Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Furniture Arrangement in L-shaped living/Dining room
fadeljaber
December 24, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I need help in arranging furniture in a L-shaped living/Dining room.
If I am to include a fireplace, where it should be installed?

Any Ideas?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
TanCalGal
I like an indoor/outdoor fireplace that could be used on the patio as well as the living room:
3 Likes   December 24, 2012 at 1:29PM
PRO
Dytecture
Not sure the relationship between the kitchen and the dining / living room, and whether there access from the kitchen to the dining room, but if I was to place a fireplace I would have it along the exterior wall where it says 7.90m.
0 Likes   December 24, 2012 at 1:50PM
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
I, too, did not know how one got to the dining room from the kitchen. To me the decision would be based on the arrangement of furniture in the room. And unfortunately these days the furniture is usually arranged around the TV in addition to the fireplace. So I've drawn a furniture layout for you and I left space to the side of the fireplace for a low media console with the TV on top or on the wall above the console. I'm not keen on TVs over the fireplace unless you are building a very low modern fireplace with the TV bottom at about 36" off the floor. It could be on an articulating arm.

The layout below which could be easily reversed if the dining room area needs to be on the other end. The angled alcove seemed perfect for a computer area/library.
3 Likes   December 24, 2012 at 2:25PM
decoenthusiaste
Bravo, CA-KD! Great plan! I might suggest a round expandable dining table. I get the feeling this is an apartment without much room to incorporate big changes. Still wondering about the door to the kitchen!
2 Likes   December 24, 2012 at 2:35PM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
@Carolyn Albert-Kincl Design you are always so spot on. You also are so generous to do these drawings for your posts. I hope the people appreciate them. It isn't easy to do those they take up your valuable time.
3 Likes   December 24, 2012 at 4:15PM
simplify52
I agree with you. Everything Carolyn Albert-Kincl does suits me to a tee and I am picky!!! I'll just bet she is as nice a person as she is a designer!!! Always love her work.
2 Likes   December 24, 2012 at 4:22PM
PRO
Many thanks to my houzzer friends! I appreciate so very much your support and kind words. What we all do is done because we care about design and the people who want and need our help. But your words touch me on this Christams Eve. Wishing all of you a very wonderful Christmas and a very creative and successful new year!
Carolyn
3 Likes   December 24, 2012 at 5:25PM
PRO
Hey, deco gal, we do indeed still need to determine where that door is to the kitchen! I like the idea of a smaller round table that can be expanded. I have found one or two 42" round tables that expand, in the past, but they seem to be a vanishing breed.
0 Likes   December 24, 2012 at 5:30PM
fadeljaber
Thank you for your comments everybody :)

@Carolyn Albert-Kincl Design, thank you for your design layout :)

@decoenthusiaste you are right this is an apartment. There is an access door on the right wall of the kitchen to the small area (corner) in the living room, I wonder if that corner can be used as a dining area?

I added a new plan

Please note that the walls are not fully done yet, so I can adjust the door location or add a service window...

Thank you all. Merry Christmas and Happy new year.
0 Likes   December 25, 2012 at 12:30AM
janishill
fadeljabar...please post a diagram that includes window and door placement for the entire area. It is difficult to give advice when one cannot see the space. Maybe you could post pictures of the rooms. That would be a tremendous help.
0 Likes   December 25, 2012 at 5:01AM
PRO
Since this is an apartment, what kind of fireplace will you be installing?
0 Likes   December 25, 2012 at 8:38AM
fadeljaber
@janishill the place is still under construction, right now it has the walls, doing the electric tubing and plumbing. So I can adjust doors and walls INSIDE the apartment. I will post pic when possible. The access is from the left side, and there is a door between the kitchen and the small corner in the living room (plz check the pic i posted in my previous comment)

@Carolyn Albert-Kincl Design I was thinking about a built in stove, it will take space from the apartment itself. The fireplace is not a necessity, I can do without it, but I thought it would be nice :)
0 Likes   December 25, 2012 at 10:25AM
fadeljaber
Here is the full apartment, I am also still confused about the master bedroom
1 Like   December 25, 2012 at 10:51AM
PRO
I can see why you're confused about the MBR! There seems to be a lot of wasted space in the entry area. I'd make half of that entry a closet, with access from the bathroom through the door where you currently would enter the bathroom. Then I'd put a new door to the bathroom around the corner from that door.

Or if there is space in the bath for a big walk-in closet, I'd still move the bathroom door around the corner and be able to use the entry space for something else. With the door to the bath where it is, it makes the entire entry area almost unusable.
1 Like   December 25, 2012 at 1:28PM
TanCalGal
I like the bedroom entry space as it is and the privacy location of the bathroom door. Also, the bedroom window across from the entry is nice. What confuses you about this space?
1 Like   December 26, 2012 at 9:44AM
fadeljaber
@olldj22 Well the living/dining room is whats confusing me,
i might close the balcony with curtain glass, so it can serve as a extra room . But still dont know where is the best place for dining table.
0 Likes   December 26, 2012 at 11:37AM
TanCalGal
DRs are usually close to the kitchen. I'd use the 3m x 2.39m area with a round table. Not sure how many you need to seat. The window there is a nice feature.
0 Likes   December 26, 2012 at 11:57AM
PRO
Yes, olldj22 is right, a 42" round table would fit in that 3m x 2.39m space and would have direct access to the kitchen. Then you could use the upper right part of the room for a library/office/reading room.
1 Like   December 26, 2012 at 2:21PM