Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
How to position a dinning table?
deb jo
December 23, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Hi Houzzers, I need help figuring out how to position our dinning table on our new dinning room. Should it be under the light spots or should it be across them?

I ask because our new dinning table is twice the size of the one in the photos.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
INTERIORS BY G
From what I can see in the pictures, I would center the table in the middle of the room (under the spots) so its parallel with the sliding glass door.
8 Likes   December 23, 2012 at 4:21AM
deb jo
Thanks G, The sliding door is actually a "glass wall" type of thing, so they dont open nor give privacy so I will put white drapes there.
2 Likes   December 23, 2012 at 4:29AM
PRO
Designs by BSB
I 2nd that... center in the room/to windows
2 Likes   December 23, 2012 at 4:43AM
deb jo
Great BSB, we were in doubt before between parallel or perpendicular with the glass due to the spots use. But using a extra lamp is a possibility.
0 Likes   December 23, 2012 at 4:56AM
sacapuntaslapioz
not related to table placement but I would frost the bottom 2/3 of the glass
4 Likes   December 23, 2012 at 6:09AM
PRO
Maison Pompeii Antiques and Interiors
I cant really tell too much from the photos but I would place the table along the long axis of the room. I like the idea of white drapery panels on each end and then if you need more privacy maybe white up/down shades that are mounted on the sills rather the header. This still lets you see out. A clean modern look that may go well with the retro furniture I was able to see in the other photo.
2 Likes   December 23, 2012 at 6:17AM
deb jo
Saca: hadn't thought of the frosting yet, thanks for that :)
0 Likes   December 23, 2012 at 6:41AM
deb jo
Ipmenache: Let me see if I understood properly. So you mean for the table to go on the long axis of the room as opposed to wide, as it is in the photo. Where would the placement be? because I have that opening in between to the living area. Photo below of what I mean.
1 Like   December 23, 2012 at 6:44AM
deb jo
I don't have a photo of the end of the dinning room now, but its about the same thing. Should I place the art above a console on this wall, as opposed to placing it on the diving wall ?

Dimension: table 220/266 - 100cm - room 24.5sqm/ 263sqf
0 Likes   December 23, 2012 at 6:57AM
Bonnie
Here is a privacy film that has a graduated design with more privacy coverage on the lower 2/3 with clear view toward the top for light.
http://www.windowfilmandmore.com/3m-fasara-venetian-SH2FGVN.aspx
2 Likes   December 23, 2012 at 7:23AM
PRO
Designs by BSB
Is that wide opening to the kitchen?
The additional photos help -- I would keep the table parallel with the windows. That niche area makes the dining area quaint ! Drapery panels would be beautiful. Consider 2 levels of draperies.. one sheer for some light/privacy control and a more solid fabric to block out more.
Art work.. on wall where the table is now would look lovely.
1 Like   December 23, 2012 at 7:24AM
PRO
Pattigallardo.com
Why don't you turn the table you have in the photo against the wall to use as a side board ,, hang a grouping of iinteresting items above the table , purchase an old parsons table to place in the middle of the room running long , with chairs that will take less space . The windows could be softened with a frosted stencil design and just framed with curtains ceiling to floor. On the exterior you could place tall tree plants with low volumn which would give privacy but at the same time allow the light to come through . This would give another diminution to the room ? If you installed recessed lighting in the ceiling outside , on a dimmer , that would be a beautiful added touch in the evenings.
3 Likes   December 23, 2012 at 7:37AM
deb jo
BSB, thanks for the help. Yes that wide opening is to the kitchen, and the staircase. I would like to brighten up the area more, as you can see its quite dark with the flooring as well, so I am thinking on keeping everything lightly coloured.
0 Likes   December 23, 2012 at 7:37AM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
Under the lights and you could easily have a chandelier to the space.
1 Like   December 23, 2012 at 7:41AM
deb jo
Pattigallardo, you just blew my mind with all those exterior ideas, i would never have thought on my own.
0 Likes   December 23, 2012 at 7:46AM
deb jo
A chandelier? could i really? I always thought it a awesome thing to have, but that this ceiling was too low for it to look good.
0 Likes   December 23, 2012 at 7:52AM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
I have put them in ceilings that are 7' 8" as long as the table is under it you will not have a problem.
1 Like   December 23, 2012 at 9:02AM
PRO
Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
By now you've probably had more input than you actually need but I couldn't resist since I recently worked in a space nearly identical to yours.
Screening the lower portion of the window wall with applied film are a sectioned low screen is a great idea. Centering the new table under the ceiling lights is practical. Also, reusing the current table as a side board makes lots of sense. For added light and some architectural interest, find a tall fixture like one of the floor lamps from Artimide or Estiluz. They have a small foot print and lots of presence.
1 Like   December 23, 2012 at 9:26AM
PRO
Designs by BSB
chandelier - absolutely! Now I would keep it light as to not block the view. Your style makes me think of George Kovacs ... http://www.lampsplus.com/products/george-kovacs-36-inch-wide-counter-weight-chandelier__12663.html
or if your budget allows.... http://www.lampsplus.com/products/james-r-moder-broadway-collection-crystal-bar-chandelier__25679.html
2 Likes   December 23, 2012 at 10:12AM
deb jo
Those are some cool chandeliers BSB thank you, and you are right they are very much my style. :)

