Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Building house
mydreamhouse1233
December 24, 2012 in Design Dilemma
design of my kitchen in a u shape...small ...sink in the middle trying to get a lazy Susan or shelf....what i need to do to get the corners useful......need help o sugestions
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Main Line Kitchen Design
36' Easy Reach cabinet with Lazy susan or diagonal corner cabinet with lazy susan.
These are the best solutions for corners. Easy Reach has a larger opening for access, hence the name, but folding door can be awkward. Counter sink the handle screws on the back of the door on this cabinet, otherwise the back of the screws will scratch the other cabinets over time. If you have the space for these in both corners I would make one a lazy susan and one shelves. If you are forced to use a blind base in the other corner, kep it simple and don't get expensive pull outs and contraptions for this cabinet. They all break over time and they aren't worth the money. Remeber just as important as the design is getting well made cabinets that don't fall apart.
0 Likes   December 25, 2012 at 5:37AM
Grace Reed
I agree 100%. There is a third option that I've used. It seems counterintuitive, but, I've left the corner empty. Sometimes it's the only option or the best option. It might not make sense to pay for a blind corner that has limited, difficult to access storage. Main Line, I agree about the average insert but have the insert in the 2nd photo and love it. It glides out like butter and is heavy duty. The kidney shape works great for large pots, bowls, crockpot. What's your experience with these long term?
0 Likes   December 25, 2012 at 7:30AM
PRO
Linda
One of my investment house kitchens has the hinged corner doors that fold out of the way in both corners of a u shaped kitchen. I love the way the entire corner space is available with easy to reach space up front and space in the back corner for the seldom used items. The problem with lazy susan corners is you don't actually get much storage from them. I like the lazy susans for the upper cabinets as then anything you need is actually reachable from the floor but I don't want to sacrifice the storage in a base cabinet. My own kitchen has a blind corner cabinet and I use baskets in it so I can slide out an entire set of items without having to reach back in the corner.
0 Likes   December 25, 2012 at 8:49AM
PRO
Linda
Also, I have seen solutions where the corner is totally inaccessible from the kitchen but is available as a cabinet or bookshelf on the back side in the dining room or mud room.
1 Like   December 25, 2012 at 8:54AM
orangecamera
My parents have what Linda describes above...access from the dining room which is on the other side of the wall. It's very nice, but they have lost the counter space on the kitchen side. The best solution I can see is access from the other side ONLY below the countertop. Have the countertop on the kitchen side go all the way into the corner. For the upper cabinet, use a diagonal (triangle-shaped) cabinet with lazy susan.
0 Likes   December 25, 2012 at 9:45AM
PRO
Main Line Kitchen Design
Hi Linda,

Hafele's Lemans in your picture and Hafele's other blind base solutions are definitely the best made and most durable blind base mechanicals out there. That being said, so many of these products don't make it to the ten or twenty year mark or end up pulling the cabinets apart from the added stress that I would prefer to keep it simple. In general, the cabinets are made without considering the devices added post production. European frameless cabinetry will never hold up to the added stress. Well made framed cabinetry, maybe, but essentially when new products like this come out we are all the guinea pigs.

All my opinion, but unfortunately my skeptical nature has been proven correct more often than not.

On the plus side: The Lemans is REALLY COOL! Hope I'm all hot air on this prediction.

Happy Holidays,

Paul
1 Like   December 26, 2012 at 6:34AM
Grace Reed
Thanks for the input, Paul. And, I do have frameless Design Craft cabinets. Sounds like it's good to keep heavier things off of it which isn't a problem. I have a small kitchen but I have the "right" storage and even more than I need.
0 Likes   December 27, 2012 at 7:46AM
More Discussions
Anyone have a suggestion for tile and mirror for this bathroom?
New bathroom at our beach property on the Northumbrland...
camf
Kitchen help
I am thinking of replacing my kitchen table and chairs...
scapp
What's the best soap and shampoo shelf in the shower ?
Do you guys prefer soap boxes like the bathroom I just...
DS Tile And Marble
Help my kitchen
Should I paint the cabinet or keep them
4tocome
Need ideas for glass block window over tub/shower
small bathroom with window over tub/shower
mitzikbird
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.