Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Please critique future floorplan
ruzna
December 24, 2012 in Design Dilemma
We are planning on this layout however at its existing 3000 sq ft I feel it might be a bit too large. My focal point is the kitchen and want to make sure it is truly functional. I do not like the idea of an island cooktop so that will be changed. Any overall suggestions of moving, minimizing, changing would be greatly appreciated to make flow better.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
decoenthusiaste
How many will occupy the home? I see stairs to a basement - is that going to be built or not? Do you need bedroom #3 for in-laws or a maid/housekeeper? It seems quite out of the way. Is there an avid hobbyist in the family who will make having the hobby room worthwhile? Would the space for #3's WIC be sufficient for the hobby room? If you eliminate #3, hobby and the stairs and hall between them and hobby, you could tuck the garage further into that new found space and turn the garage doors to the other side so they'll be out of site from street or entry. Storage and shop and WIC (or new hobby) area would transfer to the other side. Rework the bath for bedroom #3 into a 1/2 bath and mud room, incorporating the additional few feet of space from the hall and end of #3. That would give you at least 300 sf less in the house proper, plus a smaller footprint. Also, since the kitchen is your prime space, you should be able to extend the wall opposite the FP to the same width of the FP wall and gain a bit more cabinet space in the kitchen. I might want a door out of the sunroom/kitchen area placed there at the end of the sink and dishwasher cabinets. Would then move the door onto the porch from the living room. Assuming these to be French style windows, I would allow the central one to be the door. If you can arrange for six, then the center two could be French doors onto the porch. I would plan for a banquette breakfast area on the sunroom/porch wall.
Huntington Beach
-Lake Road Dinette
Breakfast Area
1960's Lake Oswego Home
December 24, 2012 at 12:41pm   
PRO
A Kitchen That Works LLC
It would e helpful to know a few more things about the location/house such as how many full and part time occupants do you anticipate will live in this house, which way is north, where is the street access and how high high are the ceilings expected to be. At first blush, I would recommend you reduce the size of the house overall. Bedroom three is really big. Do you do corporate entertaining, if not consider deleting the dining room. Consider the distance from the garage to the kitchen with respect to carrying in a bag of groceries and/or a sleeping child. The toilet in the master bathroom is really far from the potential location of the master bed, potentially making graceful aging in place challenging. If the island cooktop idea does not thrill you, move the cooking surface to the wall marked with the refrigerator and move the refrigerator and oven to the wall common to the living room.
December 24, 2012 at 12:42pm   
ruzna
I should have been more specific- my apologies....family of 4 with teenage kids, entertain a lot therefore would like to keep the DR, full basement but not developed (yet!). The hobby room will probably be turned into a mudroom. Bedroom #3 we need for future inlaw suite however I would like to downsize it a bit. The pantry will be extended up until the "hobby" room. We were thinking of placing an toilet and sink (for our outdoor working male members) where the BR 3 WIC is and having a traditional closet in bedroom instead. I like your ideas about the master bathroom toilet being a bit far and reworking it so its closer. How do you feel about the size of MBR- i feel that since we only sleep there it is a bit large and unecessary. I was thinking of doing to longer windows in the mbr wider apart and placing bed between. Call me picky but i hate how they place the vents at the base of the windows and then nightstands cover them up. Maybe really spread the windows apart so nightstands clear the vents? Also the wic is quite large eliminating the need for multiple pieces of furniture for clothes storage. I was thkg of putting the door to the porch coming off the sunroom and minimizing some of the windows. This house will have sun in the rear all afternoon. Kitchen wise... would you go with cooktop and dbl wall ovens or just slide in? Was thkg to eliminate the bar in kitchen and push it out a bit more into the sunroom and use sunroom as dinette...??? ideas?? ugh and finally my husband wants to know how you all feel about urinals.... i would like to see it in the garage bathroom but if he insists on having it in ensuite... placing it opposite toilet and hidden by door??? thanx everyone..... Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
December 24, 2012 at 1:34pm     
PRO
A Kitchen That Works LLC
Floor plan makes more sense now. Yes, master bedroom is oversized. If bedroom 3 may accommodate grandparents then make sure this is room for a chair (at the very least), maybe a desk and a queen sized bed.
Does your husband work from home? If so, then urinal is justified, prefer to see it in another bathroom though.
I prefer cooktops with ovens separate to reduce congestion, place ovens at more ergonomic height, etc. if you want to keep things together, consider the Thermador Pro Steam Range. Keeps the bar in the kitchen if you want to keep communications open with your kids, keep bar top at 36" in case grandma and grandpa are in residence.
December 24, 2012 at 1:43pm   
PRO
Dytecture
The size of the Master Bedroom seems proportional given the size of the house. Other changes you have are typical once you have found 'the' plan.

My concern would be the challenge of furniture placement of the Living Room as there is potential for circulation on all walls, making the actual size of the living room much smaller than it is on the floor plan.
December 24, 2012 at 1:46pm     
decoenthusiaste
If you can have the furniture placement drawn into the plans you can move the vents. Once the builder puts them in they will charge you to move them, but they are not always "set in stone."
If you're minimizing windows in the living room, consider an extra large pair of french doors, perhaps with one of the fixed in place.
December 24, 2012 at 1:53pm     
teeooh
I think you should consider changing the fullbath near the kitchen to a 1/2 bath- and use the space fo a closet. I would then make what is now the closet for BR3 a 3/4 bath (being sure to insulate against the cold garage.
I think it is generally awkward for guests to use a full bath that is being used regularly as a real full bath. You have issues with privacy and mess.

I also think you need a door from the MBth directly to the Master BR.

I think a mudroom instead of hobby makes more sense - plan it that way and you can build in nice storage at the same time.

I wouldn't bother with the sink in the toilet area of the Master Bath
December 24, 2012 at 2:32pm     
orangecamera
Since Bedroom 3 will eventually be used for grandparents, please consider installing a barrier-free shower instead of a tub. Look here on houzz for "barrier free bathroom" and "wet room" for some very nice examples. Grandparents, and anyone with a leg injury will be very happy to have the shower available. It's also great for washing the dog.
December 24, 2012 at 3:01pm     
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
You talked about the "vents" I assume these are HVAC. I build in many different states and I found that in FL. they put the vents in the ceiling. I am currently building a new lake home for myself in MN. I insisted that all vents where put in the ceilings. I had to fight a bit with the guy but I have more experience building the he. After it was in he saw that it makes sense. I don't have dirt collecting in them and I never step on them which I always hated. This is an easy fix before you start building and everybody that see's it likes it. My sister-in law built a 8000sq ft house and did the same and it has worked great for years. You might consider this idea.
December 24, 2012 at 3:19pm     
bernie_a
It's chaos. Please read up on how to zone a home: public, private, semiprivate. In your plans the functions are all jumbled, and the living room is the main hallway! Thats not going to be nice. Suggest spending 1% just to have an architect sketch a concept for you to bring order and joy to your home. Then hire someone cheaper to draft up the construction docs.
December 26, 2012 at 12:54pm   
victorianbungalowranch
So many little jogs and such will increase the construction expenses and can look disorganized from the outside. An elevation would help.
December 26, 2012 at 1:14pm   
architectrunnerguy
Don't stop designing at the exterior walls, stop designing at the property line. Someone before asked for examples a while back and I posted some to an idea book.
December 26, 2012 at 2:11pm