I had this one in mind for the kitchen island, so should the dinning room one be the same? or match?

0 Likes   December 23, 2012 at 10:50AM
deb jo
Jeffrey your suggestions apart of brilliant - - Artimide and Estiluz - - are very welcome. Thanks :)
0 Likes   December 23, 2012 at 10:51AM
PRO
Designs by BSB
preferably .. not the same. Im not a matchy match kind of person though! Separate rooms.. let them each carry their own weight :)
1 Like   December 23, 2012 at 11:57AM
csmrtn
I must suggest painting the 2 end walls that flank that wall of windows in or about the color of the flooring to really create a feeling of drama. I might also suggest, as opposed to a chandelier you might consider 2 or three pendant fixtures to offset the "long and narrow" feeling of that space!
1 Like   December 23, 2012 at 12:33PM
PRO
Tres McKinney Design
'Float the table between the divider wall and the opposite glass door.
The idea of frosting the glass on the lower portion of the window or a low folding screen could work well to help with privacy.
I love your creamy taupe furniture and color scheme. It reminds me of beautiful contemporary homes you see in Belgium. You might consider whitewashed woven wood or grass weave roman shades that add texture and compliment the wicker chairs. The shades would give you filtered light and privacy during the day and then you could add simple linen floor to ceiling curtains on a ceiling track to draw across at night. A contemporary styled chandelier or run of pendants would provide good light over the dining table but be sure to put it on a dimmer so you can adjust for more intimate lighting or task lighting. You might also consider putting it on a separate switch from the recessed cans. Since you are so exposed then I recommend that window coverings are more of a priority than a chandelier if there are budget concerns. You might also consider a large natural sisal or hemp textured area rug or ivory wool shag rug in the living room. You do not necessarily need a rug in the dining room. The key to success in a monochromatic room is varying textures. I agree that if there is room with the new dining table that your existing table would make a good side board. You could had a single or pair of large scaled white washed turned wood or ceramic based lamps with linen shades.
1 Like   December 23, 2012 at 1:53PM
deb jo
Thank you a lot Tres for the throughout explanation. Another thing I thought this current table would be a bit too wide to serve as sideboard, no?
0 Likes   December 24, 2012 at 11:11AM
deb jo
Attached is the plan of the ground floor, so everybody can see the openings between dining/living room better. This house is a bit awkward because it is a dike house from 1890 and before renovation into a family home it was a bakery.
0 Likes   December 24, 2012 at 11:15AM
PRO
Tres McKinney Design
After seeing your floor plan I think you might be right that the existing table would be too big to use as a side board. If when you get the new longer dining table and it crowds the isle to the glass door to the hall you can place it the same way you currently have the existing table with one end against the room divider wall. Then hang a tall mirror or painting slightly narrower than the table on that wall over the end of the table. For larger groups you can pull the table out and add another chair at that end.
A round table with a lamp tucked into the corner by the stairs would look nice viewed from both the living room and dining room. I love how open and bright the space is. Where is the house located?
0 Likes   December 24, 2012 at 4:03PM
deb jo
Tres the house is in the Netherlands but I am not Dutch, otherwise I would be very gifted instead of clueless when it come to house decorating :) Living here I came to love the scandinavian/nordic style that is mostly white but you can do so much with it. They are very simple but every time I enter someone home I am blown away by its functionality and style.
