powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Help me pick tree for living room corner.
Adam Craig
December 23, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
TanCalGal
I like "real" plants but #2 is my fav. Be sure to place it in a substantial basket with dried moss on top so it looks more real
December 23, 2012 at 8:16pm     
designideas4me
When I read this I thought you wanted us to help pick out your Christmas tree...lol

oh are these fake trees? yeah I have to agree I always buy real plants too. I plan to get a palm tree for the living room soon. Dont know where you live but maybe go with a tree that is found naturally outside in your area... I mean even if its fake it will keep with the real theme.
December 23, 2012 at 8:23pm   
designideas4me
Wait... why are you replacing the real tree?
December 23, 2012 at 8:23pm   
Adam Craig
This is near a heater vent that runs often during the winter so I experience browning. I have real plants throughout the house but I am going artificial for this corner.
December 23, 2012 at 8:25pm   
designideas4me
Ok in that case.. maybe the cane palm.... maybe think of what height and width you want it to be.. and choose accordingly.
December 23, 2012 at 8:28pm   
PRO
Jerri Holan & Associates, AIA
Personally, I think real plants are more appealing. But if a fake tree is necessary, I would go with a species that harmonizes with the brick fireplace a bit more, something like a Japanese Maple or Miniature Oak. Bamboos and palms remind me of the tropics but the bricks remind me of northern climes.
December 23, 2012 at 8:28pm     
dcer
I like that Japanese maple silk tree, it looks pretty realistic. Definitely put it in a nice basket/planter and put dried moss and rocks on top. Happy Holidays!
December 24, 2012 at 8:25am   
pcmom1
Ok, also much prefer real, but understand about the vent. As mentioned: put whatever you have into a container that looks like it would hold up a large, real plant. Most fakes come to you in these teeny tiny containers! So, buy a great looking large ceramic or basket and top off with moss.

You could add a real trailing ivy to the pot to increase the "realness". Cheap and easy to change out.
December 24, 2012 at 8:45am   
decoenthusiaste
I'm gonna start the conversation about built-ins on either side of your FP, although I can't see the entire room. They would be a great option for filling the corners, would be practical, useful and won't need to be watered or replaced when they die. I bet we could find a better spot for the tree too if we had photos of the rest of the space.
December 24, 2012 at 5:18pm     
PRO
Metro Interiors
The plant dosent bother me as much as the couch does. It totally seperates what is ment to be a shared room. Try adding a long table(abouth the height of the couch) behind it and move the couch back some to make it look more inviting
December 24, 2012 at 9:01pm