Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Small kitchen/dinning area
golfer123
December 23, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Dilemma is my small kitchen and trying to have a nice holiday sit down dinner for 8. Here is a picture of the table space in the corner is a little corner cabinet, then the kitchen part (just to give you an idea of the space. Need a bigger house but that is not do-able right now.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
golfer123
added to above picture to the right of the table is a half wall with a corner cabinet there, then it goes into the living room area.
December 23, 2012 at 8:25pm   
minemine
Are you planning on using a larger table? The one in the picture does not appear to be large enough to seat 8 people.
December 23, 2012 at 8:47pm   
homegrown4
You could do a large round banquet table seats 8or mix it up and do 2 tables of four

I like the large round, they can be rented for tester
December 23, 2012 at 9:28pm     
PRO
Anish Motwani Associates
hello

go Indian style - just remove the dinning table and the chairs
have small cushions (size 30 inches x 30inches) and keep a centre table in between

easily u can have 8-10 people sitting on the floor with cushions to comfort them. It will be unusual and different experience

U can check out the pics online - even in Japan people have dinners on floors

regards
December 23, 2012 at 10:17pm   
charleee
If your table doesn't have leaves to expand it, I would rent a long table, with chairs, and just cover it with a holiday tablecloth. You can use the table you have to serve as a buffet to hold the food.

One thing I would do for sure is remove the clock, it is oversized and is overpowering the lamp and table. Is there another home for it, maybe?
December 24, 2012 at 3:26am     
hollybaumgartner
Have a piece of plywood cut at Home Depot or similar type store! I don't know the dimensions of your table, but a bigger piece to lay over your table would accommodate more diners. Put down something to protect the table top, layer batting over the plywood, nice tablecloth n top and you are good to go. Store plywood under a bed for next time;-)
December 24, 2012 at 6:16am     
nmdca
holly - i would worry the added tabletop would tip if somebody plopped their elbows at one end of the table - any suggestions out there to stabilize the additional top? i like the idea of adding the plywood.
December 24, 2012 at 6:38am   
nikir
I just ordered and received table pads that allowed me to extend my similar sized table for 6 (with the leaf) 9 inches on all sides. It was less than $300 much less expensive than a new table and easy to use and store. Very sturdy and well made. The pads came with a leaf so I can use without the leaf (table & extender) and seat 8 or with them to seat 10-12.
December 24, 2012 at 7:14am   
Dar Eckert
If you are still short of space just put a card table beside your regular table and add a large tablecloth or have two people sit at the counter or squeeze them on to the table. Nobody cares if its not perfect. Its the company that counts.
December 24, 2012 at 7:19am     
patriciarhall
we saw this post weeks ago and advised on replacement table, etc. any progress?
December 24, 2012 at 7:43am   
golfer123
No I am still baffled tried turning the table but that didn't work either. At some point we are going to cut down that half wall that sticks out and that will help, but having Christmas at our house and last minute hoping to come up with something. Will just have to live with it until after the holidays.
Thanks for all your help!
December 24, 2012 at 8:33am     
hollybaumgartner
Not to worry about added plywood "tipping". I'm only thinking adding 6" to each side. It isn't much, but definitely allows more seating! I actually have the a similar problem in my dining room - and do what Dar Eckert suggested - plop a card table butt up to it and use the same tablecloths for each (same pattern, different size)
December 24, 2012 at 12:58pm   
sofaspud
A round table is more accommodating. Add a cut round piece of plywood just a few inches bigger than the table you have (protecting the table and covering the plywood as holly said). If your space is too small, why not move the whole thing to the living room? You could just swap the sofa or whatever other furniture to make space. I have done that many times. Keeps the entertaining area away from the food prep area.
December 24, 2012 at 3:43pm   
decoenthusiaste
I too thought we solved this before. Try the two banquettes at each end (4 people) and two chairs on each side (4 people) for a total of 8. Serve buffet style from the bar and use small paper plates to take less space on the table. If you pass around enough wine, no one will care if it is crowded! P.S.the closk is bigger than the chair seats - not in tune with the remainder of your decor either.
December 24, 2012 at 3:46pm     
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
You could also put the two banquettes together on one side do the rent a table or plywood idea. You can rent the rest of the chairs you need or pick up some cheap ones you can use again.
December 24, 2012 at 3:51pm   
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
@decoenthusiaste your idea is great with a square table. So why doesn't they just do it.
December 24, 2012 at 3:53pm   
decoenthusiaste
No idea - don't think they ever tried it. I think I suggested building a banquette under the three windows and wrapping it to the large window with an expandable table. Guess is was not in the budget or no one is handy!
December 24, 2012 at 4:00pm     
golfer123
I thank you all for your input I finally got it figured out and was able to seat 8 people by putting the banquettes on each end 2 people on each end and 3 people on each side of the table it did work! It was cozy but it worked.
Thank you again,
Marie
December 25, 2012 at 10:33pm     
golfer123
I moved the large clock as I now can see it doesn't work on the wall
I had it on with little table underneath it.
December 25, 2012 at 10:35pm