0 Likes   December 25, 2012 at 6:46AM
deb jo
update.
1 Like   May 5, 2013 at 10:43AM
deb jo
I know my efforts weren't that earth shattering and i apologize lol, but i thought that was rude to not post anything, as i am still in the process of setting up house, i promisse that as soon as I have the room presentable I will post more photos.
0 Likes   May 5, 2013 at 10:52AM
PRO
Belman Living LLC
You can create more space by adding your dining table to one side. Also shifting and reordering of furniture from time to time will give you more creative ideas.
0 Likes   May 5, 2013 at 10:59AM
Nancy Travisinteriors
Center in rm.is it rectangle or round? If rectangle run long ways, so more people will have view outside.
0 Likes   May 5, 2013 at 1:54PM
Nancy Travisinteriors
No frosted glass.
0 Likes   May 5, 2013 at 1:56PM
Nancy Travisinteriors
This looks tropical. Go with it in your art. Where table is now add very large art work on wall with table in living rm add art. Add white panels to all windows. Add a bamboo shade to windows for privacy but keep fooled half way up doing dat shade can be a dark brn. Use a lot of palms in nice colorful pot in all rooms. Can you paint? If so a lite lime green would be fun paint all rooms the same. Add pillows in a tropical print to sofa & chair. A 8x10 sisal woven area rug in living area. Add big ottoman in zebra print in front of sofa. Poster type art in black frames on walls. What are dining room chairs? Same as pic? If so add black pillows or a tropical print pillows to seats. Put a narrow bambo shade on that small door in dining. Keep it dn. Put long wood bowl on table filled with fruit as center piece for dining table. Neat place you have.place candles on table for light. You need tall woven shade lamps in living rm.
0 Likes   May 5, 2013 at 2:08PM
Nancy Travisinteriors
Are you putting TV in this rm. on table? If not put a lamp there, with art or mirror. Tall.
0 Likes   May 5, 2013 at 2:10PM
Nancy Travisinteriors
If need more lite could put two floor lamps on each side of window.
0 Likes   May 5, 2013 at 2:11PM
Nancy Travisinteriors
Sorry didn't read all the comments for some reason house looked very island. But guess not.
1 Like   May 5, 2013 at 2:16PM
Nancy Travisinteriors
I like yer blinds but still put white panels on end to finish the look.
0 Likes   May 5, 2013 at 2:16PM
deb jo
Hi travisinteriors, the place isnt very tropical but we are :D thanks for all the great suggestions I will surely keep it in mind.
0 Likes   May 6, 2013 at 2:04AM
Ed
Hi Deb, Congrats on your new home! Sherwin-Williams SW 0045 Antiquarian Brown --
1 Like   May 6, 2013 at 3:11AM
Ed
Hi Deb, Sherwin-Williams SW 0072 Deep Maroon --
1 Like   May 6, 2013 at 3:13AM
Ed
Hi Deb, Sherwin-Williams SW 7715 Pottery Urn --
1 Like   May 6, 2013 at 3:16AM
Ed
Hi Deb, Sherwin-Williams SW 7535 Sandy Ridge --
1 Like   May 6, 2013 at 3:18AM
deb jo
Awesome Ed!!
0 Likes   May 7, 2013 at 1:00AM
Ed
Hi Deb -- you have a nice space -- very open feeling. :) Are you keeping the floor tiles ?
1 Like   May 7, 2013 at 1:07AM
momof5x
When I see the layout of the house, and what I think is the stairs entering into the dining area , that might cause some privacy concerns for the diners and for other people at home who look like they will be entering in and out from the back door area to go upstairs to their rooms?, I would probably used the room next to it for a dining room and add some screens near the open doorway for a little more privacy. You could use that area as a family sitting area... just curious, as to what the other room is with the door.. as can't read the language, sorry.
1 Like   May 7, 2013 at 1:18AM
deb jo
@ Ed, the floor tiles aren't really our style but we are keeping them for now as they are easy to clean and very well installed, just the color seems to be difficult sometimes.

