idea what to do with our living/family room. There's a giant wall that our tv and stand sit on, but I don't know what else to do with that wall. It's so boring! Please help with some ideas!! All furniture is from our apartment, I've never had to decorate such a big room. I know the pictures behind the couch are too small (and right now not centered because of the Christmas tree).
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Macral Design Corp
Hi: I would like suggest you some entertaiment center for that wall. I think that could be a good solution.
Designed and manufactured in Spain.
More options in my houzz profile. We have more than 40 differents models.
December 22, 2012 at 10:44AM     
PRO
Cancork Floor Inc.
The vents are what is "putting off" that wall. The shelving solutions seen in the post above are an excellent design/decor solution. Go with white entertainment center on the wall (as seen above) to give a wonderful accent to the gray walls. The brown in the TV stand is also causing confusion as what to do next. White on gray is a beautiful, modern touch.
December 22, 2012 at 10:53AM     
mcgibs55
I would consider mounting the TV on the wall, and then get a couple of tall shelving units to flank the bottom console to make the entertainment area appear larger. Maybe tighten up the couch formation so it is a bit more cosy, and then get some low tables for under the windows to host plants and the like. use the ottoman as a central coffee table for the seating area.

I feel as though your wall shelves are mounted a bit too high, eye level is probably as high as you'd want to go. It just seems like you're trying to spread the furniture around as far as possible to take up the most space, but if you create a comfortable seating area, the open space will speak for itself.

Adding some wall art will also infuse the room with your personality. The pictures above the couch are great, but I myself would rather see them in a straight line because then they will appear to take up more room and be perceived as a unit.

I would probably also hem your drapes to a few inches above the carpet, I feel like theres not quite enough matieral to create that luxurious fabric pool you sometimes see.

Good Luck and Merry Christmas!
December 22, 2012 at 10:54AM     
PRO
Barbara Ann Holmes - Lintels & Lallies
Hi there! Do you plan to keep the TV on that wall, or are you one who likes to change your furniture layout a lot? If you want it on that wall, I'd consider mounting it to the wall & doing an art arrangement around the TV. That will also help camouflage the vents outlets etc. This option will also give the room a focal point.

Also, follow these guides when hanging art:
Things should be eye level...in a family room, you primarily sit, so they should be lower.
Art should be 4-12" above your furniture so that everything is *connected*.
When hanging small images, they should be tighter/closer together so that together they become one large piece.
And lastly, try to keep groupings at least 3" inside the furniture width (on each side). Think of your TV as art. It is very close to the table size, so if your table is bigger, it won't look as small on that wall.

You could also use a longer table under the TV. (even if you don't go with a mounting system) That would be a better scale & will offer more storage. You will be amazed at how different the space will feel when you lower your art! Those are some simple fixes. If/when you have more questions, just ask!

Merry Christmas!
December 22, 2012 at 10:59AM     
PRO
Frank Webb's Bath and Lighting Center
I would suggest painting those vents above the TV the same color as the wall so they blend in better, also I agree the wall shelves and other items you have on the wall by the recliner are up too high, plus there seems to be a lot of small pictures hanging on the walls all spread out, grouping them together at eye level will make more of a statement and give you room to hang some bigger pictures or prints
December 22, 2012 at 11:00AM     
sandkshouse
You haven't really given a lot of information to go off of. What are you open to changing and what are you wanting to keep? What style do you like.

My immediate thoughts are:

- As you pointed out, the three pictures above the couch are too small. They need to be moved to another location and put something more size appropriate above the couch.

- Recessed lighting would be great in this room.

- You said the furniture came from your apartment, so I hope this won't be to harsh, but the couch and matching chair are pretty tired looking. I'd consider some stylish new furniture of the budget allows.

- Overall, this is a pretty low contrast color palette. I'd look for ways to add punches of color and a bit more contrast. Area rug, throw pillows, black or brightly colored curtains, etc.

- A coffee table would be a nice addition.

- Get ride of the clutter around the end tables.

- The entertainment center seems a little anemic. If it wouldn't mess with your air flow (I see you have three vents / returns on the wall), look for something that would have more presence on that wall. Actually, Crate & Barrel has some cool wall sized entertainment units that are pretty open and wouldn't restrict airflow even if they were placed in front of the vents.

- Paint the vent coves to match the walls. No need to call attention to them by having them white.

- On the wall with the tinsel around the windows, you have some things hanging on the walls that are really high. Those should be lowered and spaced better on the wall.

It looks like a nice space, and I like having windows on both ends. So you have something good to work with. I hope I've given you some ideas to work with.
December 22, 2012 at 11:01AM     
A Lipka
Thanks for all the input! We will probably keep the TV on that wall because of the size of that wall compared to the one across from it. I agree that the TV stand is small and more storage could be very helpful and look better. The drapes are from the previous owner, and I have a feeling we will be looking to change those out. We definitely agree about pointing the vents, there's so many on that small wall! We used all the screws they already had in the wall to hang our art as of now, which is why they are up so high and spread. We are going to see if they left any if the gray paint color so that we can do some patching and lower pieces to eye level. Thanks for the guidance on measuring to hang items-very helpful.

Question- the wood work in our house is like a honey oak, will it look weird to use white wood furniture? We (more him) were thinking of eventually doing some crown moulding in white- any opinions?

I would love to get a much better looking sectional at some point, do you think a sectional would help create that cozier feel for a seating area?

Thanks again for all the great input!
December 22, 2012 at 11:17AM   
A Lipka
As far as style, I do like more traditional with a bit of eclectic touches. I tend to stay away from real modern or contemporary styles.
December 22, 2012 at 11:22AM   
PRO
Barbara Ann Holmes - Lintels & Lallies
Never worry about trim & furniture matching unless you are building a built-in cabinet. So, white furniture is just fine! Sectionals are nice, but I recommend one that comes apart for flexibility. You don't want to be limited by one "L". (especially seasonally when you might need to shuffle things a little for the tree). Congrats on your new home!
December 22, 2012 at 11:38AM   
PRO
Cancork Floor Inc.
If you are a traditionalist, then get rid of the gray wall. The browns of wood rarely work with a streamlined colour like gray. Choose some traditional - yet modernized pieces and use those to dictate your wall colour. Gray is very modern. It is "space age". Because it is so close to silver, it will always clash with a traditional feel (unless you prefer the feeling of the High Salons of Paris in 1788 - which is truly traditional).

Find some shelving and book cases entertainment systems that work with your style and then find a colour for your walls.
December 22, 2012 at 11:39AM