powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Curtains... What length an type should I buy??
bmevans2004
December 23, 2012 in Design Dilemma
This is a picture of my sons room, but all bedrooms have the same window size. The previous owner had floor length curtains, which I thought made the room seem smaller. What type and length would be best for this window size?!? All 3 bedrooms have 2 windows this size. Thanks... This has me stressed!!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Dytecture
This would be one option for drapery if the bed is placed in front of the window.

0 Likes   December 23, 2012 at 9:42AM
wmpj
I was going to suggest curtains that go from the ceiling to the floor but you mentioned they make the room feel smaller. How about blinds or shades that are mounted to the outside of the window(s) and just cover the window frame? You could go with a fabric roman shade to soften the room.
0 Likes   December 23, 2012 at 9:42AM
Mary Hartman
Love the photo of the blinds with floor length curtains placed way off to the side. It doesn't make the room feel smaller but does make it look "complete" and cozy.
1 Like   December 23, 2012 at 9:43AM
bmevans2004
This is the same picture before we painted. The way all the windows are places in the rooms, you won't be able to place your bed below the window. Our old house we always used blinds, but no curtains so I have little knowledge in this area!! Thanks!
0 Likes   December 23, 2012 at 9:47AM
bmevans2004
I looked at the picture you suggested after I posted... I LOVE that look! But again, would that work if a bed wouldn't be placed under the window?
0 Likes   December 23, 2012 at 9:50AM
houssaon
You can always put short curtains, which are not common, but seem fresh to me: Queens Lane Compound and Teen Boy's Bedroom. Roman Blinds are a practical and stylish solution: Schwartz and Architecture. These black out roller blinds look good and block the sun for a late sleep: Master suite, Munnar Villa.
1 Like   December 23, 2012 at 9:51AM
PRO
Maison Pompeii Antiques and Interiors
I would use a roman shade mounted from the ceiling covering the entire width of the window
0 Likes   December 23, 2012 at 9:56AM
bmevans2004
I obviously need help...I didn't know short curtains weren't common, I just assumed curtains should only cover the window! I really like the blind/shade look now with the long curtains. Maybe the outdated flower draperies that were left, turned me off to the idea. I would like to be able to leave the curtains open most of the time, but shut/lower the blinds at night. Thanks for everyones suggestions!
0 Likes   December 23, 2012 at 9:58AM
bmevans2004
Another question would be, each window frame has 2 windows within it. Should I get 1 shade/blind to cover the entire window frame or 2 seperate for each window pane? They also have the crank to open them, so would that make a difference when looking or would I just lower the shade/blind down to the crank?
0 Likes   December 23, 2012 at 10:02AM
decoenthusiaste
Stationery panels at either end of the window, over the blind are quite acceptable. You can even mount them on a small rod designed to just hold there in place there. You don't necessarily have to install rods that span the entire window if you don't plan to open or close the drapery panels.
0 Likes   December 23, 2012 at 10:02AM
PRO
Maison Pompeii Antiques and Interiors
one shade per window so two per room
0 Likes   December 23, 2012 at 10:10AM
orangecamera
The curtains the previous owner had seem like overkill to me for a bedroom, with sheers and curtains. Also, they covered 1/2 the glass. That may be what made the room feel smaller to you. If you hang your curtains wider than the window, you can push them aside and not block the glass.

If you go with long curtains, keep in mind the heat vent in the floor under the window. You'll want to avoid having the heat go behind the curtain.

Depending on your climate and the orientation of the room, consider thermal and/or room-darkening curtains.
0 Likes   December 23, 2012 at 10:15AM
bmevans2004
Orangecamera - I think you just nailed it, after looking at current pictures online and looking at the picture I posted, I realized that even with the curtains opened it did cover 1/2 the window! In their defense...the house has been vacant since 1995 and was built in 1985! The couple was probably in their 70's and that was probably the style then! lol

I believe most the windows have vents under the windows, so what would you suggest doing to avoid the heat going behind the curtain? We live in Indiana and the winters can get VERY cold!
0 Likes   December 23, 2012 at 10:23AM
orangecamera
You can use a heat and air deflector (see example of one below - found it on homedepot.com).

If you find curtains you love that aren't thermal, you can buy thermal liners. Some Roman shades are thermal too, so I think you'll have a lot of choices.

If you've just moved in, you can get temporary paper shades (less than $10 each at box stores). They're available everywhere I've ever shopped for curtains (which seems like EVERYwhere!). The paper ones won't be thermal, but they'll at least give you privacy in the meantime. A salesperson at one showroom I visited told me she's had clients who used "temporary" paper shades for years before deciding what they wanted.
0 Likes   December 23, 2012 at 10:56AM