@momo the layout is as follows: powder room>entryway^kitchen>DR>LR>Office - so you are suggesting i pull a switcheroo on the LR n DR?
0 Likes   May 7, 2013 at 1:34AM
joshhoy
I bought thses cute curtains from Cheery Curtains and I think they may match your doors quite well. http://www.cheerycurtains.com/qye122ab.html

Hope this will help :)
0 Likes   May 7, 2013 at 1:38AM
momof5x
@Deb Joshi Yes, I think it would be far better. You could have the dining area one side near the window and a coffee ( sitting area) on the other side. So when you have guests you can use it for coffee morning, dining or both at same time with the coffee table area serving as a Hors Devours areas too before main meal. Add some tall plants, and rugs, and a nice decorative screen ( or sliding doors which can be left open when you don't have guests) to add a bit more privacy.

I have this situation presently. I used a screen too. When it is opened it indicates to family guests are in the house and when I close it, it meant no guests were around.

Is there another entry into house? Just notice one door ( or two?) near kitchen only?
0 Likes   May 7, 2013 at 3:01AM
deb jo
Yes momo, There is a door in the kitchen and one front door where you see the jackets that is our main entry at all times. I really like your idea of switching but as we have the tv room just oposite what arrangements would i be able to do with the tv and so, on the other side of the wall?(game of thrones). Any suggestions?
0 Likes   May 7, 2013 at 3:32AM
Ed
Hi Deb -- easy to clean and well installed! :) I understand you are OK to keep the floor tiles for the time being. :)
0 Likes   May 7, 2013 at 3:36AM
momof5x
Do you have a pic of where the TV is, trying to see it in pics but can't?
0 Likes   May 7, 2013 at 7:15AM
brody1313
I would center the table in the room.......and I much prefer the look of the wicker chairs w/the table....good luck
0 Likes   May 7, 2013 at 7:34AM
momof5x
From what I can see, you should put the TV on the wall opposite where you planned originally to put the table, have seating area arranged facing the TV area , you can use the seating to divide that area into a room so it doesn't cross the line where the wall opens into next room. This could be a family room.

On the opposite side of wall there ( where red sofa is now) place a console table with a mirror which will go nicely with the red sofa and it will look nice when guests pass by to get into dining area. It will give some kind of focal point as an entry way. On the console table at either side put a lamp and in the center a bowl of fruit ( example). Place a rug just behind the seating that will act as a divider-leading into new dining area for example.

The other side (room), make a formal dining room and sitting area, it looks big enough for both. If you can close the wall there with sliding door, even better. The sliding door will keep you a choice to leave it open when you don't have guests.

Above the radiator area you can, place a large painting or a decorative clock. Some ideas below.

Chilliwack contemporary design by Jil Sonia Interiors

NYC Fashion PR Firm

Mirrored Console Table

Lively Living Room at Teton Pines ( extra idea to close room up a bit)

Living Room ( put sofa either side) one facing three windows in family room. the other dividing the room to make an entry point with console table into dining and formal living area)
0 Likes   May 7, 2013 at 7:57AM
deb jo
Hi everybody, after the suggestions and with the living arrangement i decided to flip the setup and put a beige couch on the window side (now red couch is in the living room) (photos soon to come as its not looking decente now :D) and the dinning table towards the rear of the room. Its not done yet only the setup sketch/visuals and seems like no big progress honestly but just some updates to appreciate all of you. Thanks
0 Likes   June 10, 2013 at 1:38AM
Ed
Hi Deb, thanks for the update! :)
0 Likes   June 10, 2013 at 3:45AM
More Discussions
Dilemmas without end.
Not exactly a design question, but is there a competition...
flopsycat1
Ideas for intergrating a hot tub with a Covana cover with a deck
Replace and expand deck and add a hot tub with a Covana...
rhonjam13
Bathroom lighting
I will have a 6' long counter with 2 sinks. There...
peggywells
Need a tie-breaker on this bathroom vanity
Any opinions? (excuse the horrible quick Photoshop...
R K
What is the forecast for kitchen cabinets?
I am building a new home. I will be making choices...
mzurad
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.