Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with living room
Monica Ellison
December 25, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I recently purchased a new sofa to coordinate with existing furniture. Now I am not so sure. Any advice on what I should add and/or remove from the room to make it work? I love all the pieces in the room but maybe the just don't all belong together. I plan to get a rug and drapes and maybe that is all I need to pull the room together.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Maison Pompeii Antiques and Interiors
This room is great. You dont need our advice. Go get your rug and drapes. Nice modern vibe. It may need some tweeking of accessories later.
December 25, 2012 at 9:47am     
nevadan
The horse picture is great, but it does not go on that wall, especially when you get drapes. Everything else is very nice - some reservations about your coffee table, but it is hard to see what it really is. it looks kind of dated.
December 25, 2012 at 9:50am   
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
I'd swap out those pillows for something more textural. I like the Mongolian lamb pillow shown below, and I'd mix it with 22" sq. shimmering gray velvet pillows, 1 of the lamb and 2 of the velvet on the sofa.
For the rug, I'd suggest looking at a glossy gray shag rug. Whatever that is under the tray on the cocktail ottoman, I would remove it.Mongolian Lamb Pillow UN06 Hand Woven - Unison Rugs by lightingzilla.com
December 25, 2012 at 10:01am     
Monica Ellison
I love the horse picture which was from my previous home. You cannot tell from this photo but my home has alot of windows and very litte wall space. I know I will have to move the photo once I get drapes. The ottoman is not dated. It is from Mitchell Gold current collection. It is called the Hines ottoman. Mitchell Gold designs are a blend of the classics and mid century modern. I purchased a shag rug like the one suggested however, it did not look well in the room so I returned. I like the mongolian the fur pillows.
December 25, 2012 at 10:06am   
PRO
Is there another color you'd like to introduce into the room?
December 25, 2012 at 10:15am   
Ramona
You have an excellent start. The bench/ottoman is beautiful and is obviously first rate. I would take the thingy under the tray off as suggested above. I think your lamp bases are awfully big for the size of the end tables you have. Could you use them somewhere else? Shag rugs are an invention from hell. The dirt which accumulates far, far outweighs the esthetic appeal. Are you interested in any color at all? If not, I'd get a rug with black, grey, white pattern of some sort. Your horsies are beautiful. I hope you have a good wall for them.
December 25, 2012 at 10:17am   
Monica Ellison
Thank you Ramona. I will remove the throw from under the tray. I was thinking the same thing about the lamps. I can move them to my bedroom once I find something that will work in the room. I would like to introduce another color. Not sure what color. The dining room is adjacent to the living room and the colors are taupe and ivory. I've lived with many colors and I feel most comfortable with the water colors and according to my feng shui element the best colors for me are blues, grays and whites. I think I could introduce a pop of citrus color (orange, yellow or green). After I hung the horses I realized it did not work...I don't feel like taking them down just yet. My walls are pretty high and I don't like getting on the ladder. I will eventually move to the entryway.
December 25, 2012 at 10:25am   
PRO
Marina Klima Goldberg - Klima Design Group
I would use a floor lamp instead of table lamps with exposed wires. I am very much into color, so I would still infuse bright, really bright glimpses of color with small elements. I would use soft or sheer off white drapes that really drape to soften the look. Rug, of course and move the chair closer to the sofa if possible. Then, perhaps some other small, little seating pieces, like tiny ottomans or decorative little stools.
December 25, 2012 at 10:57am     
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
The room looks great love the pieces you have. It looks like there might be room for 2 small chairs with a pop of color and pattern on either ind of the sofa. These could help dictate the color of the rug and drapes.
December 25, 2012 at 12:19pm   
PRO
Monica, I like your idea of introducing a citrus color and I'd pick yellow. This rug could be a starting point.
December 25, 2012 at 1:11pm     
decoenthusiaste
You could do a touch of orange, persimmon, coral. and still be compatible with the dining room. I think I'd rather see the bench under the window and a smaller scale coffee table that is more in line with the size and classic detail of your sofa.

December 25, 2012 at 1:22pm   
PRO
December 25, 2012 at 1:44pm     
judianna20
White is my suggestion for pillows on the sofa. Definitely Carolyn's suggestion of the Iamb. Bring up the bench color onto the sofa. I don't mind the lamp but not crazy about the table. As for the horse picture, could you find one similar in color, size and hang it on the other side of the window and just put panels behind the couch?
December 25, 2012 at 2:42pm   
Monica Ellison
I love all the suggestions. Ramona, I love the table lamp. Please tell me where I can purchase it. Carolyn, I will definitely get the white fur pillow to bring the ottoman color onto the sofa. I also like your rug suggestion which I saw on overstock and thought of it as a possibility. I have another chair similar to the suggestions that I will put into the room once I get it reupholstered.
December 25, 2012 at 8:36pm   
Monica Ellison
Here is the chair I plan to put in the living room once I get it reupholsterd.
December 25, 2012 at 8:39pm     
Monica Ellison
Ramona, I now see the link for the lamp. Thank you!
December 25, 2012 at 8:46pm   
PRO
Anish Motwani Associates
Hello

the room is good.. just add good colorful rug, it will enhance the whole area and make it look better

regards
December 25, 2012 at 10:09pm     
MAlps
Love the furniture! I don't think its modern- looks more antique. I would put the ottoman on a different side of the room, since it surely has a more updated look. Also, don't know why you made it look like a coffee table, its soft and cushiony. How about putting it by a window as a window seat? For curtains, go organza sheer an do swags on each side, but overlap them ( on 2 separate rods) its STUNNING!
December 25, 2012 at 11:28pm     
Ramona
I think your chair is perfect given what Carolyn suggested. Same lines.
December 26, 2012 at 9:10am   
PRO
I agree with Ramona that your chair is wonderful!
December 26, 2012 at 9:16am   
More Discussions
Let's play in my LR!
OK, so we moved into this much smaller place over a...
Pool Deck Repair - See Attached Pics
We bought our first house (40 year old) in Dallas ,...
New house. Can't decide on wall color
We are moving into a new house that I want to repaint....
Need help with my kitchen
We recently changed our kitchen from an impractical...
Help! No idea what color to paint this old farmhouse!
This old farmhouse has great bones, but needs a lot...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.