Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
need ideas for decorating
saskia92
December 23, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Hi, i bought this dresser which I love, but i am not sure how to decorate the rest of the room so it looks classy rather than cheap. I am open to all ideas, not sure whether it should be a dresser in a bedroom or a buffet in the living area. please help.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jjandhk
Wow!! that is a wonderful piece of furniture! In your living room for sure! First, keep the walls and floor in the same colour family--it looks like gray right now--which is what I would like. Then, I can see a white leather sofa; a couple blue/white armchairs; a gold/glass coffee table; red pillows; and other red, white, glass, and gold accessories.
1 Like   December 23, 2012 at 5:12PM
jjandhk
....and a couple chair ideas:
0 Likes   December 23, 2012 at 5:13PM
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
It would make a splendid vanity in a powder room, with a vessel sink and walls covered in the navy and gold wallpaper shown below. Gold sconces would flank a round gold mirror that repeats the theme of the wallpaper. Jour & Nuit Wallpaper Antique Gold Round Calligraphy Wall Mirror
5 Likes   December 23, 2012 at 5:22PM
PRO
You could equally well do the same theme in a bedroom, papering the bed wall and painting the other walls to match the wallpaper background.
1 Like   December 23, 2012 at 5:24PM
jjandhk
smashing bathroom idea!
1 Like   December 23, 2012 at 5:56PM
PRO
A Kitchen That Works LLC
it could also be fun in a bathroom converted to a vanity.
0 Likes   December 23, 2012 at 6:01PM
PRO
Maison Pompeii Antiques and Interiors
The vanity idea is good. Also if you paid alot for it you might not want to alter it for a vanity. Use it in your living room and make it a focal point. Purchase a clean lined sofa in a solid color, preferable the blue. An antique or semi antique Oriental rug with reds and blues along with other colors will pull it all together. The key to not making it look like a red white and blue flag room is to choose one color as the primary color(blue) and then one other color( white) as the secondary color. Accent colors could be a touch of red or bring in a new color like yellow or green, especially in the art work. The art work may actually be what will make or break the room so it does not look like a set or a window for Ralph Lauren. A yellow/ mustard wall color also is a good idea. This piece is bold and so are you for buying it. Continue to be bold and dont start being shy now. Go For it. I would love to see pictures as you progress.
0 Likes   December 24, 2012 at 7:54AM
apple_pie_order
Wonderful piece. Living room would be a good location. Do you want to go with simple lines for new furniture or something more ornate? Any particular styles appeal?
0 Likes   December 24, 2012 at 8:13AM
PRO
You could use it in your living room if you do a classic blue and white room. In the photo below, the chest would look great under the big bird picture behind the white sofa. The only other red I'd add would be one red pillow.
1 Like   December 24, 2012 at 8:21AM
dcer
What a great dresser! I love Carolyn's suggestions, as usual:) I think that wherever you put it, just balance it out with golds, blues, greys, and whites.Happy Holidays!
1 Like   December 24, 2012 at 8:28AM
pcmom1
How fun! Best add some framed pics of royalty to the walls. Don't see a thing wrong with making people smile...
1 Like   December 24, 2012 at 8:39AM
Nancy Hehmann
If you have a daughter, you could dress her up in formal wear with a tiara - she could be the Royalty or if not dress up a pet or yourself. I think it is a great piece of furniture.
0 Likes   December 24, 2012 at 9:33AM
1 Like   December 24, 2012 at 5:12PM
PRO
Long live the Queen!
0 Likes   December 24, 2012 at 5:56PM