Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Ideas for refurnishing living room
chrisff60
December 23, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I decided to refurnish my living room as a gift for my parents' anniversary, but after a couple of purchases, I've run into a bit of a design/aesthetic brick wall.

The couch was darker than I wanted and coupled with the depressing wall color, the room feels very boring. The TV was cool and I'm looking for a TV stand to match it and make it look contemporary. I'm also looking for a kind of shag carpet to add a touch of modernity/style for which I also bought a really cool railway-style hanging clock.

What would you guys suggest to improve the look of the room? I was thinking of new coat of paint, curtains, carpet, and maybe even rearranging the furniture. Putting the TV on the opposite wall would give me more wall space but then the couch would be a squeeze. It's proving to be a hassle to match the stuff, especially with the existing wood fixtures that run the height of the room.

Any recommendations are appreciated.

PS. All the 'stuff' under the TV is going to go. And I tried posting before, so if you've already read this, my apologies.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
TanCalGal
This is what I'd do: remove curtains and have windows bare. Remove 3 hanging lights. Remove small rug. Remove chair & move love seat toward sofa (arms touching). Place chair on other side of sofa, across from love seat. Have only TV on wall. Place vase on new TV stand. Hang art + antlers lower & make an arrangement over sofa with art + antlers.

What does clock look like? Where are you going to hang it? Stop buying items without an overall plan. It seems like you need a coffee table or end table or lamps?

Perhaps a sisal rug with a faux animas skin over. Organized collecting

Here's a TV console idea Contemporary Living Room
0 Likes   December 23, 2012 at 1:21PM
decoenthusiaste
Just buy paintable chase for the tv cords and paint it to match the wall color when you paint. No need for a dinky stand. Center the large sofa on its wall and "L" the small one with it if possible. Follow judyg's plan and add a large area rug which has nice color and pattern. That is where I would find the color to pain the room.
0 Likes   December 23, 2012 at 1:56PM
pqtmouse
Furniture is a bit large for the room. Maybe an off-white, thick rug; add color with pillows .. maybe pick up on one of the pillow colors on the wall with paint .. agree that the curtains/header should be removed.
0 Likes   December 23, 2012 at 2:54PM
chrisff60
Thanks for the advice, guys. Oldjj, we hung the clock in a different part of the house, one with a longer passageway, because it looks better there. The three hanging lights are definitely gone, and over the sofa I was thinking of painting/clock instead of the stain-glass art - (http://sell.lulusoso.com/upload/20120302/Watercolor_painting_Frameless_painting_wall_clock.jpg) BTW, the TV console is exactly how I pictured it.

Deco and mouse, I agree that the sofa has to be centered and that it is a little large for the room :( The rug is a definite need. What I'm finding trouble with is finding a color for the walls what will go well with the existing wood near the windows. And I don't think the curtains can go because they provide a bit of privacy.
0 Likes   December 24, 2012 at 4:23AM
TanCalGal
The wood is beautiful. To me, the wood has an oriental-Japanese-inspired vibe. This wall's paint is nice, if your can match. Japanese Inspired Remodel in Noe Valley-Living Room

Here's a method of choosing wall paint: http://www.lindaholtinteriors.com/2011/07/testing-wall-color-101/

Can you keep just the curtain panels and remove the sheers? At a later time, a non-patterned curtain panel the color of wall.

I saw the art and I think it is OK, but not for this room. Perhaps in a bedroom?

I don't understand the theme you have going? Giraffes? Clocks? If you like clocks, remove the giraffes and buy something like a large round wrought iron "clock". Note also the rug, pillows & throw as inspiration for your room. Perhaps the TV console in a lighter tone wood like their end tables (your room = too much black). Modern livingroom
0 Likes   December 24, 2012 at 8:45AM
Dar Eckert
Too much and too big of furniture. You probably can't walk in there when the recliners are extended. Can you return the furniture? If not take out the largest sofa. Get a rug that is almost room-sized. Keep the sofa on it's current wall. Float the chair in the space to the right of the couch. Remove all the art and furnishings on the right side of the room and replace with a book case that has room for your tv & accessories. If you need more seating get a small chair for the window side of the room, maybe in light turquoise. Get one that turns.
0 Likes   December 24, 2012 at 10:18AM