powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
How can I make my home look contemporary?
Tim Powers
December 24, 2012 in Design Dilemma
When I upgrade the windows I will eliminate the pane sections, which should give it contemporary feel. I'm mostly concerned with the approximate 400 square feet of siding. Don't think there is much that can be done with the brick, but I'm open to all ideas. Thank You!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
December 24, 2012 at 11:36am     
judianna20
I like this one which decoenthusiaste posted. Make sure you look at the interior shots.

December 24, 2012 at 11:38am     
claudiann
Change the window treatment in the large window to something more contemporary like roman shades. Did you plant the tree there? It seems close to the house and kind of soft. I think you could do something more interesting and modern with the landscaping. I don't really understand the scattering of stones, small terracing, and large planting bed with nothing in it. Could you terrace the slope and put a hard scape it at the top to put an interesting piece of sculpture or art? How about putting a more modern door in an interesting color? We just put in a pella door that is basically all glass with the blinds on the inside of the glass. Ours is red. And add an interesting light fixture next to the door. Also how about some metal house numbers longways by the front door?
December 27, 2012 at 2:35pm     
tawanda6329
I would remove the large planter bed with grass. Maybe, leave a circle area around the tree for small plants in the summer. Replace big window with an updated style. Add couple small plants closer to the house.
December 27, 2012 at 7:59pm   
Harrut
Hi, you have a great looking house to start with. The picture suggestions already posted look fabulous in my opinion.
I'd be inclined to look at the garden once you have re rendered the exterior with wood ( assuming you like those ideas posted!) as I think the key to bring this house together is foliage and flowers.
Good luck!
December 28, 2012 at 12:26am     
Harrut
Ps... How about just painting the brick, in London, England we are a bit paint mad....!!! Houses transform with a cost of fresh paint!
December 28, 2012 at 12:30am     
Tim Powers
I have given that some thought, but the only thing about painting brick is that you can't undo it easly if you do not like the job.
December 28, 2012 at 12:19pm   
More Discussions
Your biggest layout pet peeve?
We've all got them. What's your biggest pet peeve...
Fireplace Frustration
Hi! Looking for suggestions on what to do with this...
Has anyone tried installing this or something similar?
Seems like a great way to hide a TV, just wondering...
Advice on turquoise paint for bedroom wall
My daughter (an older teen) wants to paint one wall...
Home sick in Louisiana
All I see is brown stain - I have many questions re:...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.