Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Long windowless living room wall
mpspon
December 24, 2012 in Design Dilemma
We have the middle of 3 attached condos and the living room and signing room have one long wall. It is the wall on the left.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Nancy Hehmann
And your question is?? I also do not know what a signing room is.
December 24, 2012 at 8:47am   
decoenthusiaste
Think they meant dining room. Not sure what the question is though.
December 24, 2012 at 8:50am     
Mary Spon
Oops! The question is, how do I break it up and how do I use furniture placement to create flow. See where the fireplace is located? Right next to the Master Bedroom door! Yikes!
December 24, 2012 at 8:59am   
PRO
Tres McKinney Design
I have often been given this design delima and can offer a few solutions but first I have a couple of questions. Is there another way to enter the masterbedroom? Could you wall off that door and create one off another hall? What is the room to the right in your photo image? From my understanding from your discription is that the living room extends into the dining area. Is that correct? Is your furniture style contemporary or traditional?
Meanwhile while I am waiting for your answers I have a couple of comments. First of all don't worry yourself with trying to make the fireplace a focal point of the seating arrangement.
I would place a sofa on the long wall with a table lamp and chair on each end and with a coffee table or ottoman and large area rug to create a comfortable conversation area. On the opposite wall I would place a long library table or hutch with a pair of wing back chairs or semi upholstered chairs. If there is a TV in this room then I would mount a flat screen Tv on the wall over the table like a picture and surround it with a collection of prints. The table could house stacks of large books, a large scaled lamp to the side of the TV. A globe or collection of ceramics could balance the lamp. I do not recommend a tall wall unit as it will make the fireplace wall look like it is even more crunched up against the side wall. Instead if the TV is mounted on the wall above a table or lower cabinet you can see through to the fireplace. The room's width requires two seating areas. I would put a long ottoman in front of the fireplace.
Now to deal with the long common wall of the living and dining room. I had a similarly challenging room and we placed a very large framed mirror hung horizontally over the sofa which had the affect of mimicing a window. Then further towards the dining area we hung a very large scaled, tall framed French poster.
In the dining area I designed a tall backed upholstered banquette for one side of a table paired with semi upholstered chairs. The wall was broken up with the mirror, framed poster and high backed banquette. I hung a large scaled chandeleir over the table and the table lamps at each end of the sofa were large scaled. This scheme can work with any decorating style whether you prefer contemporary or traditional furnishings. If a banquette does not appeal to you in the dining area then I might suggest a large collection of framed prints tightly grouped together. What ever you do keep in mind that all the wall art and mirror should be large scaled or if a grouping of pieces make a statement. Anything small will be lost on the wall. You can see this project on my Houzz site titled Town House redux.
Once we hear back from you about your decorating style I will make recommendations about the fireplace wall.
December 24, 2012 at 10:30am   
Mary Spon
No other entry to Master Bedroom. Only other possible egress would be through the bedroom's walk-in closet. The room to the right is a den. It has pocket doors and on the other side is a door to the second bath. There's a shower over tub to the left - the wall that goes into the MBR. perhaps the walk-in closet is what abuts that bathroom :(. The living room space is on the far side and the dining room is the near side. My style is French Country/Traditional.

Thank you so much!
December 24, 2012 at 10:51am   
decoenthusiaste
Lucky you, to have a wonderful background color for French style! Make the FP corner useful with a bench which could be more typically French and would, along with a chaise, make the FP corner a great reading nook.
Living Room 4
Federal Farmstead
romantic home
Living room
Debra Campbell Design
Residence
December 24, 2012 at 11:15am     
Mary Spon
Perfect! Thank you!
December 24, 2012 at 11:41am   
decoenthusiaste
Glad to help!
December 24, 2012 at 11:43am   
PRO
CASTLE Design Studio LLC
Merry, Merry, Mary, hope you're having a fun Holiday. I played around a little with your dining/living room and came up with an option to place all furniture off the centerline (the quick plan shows this). Perhaps a yellow, grey, black and white color scheme? The quick elevation shows the dining table, side table, living area in background. Also, be sure to decorate your porch in a matching or complementary way. Just a thought. Happy, Happy, Diane
December 24, 2012 at 2:08pm   
Mary Spon
Thank you, Diane! Is that a console behind the sofa? I'd bee considering something like that to create the division between LR and DR. Merry Christmas or YOU!!
December 24, 2012 at 2:31pm   
PRO
CASTLE Design Studio LLC
You are exactly right, a console for a little visual separation plus storage plus buffet space. Another thought is that if you're not big on formal dining, you could have low-backed chairs that tuck under the table and place a gorgeous table cloth over it all. Merry Christmas, Diane
December 24, 2012 at 2:51pm   
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
@decoenthusiaste those are nice ideas.
December 24, 2012 at 3:38pm   
PRO
@INSIDEOUT Modern and Traditional great "quick sketch" that would have taken me days to do.
December 24, 2012 at 3:40pm   
PRO
CASTLE Design Studio LLC
Interiors International, you are so kind. I just checked out your pro site and wow...you do awesome work! Best Wishes from the West Coast, Diane
December 24, 2012 at 4:54pm     
PRO
@INSIDEOUT Modern and Traditional Thank you.
December 24, 2012 at 7:40pm   
Kristi Dodson_Skinkis
Thank You for posting this problem!! My condo has a similar layout. Our living room / dining room is 12x22. With, no windows just a patio door. The kitchen is in the middle of one of the long walls. We have been struggling with where the heck do we put the furniture and how do we get light into the room.
December 24, 2012 at 8:45pm   
PRO
CASTLE Design Studio LLC
Merry Christmas! I'm goofing off doing a favorite thing: solving design puzzles. So Kristi, I imagined your space with a modern approach. A sectional, square dining table, ghost chairs; still yellow, white, grey and black scheme with chrome accents. Regarding your request for light, one solution is to have straight panels of drapes on grommets as high above and as wide adjacent to the patio doors (not covering the doors). Best Wishes, Diane
December 25, 2012 at 1:20pm