Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Renovating ensuite bathroom
fraserml
December 22, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Our ensuite is very small. We are getting ready to renovate. Right now half the vanity is unusable because the toilet is right beside it. How can I make better use of the space. What can I do. Should I get a smaller vanity? If so What do I put in the corner and still be able to access it?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Butterfly Yao
how about sliding door?
0 Likes   December 22, 2012 at 11:56AM
wmpj
Can you take some more pictures of the bathroom so we can see what the entire bathroom looks like? What are the dimensions of the room?
0 Likes   December 22, 2012 at 12:21PM
orangecamera
I would keep the same size vanity, it's nice having all that counter space. In the unused area next to the toilet, I'd put in a drawer at the top area. Leave the bottom part "flat" (not door, not drawer, no opening) and mount a magazine rack.
0 Likes   December 22, 2012 at 12:30PM
cypress
Hello there, I would install the same size vanity for the counter space, but at the end of the cabinet, I would leave it open underneath, room enough to stash the trash can!
1 Like   December 22, 2012 at 1:56PM
kitasei
Re Butterfly's suggestion of a sliding door, I envisioned a barn door. But can someone enlighten us as to how private they are?
0 Likes   December 22, 2012 at 1:57PM
PRO
Dytecture
Here is an example with corner full height storage.

3 Likes   December 22, 2012 at 4:49PM
1mortoy
We had a similar layout in our bathrooms. While the counter space was great, the toilet position made it unusable. We moved the toilets to the vanity wall and installed floating cabinets ( from Ikea) that have great storage and enough counter space for essentials. In the full bath I installed side by side, recessed medicine cabinets. I have more storage than I need! The first photo is the full bath, still waiting on installation of my tile border . The second pic is the powder room.
1 Like   December 22, 2012 at 7:02PM
danatarheel
1mortoy's suggestion is quite pretty but moving plumbing may be expensive and I'm not sure what all you actually gain other than a sense of openness and perhaps well the ability for two people to be in there at the same time...which may be helpful if you have small children. I think I agree most with Dytecture's suggestion to move the sink over to the right and store your trash can underneath and maybe a basket to hold your hair appliances (during the renovation you can have an electrical outlet installed under there as well to avoid seeing the cords). If you're adding a new wooden vanity cabinet, consider an open shelf that is high enough to store rolls of toilet paper under there as well. Then add your storage at eye level (mirror medicine cabinet, hotel towel shelf over toilet) as opposed to under the vanity which is an area that tends to be quickly neglected. Anytime you can avoid bending over and reaching in for supplies, you avoid clutter traps.
1 Like   December 22, 2012 at 8:31PM
orangecamera
If you're having electrical work done, consider an outlet near the base of the toilet, in case you decide to add a washlet later. And speaking of toilets, I recommend you get one that is "comfort height" or ADA compliant. It is significantly more comfortable for most people.
0 Likes   December 24, 2012 at 6:25AM
PRO
Frank Webb's Bath and Lighting Center
I would get a vanity with open shelves on the sides for storage and change the toilet to one that is higher as suggested above but also one that is narrower like this one from American Standard, it is only 14 1/2" wide!
0 Likes   December 24, 2012 at 7:18AM