Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with furniture layout for unconventional rounded living room
mogunovl
December 22, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Hi. We just bought PH condo with nice 180' views. But it has egg-shaped living room with open kitchen and it's becoming a challenge to select and arrange furniture around it.. Personally i like modern minimalist style and I think it fits there,...but still cannot visualize it.
Any suggestions/ideas are greatly appreciated!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Metro Interiors
Why not turn it into a dining room with views
December 22, 2012 at 8:06PM   
PRO
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
Where in the world is this? What an amazing view! I think in this case you could be a little unconventional and arrange comfortable chairs around a central table, so you can dine here casually as well as sit and visit and enjoy the view.
December 22, 2012 at 8:18PM     
PRO
Barbara Ann Holmes - Lintels & Lallies
First of all, what a fantastic space! I would say swivel chairs/seating are a must so you can position according to where the conversation is at the moment. This will give you flexibility. If a TV is of concern, I would recommend having it in a lift of a table, so that it is is not obstructing your fantastic view. Maybe this *table* could be custom-built to double as a bench for extra seating between the pillars?...If you *want* more of a division from the kitchen, maybe try a sleek industrial bar-like (pub table height) island with stools you can pull out from under the island...hope this helps. Enjoy planning ~ this floor plan is a gem!
December 22, 2012 at 8:35PM   
collettec
Is there any standing division between the kitchen and living room? If not I would think about a rectangular table in the kitchen area, some type of cabinet as a divider between the kitchen and living room area and a seating arrangement that is centered facing the the two columns, either a couch and two chairs or two sofas facing each other with two chairs in between them facing toward the columns. Perhaps a low cabinet of some type in the area between the two columns.
December 22, 2012 at 8:47PM     
mogunovl
Wow! Thank you so much everyone for your great ideas. I tend to agree with seating centered around the columnns. I also liked the idea of swivel seatings. Division between kitchen and living areas is in the works... maybe a bar-like small kitchen island?
December 23, 2012 at 8:29AM     
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
That is just amazing you are a very lucky person to have such a great space. I would use a Italian leather low kidney shaped sofa with the back toward the kitchen. Two low swivel chairs in front of the windows between the columns. Put a 4 top glass dining table to the left of the kitchen. Have a custom built console that is finished on all sides dividing the two areas. Have a lift in this for the TV. That is a start I would work my way from there.
December 23, 2012 at 8:42AM     
PRO
diamondblue
WOW!! Have fun floating in the sky! Put a simple glass bar between those pillars and people will gravitate and hang out there especially since you don't have a kitchen island. A curved sofa would be fantastic if you want to splurge - but not necessary. Just have plenty of room around the bar so people can walk around. I have light weight Mcquire lounge chairs that are so light, yet very sturdy and large that they are easy to move around to different configurations. Flexibility.
December 23, 2012 at 10:06AM     
PRO
diamondblue
December 23, 2012 at 10:19AM   
PRO
diamondblue
McQuire has an old glass console table that is versatile. Houzz has lots of glass console tables that would be good bars between those columns. The columns are the focal point to work with and frames a portion of the view. http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/10410527
December 23, 2012 at 10:27AM   
PRO
Cancork Floor Inc.
I found this image off of the internet - I simply typed in "round sofa" and there it was! Houzz.com has a lovely selection of swivel chair modern.

With this space, I would have a tendency to keep the "oval" or "egg shape" theme. Try to keep corners rounded, furniture low slung and everything sleek and clean! You obviously have the eye for this type of space...because you bought it! I would say, "Go with your gut...because your gut bought your space!"

