powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
How to hide two roller shades on one window or door?
kakiebell
December 22, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I would like to put a solar shade on my windows and a decorative cloth shade on top of that. If the solar shade does not take care of the glare and sun, I want to be able to pull a secondary shade down to take care of the problem. How would you be able to hide two rolls at the top as there is not room inside the windows and door to install the shades inside the window.
Thank you for any help!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
houssaon
Why wouldn't a solar shade protect against glare and sun? That is their function. I wouldn't double up on rollers. Although it will be hard to cover the upper most ones with blinds.

You would be better off adding a sun screen to the window. One product on Houzz is Energy Film.

Another option is to add an awning to the windows on the outside: Ana Williamson Architect, Feldman Architecture, and Lake Calhoun Residence. You can find a design that suits your house.
December 22, 2012 at 2:36PM   
babyblue1588
Id try to find shades that double function..but if you want to have the two, then you could use a decorative shade with a valence to cover the rolls or if youre into it, you could try a cornice
December 22, 2012 at 3:29PM   
PRO
EB Interiors
I know that Hunter Douglas makes beautiful woven wood shades that have the option of a pleated privacy liner behind it. The shade has two controls so you can pull up one shade without the other...
of course, very well made.
hunterdouglas.com
December 22, 2012 at 4:20PM     
PRO
Dytecture
Most interior shades don't need to be hung within the window frame.

December 22, 2012 at 4:27PM   
kakiebell
The problem is hanging two different shades, one on top of the other.
December 22, 2012 at 9:31PM   
kakiebell
We have the solar shades in our house in Telluride, Colorado. They do at some times of the day help with the glare but not all the time. When the sun is shining very brightly, especially in the summer, at 10,000 feet, the solar shades only help a little bit. They do not control the sun and glare when trying to watch television. EB do you know the name of the shade by Hunter Douglas that has the dual function?
It sounds exactly what I need.
Thanks to all.
December 22, 2012 at 9:39PM   
kakiebell
Baby Blue, exactly what I am looking for. That is why I am asking for help because I have not been able to find a window covering that allows to functions.
December 22, 2012 at 9:43PM   
charleee
You can also buy solar window film instead of the solar shade, and then putting a roller shade over that won't be an issue!
December 23, 2012 at 3:23AM   
Linda Buice
You could have the decorative fabric laminated onto the shade. Then you'd only have one shade that should be heavy enough to perform both functions
December 23, 2012 at 4:26AM     
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.