Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Help with Front Elevation!
jstephens72
December 23, 2012 in Design Dilemma
We are looking for ideas or sketches to help determine the best way to update the front elevation to this home. Ideally, we are focused on finding a design which will update and improve the curb appeal of this home without completely redesigning and moving walls (ie. would like to keep costs in check).

Some ideas we've considered is painting the brick, taking down the wrought iron fencing and brick column (to open up the front entryway), removing the tree, etc.

We'd love any thoughts/feedback/ideas you may have to improve the front elevation.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
TanCalGal
Need better photos. I would not paint brick. I'd paint garage door same as trim. The front door might look brighter painted as the trim, too.

I'd have the fenced in tree trimmed professionally. I cannot see this area well enough to make suggestions.

I'd probably keep the hedge, but lower it. Remove pot and white furniture.
December 23, 2012 at 5:52pm   
houssaon
I would not paint the brick. Have the tree thinned out and the yews pruned back. The lawn area in front of the railing could be turned into a garden. Otherwise, like the house and the colors.
December 23, 2012 at 6:12pm   
kitasei
The walk seems narrow, in the cheap as opposed to charming sense. It also seems to take a right angle turn and leads to to the driveway, right in front of the garage door wall. Determine the natural, attractive angle of approach that you want people to take (or have their eye take, if just passing by), and layout a path either straight or in a sweeping curve. Landscape it accordingly. The tree should be expertly pruned by someone who can remove enough interior branches to make the roofline of the house visible. This does not mean topping it! It means judicious thinning of branches.
December 23, 2012 at 6:54pm   
kitasei
I forgot to add that I think you should replace all of the white paint with a color close to the brick. It looks like there's a white sidewall of the garage?
December 23, 2012 at 6:56pm   
kitasei
That would include the fancy white iron bench as well - whose style is incongruous anyway.
December 23, 2012 at 6:57pm   
jstephens72
Thank you for the great feedback! We'll post better pics once we have them.
December 24, 2012 at 6:48am