Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Dining room
sondramartina
December 24, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I am continuing to hunt for dining set.Originaly I was gonna modify existing one but I realized I had it for 17 years and it is time to move on. I decided to go with Parson chairs, all fabric.Here is what I like. Should I match wood color with my floors and entertainment unit or not?I am afraid it would be too much of walnut/chestnut. I know I keep asking about this room but I don't want to make mistake.These sets are around 4000.I can pick any fabric and wood color I want .
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
decoenthusiaste
Your own room didn't post in an enlarging format - can you try again so it blows up to a viewable size.
0 Likes   December 24, 2012 at 11:42AM
sondramartina
I hope these are better
0 Likes   December 24, 2012 at 11:56AM
PRO
A Kitchen That Works LLC
I would recommend that you not try and match the table with the floors or the entertainment center. This will allow the dining area it's own "look and feel", visually differentiating it from adjoining spaces. One thing you might consider doing is matching the wood species or at the very least choose a species with a similar grain so you don't have a lot of competing textures.
1 Like   December 24, 2012 at 12:16PM
decoenthusiaste
I like pic #3 and you could use the pop of red to liven up the space.
0 Likes   December 24, 2012 at 12:42PM
dcer
I wouldn't match. Also, I like options 1# and 3# but not 2#. Happy Holidays!
0 Likes   December 24, 2012 at 2:23PM
designideas4me
I love option 1. I want it. the whole room is great in that picture. I would definitely hang your tv on the wall and get rid of that entertainment unit. Your other stuff looks pretty modern and you will be amazed how much more open and light and modern the room will feel once you remove that heavy older looking large piece. That combined with option 1 will look amazing. Obviously option 2 has the same finish as your coffee table but it looks more casual to me.
0 Likes   December 24, 2012 at 3:39PM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
Please do not match to the things you listed. Let the table stand on it's own. Everything getting to matchy looks bad. You could do a color I had a Chinese Cinnabar colored table that I loved. Red, White and Black always look good too.
0 Likes   December 24, 2012 at 3:46PM
ashtonchic
I love set #1 and agree on getting rid of the entertainment unit. Beautiful set - where did you find it?
0 Likes   December 24, 2012 at 4:35PM
sondramartina
I wish I could convince my husband to get rid of it,but it was pretty expensive . It worked with our previous sofas.I might try to sell it but it is hard.
@gseattle Dining set shown is Canadian made not sure of manufacturer name .I did not buy it yet ,it is kind of expensive .I will check in different stores, maybe they can give me better price.
0 Likes   December 24, 2012 at 5:30PM
houssaon
I, too, like three the best followed by one and do not like two.
0 Likes   December 24, 2012 at 5:33PM
ashtonchic
Check out Room and Board. We just got a new store here in Seattle and I went to check the quality.. It seems very good and they can do tables by the inch which is what I want to do. They have Parsons tables with metal legs which are very nice. Check them online.
0 Likes   December 24, 2012 at 6:07PM
PRO
Metro Interiors
I like #1. But i would remove the entertainment center and add a buffet/side table(nothing too large). Defetily wouldnt put a tv in the dining room. Tvs in dining rooms are so wrong
1 Like   December 24, 2012 at 8:55PM
sondramartina
@ Metro interiors. Tv is not in the dining room,it is in livingroom. Living-Dining are L-Shaped.
1 Like   December 24, 2012 at 9:04PM
PRO
FurnitureNYC
You were right when you asked for advice. Still, you have your own taste, so choose a dining set that you like. Look here http://www.furniturenyc.net/dining-sets.html
0 Likes   December 25, 2012 at 3:11AM
PRO
Maison Pompeii Antiques and Interiors
I really like set number one. Set number two is very limiting and trendy. If set number one comes in a round version I would get that. Round tables are great because the whole table can share a conversation. Oval and long rectangular tables end up with many little conversations going on. We have a round table that goes from 8 to 12 in the round and love it. I try to specify a round table for all my clients when they fit in the room. It is hard to add seats at the square table. One way to save money is to buy the upholstered parsons chairs at a discount type place and spend the money on the table and buffet. Yes the TV piece is the elephant in the room. Just work around it for now and get what you want for the dining room. The entertainment center will eventually move on. At our new house we brought with us a fabulous large 18th C. armoire which holds our TV. It really needs to go and will do so eventually when I get to doing the room it is in over. In the mean time I am buying the things that I like for the room regardless of the armoire. Whatever you do try to buy furniture that is timeless so that you wont have the same problem you are having with the entertainment center.
2 Likes   December 25, 2012 at 4:13AM
PRO
Metro Interiors
Ya. I have had terrible experience with tvs so...
1 Like   December 27, 2012 at 6:45PM
sondramartina
I just realized that my cat would destroy Parson chairs,she likes to scratch back of the fabric chairs :(
Would this look ok? I've found it on Craigslist. Any other suggestions?
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 8:33PM
More Discussions
making kitchen wall shelving
hi, we've been seeing these types of kitchen shelving...
Need advice for our family room / kitchen
Hello! I want to "fix" our family room. We have...
Need Help For my Bedroom
I want help in choosing a color for my bedroom walls...
Need advice for our family room / kitchen
Hello! I want to "fix" our family room. We have...
At a loss...what color tile would look best with this vanity?
I just purchased this vanity. It's white with a brown...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.