Do an image search of "dining table kidney" and you will come up with hundreds of ideas! You can have SO MUCH FUN with this space!!! Enjoy the challenge of finding pieces that are void of 90 deg. angles! I think you can really fly with this space!
December 23, 2012 at 10:43AM   
PRO
diamondblue
December 23, 2012 at 12:11PM     
judianna20

Can you do an arrangement like this? One of the fabulous sofas which Cancork found to take advantage of that view; another seating area for the t v and the third for dining? What a great design dilemma you have :
December 23, 2012 at 12:21PM   
csmrtn
I love the idea of the curved sofa. They have some beauties at Roche Bobois or Vladimir Kagan if you have deep pockets!
December 23, 2012 at 12:37PM   
mogunovl
Everyone thank you again for your thoughts and ideas! I really like the idea of rounded (egg-shaped or "kidney") furniture items. In terms of colors theme, I'm thinking white and glass. White low sofa and chairs, glass (or white as well) table... Now, I'm even thinking about making the kitchen in metallic white.. also adding a kitchen island to separate it from living area (as many of you suggested) One thing I'm not sure is positioning of the TV.. between columns? Or on the right side (if facing columns) centered between the kitchen and the right column.
December 23, 2012 at 10:12PM   
PRO
Anish Motwani Associates
hello

have independent sitting - add 4-5 chairs (relaxing chairs) and make it in to a unique sitting arrangement. Add centre table in between and have a nice colorful rug below the centre table

Add pictures/ paintings to the walls

go for nice pastel/light color silk curtains and enhance the beauty

regards
December 23, 2012 at 11:43PM   
PRO
Cheery Curtains
Hi, curtains may work well in this situation. You need to install flexible curtain track. Cheery Curtains offer lots of nice curtains you may like and I will attach some photos here.

For more curtain designs, welcome to my Houzz page!
December 24, 2012 at 2:48AM   
PRO
Cheery Curtains
Hi, curtains in light or natural curtains will work quite nice. You need to install flexible curtain tracks so that the tracks can form nice curves that fit the window frame.
Cheery Curtains offer lots of nice curtains that you may like, and I will attach some photos here. For more curtain designs, welcome to my Houzz page!
December 24, 2012 at 2:54AM   
angela428
Hi, This is a stunning room, I am not sure where you are, but it must be beautiful in the evening. I am assuming your kitchen is for all meals and I think you do need a table for breakfast, lunch, etc. Giving up a dining table is difficult, but they have come very far and
Come in sizes and shapes.Do you use the guest room? Just a question.
I would do one of the following with the kitchen add an island in front 42" high so that the living area does not see you have dishes etc. Left to right in the island is storage on end with door with shelves for storage facing out 42" wide. I would have a drawer above this and this would be for setting table China and silverware, then turn to small sink for bar and ice maker, then storage again and a wine cooler on the other end facing out. It will be 24 and will have more open storage at end to equal 42". Here you can put some beautiful gold vases etc. I would hang Sonnema. Handkerchief Ceiling light that is long glass with wires and beautiful when lit. Not one of those wagon wheels with fake little light bulbs, it is stunning. Or a Missoni chandelier in multiple colors so you can make sure this one room works together.
The colors I see for you are red tones, gold yellow and a little Moroccan in the home. I would cover the kitchen with custom made doors from a woodworker to the ceiling, right now the cabinets just end with nothing, no molding, no lighting.just stops and the stainless is bright and detracts.
Some beautiful wood doors that open and can either track and stack are fine, and make the focal point on this side, the bar to guests and breakfast lunch for the family.

On the front of the 42" we have a 30" shelf that will be in wood to match the wall in front of the kitchen and have sides that will drop down and join a round knob to hold it into place and be quite attractive, I am thinking the granite could go wild in color, frame the front and maybe have the wood with w gold knob. I would have to do drawings, but I adore stone.'
Please visit
Www.akdo.com. gold azul that was lovely, no reds today.
Www.multi stone.com
Www.stone works.com
Www.Jackimo.com He is outstanding with glass and you will adore some of his items
Www.3form.com They have some outstanding lighting and product I am thinking you could use in the kitchen doors if you wanted to add some glass with design and not all wood and light from behind at night it would be great.

Moving in using the arch as my sight line and not knowing if you are contemporary or traditional.
Furniture
Www.hbf.com
Www.Bernhardt.com
Fabrics,
Old World weavers
Schumacher
Lee Jofa
All the fabrics for sofas.
In hbf I believe is the chair that swivels but is modern and coupled with a long transitional sofa this would work well in between the columns and the
Www.Cumberland.com. coffee tables
Or Bernhardt.
Most of these firms have both residential and commercial. You should look at both sides of the house. Stanley Furniture does have some lovely end tables, but you have to look quite a bit.
Carpet. No option there once you see them it is all over Odegard hand made Tibetan carpet wool and silk stunning,
And the secret place we all shop www.specsimple,com

Once you enter here go to the spec simple product directories click on residential,they will show you all he products

Using the columns as my guideline there is a new sofa at Roche Bobois and it is amazing and fun for all.,You can make a standard to an L or a huge bed like area.

