Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Contemporary fireplace redo, a few questions
cashton
December 25, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I'm redoing the brick fireplace into a modern contemporary design on a budget. Pictures are the work in progress, so far I have removed top half of brick, drywalled and wired for big screen TV, increased shelf thickness from 1 1/4 inch to 2, and primed. The entire room including wainscot will be white (I think). I still have to do the lower fireplace face, in 12x24 tile, soft white with some grey accents, mantel and hearth in a dark grey matt tile, and enlarging mantel (would prefer one piece stained concrete for both but not to be). Ok, some questions:

I still don't like the upper right and left corners with the gentle curve and faux beam above it, not edgy enough (the room has 3 beams that so the upper left and right short ones are there to continue that theme), any idea on how to modify the upper left and right for a better look than curve and beam?

If went with a white room should the beams also be white or some other color? (They are white now) I could also clad them in real wood and stain so that's also an option but my wife would hate the idea if they are dark.

Thanks for looking!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cashton
Removing beams may be an option, not sure if they are structure or faux but think the latter.
0 Likes   December 25, 2012 at 5:36AM
cashton
Another view
0 Likes   December 25, 2012 at 5:38AM
cashton
And another
0 Likes   December 25, 2012 at 5:40AM
cashton
Something tells me wainscot should go, why have it, just adding clutter, hmmm
0 Likes   December 25, 2012 at 5:45AM
PRO
Maison Pompeii Antiques and Interiors
I think that beams need to stay and match rest of beams. Straighten out the top of the bookcase by putting a layer of wide trim all the way around book case. I would then paint the walls around bookcase the same as the rest of the room. Install library light at top of bookcase. If you go with all white walls then paint inside of bookcase a color or the present wall or hearth color for contrast. In all cases keep beams white for a more modern vibe unless you can afford some great figured macasar ebony veneer etc. Stain will bring right back to the 70s
1 Like   December 25, 2012 at 5:49AM
olldcan
I like the beams on the ceiling and would even consider doing the ceiling in T&G, painted white. I wouldn't do any wainscotting. I agree the soft curve on top of the shelving needs addressing. I'd face it with a straight piece there, the same height as the header into the other room on the left. Consider some doors for those units if you plan to have dvd and other components. Flat panel would be my choice as the raised is more traditional. I'd go ahead with the tile and concrete at this point. Once those are done it will become very clear what needs to be done.
1 Like   December 25, 2012 at 6:05AM
cashton
Thank you, surprised no one said cut the opening so its square, my wife also said add trim.
0 Likes   December 25, 2012 at 8:22AM
decoenthusiaste
I would suggest, for a more "edgy" look, you remove the curved piece and follow the angle of the beam with the interior of the cabinet. Part of the problem with the way it looks now is the plain drywall over the FP. That's where the trim should go. If you don't remove your wainscot, you could install a new look like FP 1 or 2 all around, including as wainscot - for a more edgy feel. An accent color and grand piece of art would make a WOW! There is a tutorial here on Houzz about decorating shelves - that might be a big help to you because your "display" looks like a video store right now - sorry not "edgy!" You need some large decorative pieces - especially for the top shelf if you open it to angle. Consider painting the ceiling between the beams a very light version of the greige you seem to have on the walls so the beams will contrast with it. A delicate blue could work too, and for the FP accent, orange works well with your wall color.
Condominium
Hill Country Contemporary
Living Room Fireplace
0 Likes   December 25, 2012 at 8:56AM
cashton
Thanks. I had to stop work for Christmas, the shelves just have Xmas cards on them now as they are just primed, the nice pieces are stored as they would just stick to the prime.

I think I know what you mean about trim on drywall but not 100 percent, are you suggesting, carrying trim the width of the beam right around it at top?

All the walls and cabinets will be painted white, haven't got there yet either. Couple of shades lighter for beams, like it, also am considering, depending on how it looks after tile, of adding the tile accent color to back of shelves.
0 Likes   December 25, 2012 at 9:09AM
cashton
Also thought of carting beam angle with interior of shelf but frightened to commit to it :)) love the video store comment.
0 Likes   December 25, 2012 at 9:11AM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
I wish I could add something substantial but there are great ideas above and I agree with most of them. Good luck.
0 Likes   December 25, 2012 at 9:40AM
decoenthusiaste
I wasn't suggesting you replicate the beam - that's a bigger job. The trim I was suggesting would be something like pics 1 and 2 that I posted - they will take your eye away from the beam and focus it elsewhere. Painting the backs of the shelves could look nice. You'd better post some more pics after the mantel and tile go in. We don't want to lead you down the garden path because of lack of info.
0 Likes   December 25, 2012 at 11:28AM