powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Color quandry: pulling colors from gray...
bwcoz
December 22, 2012 in Design Dilemma
We're stuck trying to pick colors for the new bathroom add-on in a 1920's California Bungalow in San Francisco. We certainly could stay neutral, but I thought it could be an interesting opportunity to try to bring some color to it. The stone is taupe with silvers, grays, and light creams. The vanity is stainless steel. Tub, toilet, sink and window are white.

Any ideas from the color experts out there?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Toni Sabatino
Other than a color from the tile, I like lime green.
0 Likes   December 22, 2012 at 6:05PM
bwcoz
Thanks Toni. I'm a fan of greens - I just dont want it to be too saturated with it. How light would you make it? In terms of the stone, it's pretty true to gray, maybe slightly orange if anything at all in there.
0 Likes   December 22, 2012 at 6:20PM
Michelle Mink
How do you feel about blues? Something like a slate blue. This could pick up on the gray tones and would work with silver. Definitely buy sample pots of any colors you are considering and paint them on different walls in the room. This will save you money in the long run. You'll be surprised at how different the colors look at different times of the day.
1 Like   December 22, 2012 at 6:26PM
PRO
Toni Sabatino
I was thinking of something bold like the attached photos but don't know your style. Kittery point green and kennebunkport green are kind of greigy and more subtle.
1 Like   December 22, 2012 at 6:35PM
bwcoz
@Michelle: I like the slate blues also. Something chalky almost? I would just worry that it would feel heavy in this small space.

@Toni: Definitely prefer the lighter ones you posted to the Kennebunkport you mentioned... I'd prefer to brighten the stone up a bit.

Or do you think staying monochromatic would give the best 'Spa' vibe?
0 Likes   December 22, 2012 at 7:07PM
PRO
Metro Interiors
Definitly a light blue. Color contrast is great and gray/blue is not too heavy.
0 Likes   December 22, 2012 at 7:35PM
PRO
Riverside Design
Benjamin Moore Sea Haze, beautiful blue green gray...you will love it :)
0 Likes   December 22, 2012 at 7:41PM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
If you want a "spa vibe" you should stay monochromatic and keep it in the warm tones in the stone. This will look great with your vanity.
0 Likes   December 22, 2012 at 7:49PM
PRO
EB Interiors
this is definately calling for a sea green. very soothing and great contrast of your grays
0 Likes   December 22, 2012 at 8:01PM
lynettefrancois
Silver metallic would be stunning- it's subtle. I think you want drama, not color in this case. Ralph Lauren used to make it in a ton of shades of gray and neutrals that would be perfect, but they don't sell it at the Home Depot any more. Google Ralph Lauren paint and you'll see it as Regent Metallics.
0 Likes   December 22, 2012 at 9:22PM
PRO
Toni Sabatino
My original gut instinct was to pull a color from the stone. I think monochromatic will be soothing and let the beauty of the stone stand out. I think the stone itself is enough drama for the space. I am looking forward to the photos after you paint.
0 Likes   December 23, 2012 at 5:09AM
Lkristine
I think you could still have a spa feel with some beautiful color, the Shore Collection as well as the Silver Sage collection would look beautiful, of either i would use the lightest color option available, here are the links. http://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod1161246&categoryId=search http://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod1161267&categoryId=search I think I would choose the Glacier color from the Shore Collection. Anyway, whatever you choose, neutral or subtle color it looks like you are going to have a beautiful bathroom!
0 Likes   December 23, 2012 at 5:32AM
yodimcat
An orangey - red
0 Likes   December 25, 2012 at 4:57PM
More Discussions
Need advice for painting a front door yellow
Do you paint the door yellow on the interior and exterior?...
Need help room that serves as a sitting area and dinning room
I've had 3 different designers (not from houzz) that...
New wall color needed
This guest bathroom was renovated 3 years ago and I...
Limited T.V/Family Room
We are slowly redoing every room in our new house as...
What color would you stain/paint the table?
Just purchased an unfinished table for this space....
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.