Or the opposite is to be further contemporary with a simple Zen sofa that is or was at the same firm. It may have changed out.

I would suggest your space is so gorgeous that hiring a designer will give you the ability to have this entire are come out tremendous and work for your family. Personall, I believe we have too little information. You may do just a wall of rolling doors in front of the kitchen and need a small table, cafe style for two for a simple petite breakfast/dinner.
not one here really knows, and the fees you spend on your designer will come back with their shopping assistant.
Here you may look at the products, but the discounts are not available.
I would with this fantastic home lay it out completely and know what I can do now ans what I can do in the future.
Enjoy this amazing space and view from sunrise through sunset to lights coming on. How fantastic.
December 24, 2012 at 5:35AM   
apennameandthata
There is nothing you can do. You have bought a dud. Sorry. It is undecoratable. Did they get you to sign a waiver? Poor you. If I were you, I would invite EVERYBODY I know to visit me and commiserate with me.
December 24, 2012 at 6:26AM   
angela428
Who are you apennameandthata? First of all you have no right on this earth or whatever planet you rain on to speak to anyone who has purchased a home and love it, to put your
Incredibly ugly thoughts on paper with a pen and mean and thata - Is my opinion.

And since this person will not apologize I am sure, I can assure you that all Interior Designers and Architects are as apologetic as I am, but my only answer is that every group has one and we too have found ours.

Please accept my apology on behalf of all of us, we also are offended by this way of speaking.

I love this space and view as do all the people above.
Enjoy the holidays and a great New Year as you toast to your incredible view and the start of a new adventure.
December 24, 2012 at 6:51AM     
apennameandthata
@Angela. I am sorry you missed the irony. The last sentence was supposed to be the give away. I suppose that if the owners misunderstood they could always sell up...
December 24, 2012 at 7:58AM   
PRO
diamondblue
December 25, 2012 at 5:06PM   
PRO
December 25, 2012 at 5:22PM   
janishill
mogunovl...what city is this?
December 25, 2012 at 6:14PM   
hnks
I think it's beautiful! Congratulations. I love walls of windows bringing in natural light.
December 25, 2012 at 6:41PM   
hnks
I think it's beautiful! Congratulations. I love walls of windows bringing in natural light.
December 25, 2012 at 6:41PM   
mogunovl
Thanks again for all your ideas and comments (even for the negative one!). The closing was today - now it's time to start working and implementing some of those ideas :) - of course i always open to any new suggestions… btw, it's Brooklyn, New York..
December 26, 2012 at 8:20PM     
apennameandthata
Congrats again. Pls post after photos.
December 26, 2012 at 8:50PM   
PRO
CASTLE Design Studio LLC
Congrats M, gorgeous PH! I saw this chain last night but only now had time to play. If I read the plan correctly, you have 18' from the kitchen wall to the furthest windows. This option includes a TV on a hydrolic lift, comfy seating for 10. Soooooo envious, have fun shopping! Diane
December 27, 2012 at 8:55PM   
PRO
CASTLE Design Studio LLC
Congrats M, gorgeous PH! I saw this chain last night but only now had time to play. If I read the plan correctly, you have 18' from the kitchen wall to the furthest windows. This option includes a TV on a hydrolic lift, comfy seating for 10. Soooooo envious, have fun shopping! Diane
December 27, 2012 at 8:56PM   
More Discussions
What to do with this horrid bathroom?
We purchased an old farmhouse and the master bath is...
Need help with my fireplace.
I would like to update my wood fireplace by painting...
Plz help !
Hi .. I'm almost done ,but still confused about what...
Can this sink be done as an overmount?
We just purchased a sink through houzz. It says in...
Mid Century Modern--No Curb Appeal-Help!
We are purchasing this duplex from family and it's...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.