Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Bathroom design
Rebecca MacAndrew
December 23, 2012 in Design Dilemma
i knew there would be something i would miss in our reno, i have installed pedestal sink in small upper bathroom and because you walk in on the side of the sink, you see all ugly pipes, any suggestions, i still need to do some painting on beadboard, install mirror, adjust sconces(contractor put upside down) and do builtins behind the tub area, any sugggestions to improve is appreciated, so far this is the only space i am a little less than impressed with. thanks, by the way, last pic is a before
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
housemamma
You could replace the black pvc pipe with white pvc.
December 23, 2012 at 5:38pm   
PRO
A Kitchen That Works LLC
You could apply a plastic primer and paint the ABS white. You could hang a dbl towel bar (http://www.libertyhardware.com/search/detail/?searchType=&ID=75224-CZ&FIN=CZ) , to the left of the sink, with a larger than average projection so that the towel somewhat obscures the piping issue.
December 23, 2012 at 5:57pm     
Rebecca MacAndrew
thanks,i'll probably start off by painting pipe as suggested.i thought of the towel rack idea and tall chrome garbage but space there is only about 17" wide. i suppose i could cut the towel bar to fit
December 23, 2012 at 6:51pm   
PRO
Metro Interiors
i would add a simple damask print to the walls giving the room a totally different feel. allowing for pops of blue and other colors
December 23, 2012 at 7:16pm   
annoulaxeni
Hang a pivoting towel bar (Google for it if you're uncertain to what I'm referring).
December 23, 2012 at 7:32pm     
annoulaxeni
Alternatively, a free-standing towel rack (again, pivot arm) if by any chance you don't want to drill the tiles.
December 23, 2012 at 7:34pm     
Rebecca MacAndrew
thanks, a pivoting towel bar sounds very interesting
December 26, 2012 at 2:08pm   
PRO
Linda
Paint the pipe with a metallic paint, like a brushed nickel finish or replace it with a chrome pipe. We have a radiator under our kitchen sink so we needed to leave the space open for optimum heat output. We redid it with chrome drain piping and it looks OK open to the world.
December 26, 2012 at 2:18pm     
gglidden
Change the door to open from the other side. Hmmm.
December 26, 2012 at 2:21pm   
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
The plumber could have done that all in chrome. The supply pipes too could be instead of the easy hose type. It is harder to do but they did it 100 years ago so we can do it now.
December 26, 2012 at 2:24pm     
gingerclaire
I just got my plumber to redo the very visible plastic plumbing he installed in my basin. The water supply on yours is fine, you just need a new chrome waste and it will look quite alright.
December 26, 2012 at 3:03pm   
Jayme H.
I agree it could look fine if it were all stainless appearing!
December 26, 2012 at 3:32pm   
PRO
RNW Construction
For fun let's think outside the box and say that we want to avoid seeing the attached plumbing altogether. Simply go to a Home Depot (or equal home supply store) and find two white shutters (which they stock) in the height close to the height to the underside of your pedestal lavy. You can attach them together top and bottom with simple clips. You can use a couple of "L" angles at the bottom to attach them to the floor or have them angled (like a "V") loosely so you can easily move them for cleaning. Including a 30 minute drive to the store, this can be done in less than two hours. How your plumbing is completely hidden from view.
December 26, 2012 at 3:39pm