Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Help with floor layout.
jmudely
December 22, 2012 in Design Dilemma
How would you lay out this apartment with keeping its toilet and shower on their pivoting spots.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yvonnecmartin
Will someone be sleeping in Bedroom 2 full time? It looks small to me.
December 22, 2012 at 9:21PM   
jmudely
Hi Yvonne

It's 3.5 meters by 3 meters approximately.
No one will be sleeping there permanently, its a guest bedroom.
This is a 90 square meter unit, in Johannesburg.
Top floor.

What's your thoughts on the layout.
December 22, 2012 at 9:30PM   
yvonnecmartin
This is a beautiful building. It should be fun to decorate.

Bedroom 2 is big enough I guess if it will be used only as a guest room. But will you also use it to house your computer and personal files? Or will that be in Bedroom 1?

One thing I notice is the entrance is directly into the kitchen. Do you need some sort of closet for people to hang their coats, etc? Or can that be outside the door to the kitchen.

Comments about the floor plan are difficult because I don't know how you live. Do you cook a lot? Will there be two of you living there? Do you want your computer in the living room? How about your personal records? Do you entertain more than a few people at a time?

I am struggling without success to make better use of the hallway between the second bathroom and Bedroom 1.

Are you convinced that you need two full bathrooms or could the one by the kitchen be a powder room (no shower or tub)? If you don't, then reconfiguration of the walls and doors in Bedroom 2 and the bathroom would be necessary. This might give you room for your computer.

A further radical idea would be to scrap the bathroom next to the kitchen and expand the kitchen partway into that space--about as far as the shower. This would allow you to have a U-shaped kitchen counter with a wall of built-ins along the wall where the stove is now located. Then you would have to flip the other bathroom/closet arrangement so that the bathroom is accessible from both bedrooms and the living room. It really depends on if this would give you enough cooking space and if you want to give up the second bathroom.

If this were my space, I would put the dining room table (perhaps not a traditional one, but glass) up by the big windows. I like to look out when I eat my breakfast and we also look out when just the two of us are eating dinner.

I could go on a long time, but I have also seen condos in which the guest bedroom is formed by closing folding doors from a large living room. That involves using either a hide-a-bed or a Murphy bed.
December 22, 2012 at 10:09PM   
jmudely
Thank you. Appreciate your comments, really helpful.
I'm going to answer your questions on sections.
Bedroom two will only be used as a guest room.
I am a single young professional, I enjoy cooking, and love my clothing and entertaining.
I will house my pc on my dressing table in my room in front of bed in bedroom 1 (as the room is long enough).
Long term, the pc will be in bedroom 2.
December 22, 2012 at 10:39PM   
jmudely
People in Johannesburg don't really use coats much, and our winters are not that chilly. A coat hanging space is however a brilliant idea, and this can be created in the space were the desk and chair is drawn (outside bathroom 2).
Alternatively, I would use that cupboard for towels and linen storage.
December 22, 2012 at 10:41PM   
jmudely
I do cook a bit, 3 times a week.
For now it will just be myself, bachelor.
I am a technology fanatic, so most of the living space will be a media room. All probability that my pc will reside next to me on the couch in the lounge.
My personal records can be in one of the cupboards in my walk in closet.
I entertain about 6 people at a time.
December 22, 2012 at 10:44PM   
jmudely
I'm open to ideas on how to make use of the hallway between bedroom 1 and 2. Keep that at the back of your mind :)
December 22, 2012 at 10:46PM   
jmudely
Bathroom 2 is a must,especially when I have guests over and they need to shower.
I wouldn't want to give that up. As for the tub, it has many uses other than bathing when you unable to shower, these include hand washing your clothes, etc.
December 22, 2012 at 10:47PM   
jmudely
I would definitely consider eating near the window,as I believe with the location there are incredible views.
I was however thinking of rotating the dinning table and placing it in the centre of the room in front if the kitchen, and finishing it off with a granite top. That way it would serve as a preparatory area for cooking and also an eating area.
December 22, 2012 at 10:56PM