powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Ideas for walls on either side of fireplace?
phall6363
December 25, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Just moved in so things are still pretty bare. What do you think I should do on either side of the fireplace?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
decoenthusiaste
You've blocked the FP with the chairs. I assume you've centered the sofa and rug in front of the TV but when you have a FP it is always the focal point of a room. Did you consider putting the TV above it? The two chairs are very nice but the sofa, rug and tables aren't doing much for the esthetic of your room. Take some more shots so we can be more helpful. You may have furniture that would be useful in arranging the room if we could see everything. Love the art and if you put the TV there would want to find a great spot for the pair.
December 25, 2012 at 11:16am     
geroudecor
Can you send a picture of the entire lay out? That would be very helpfull. Thanks.
December 25, 2012 at 11:28am   
PRO
A Kitchen That Works LLC
Depending how much you want to spend, I would suggest you ditch the mantle, clad the face of the fireplace in a nice tile or quarried stone and then wrap the fireplace with bookshelves (building around the floor mounted heater) and incorporating a new mantle. If you would like a TV in this space, above the mantle would be a good spot. Move the couch so that it is perpendicular to it's current location so that it faces the fireplace.
December 25, 2012 at 11:41am   
judianna20
I, too, like the chairs and the two prints. The sofa and the rug do not seem to be the same theme.

Could you move the two chairs to either side of the fireplace? Add two interesting floor lamps, complimenting the prints, as that addition might take care of that bare feeling.

December 25, 2012 at 11:47am   
houssaon
I like all the pieces. But more color on the walls will bring out the color of the rug and the sofa. The two chairs are great, but right now they are blocking the fireplace.

The finish of the ceiling seems to have a shine to it. Flat is better, unless you are doing a decorative finish. On the walls, use a matte finish, which is washable and doesn't reflect light and so the colors are truer.

Look at a medium greys like Sparrow AF-720 by Benjamin Moore, Benjamin Moore Storm, Dolphin AF-715 by Benjamin Moore or Cinder af-705 Benjamin Moore.
December 25, 2012 at 12:16pm   
phall6363
Thanks to everyone for your comments! I won't be uploading more current photos because the place is really a mess and my iPhone isn't reproducing the colors correctly, but I have uploaded the layout of the living room. There is no TV and I not want one in there. The fireplace does not work. There will be a mini grand piano in one of the corners across the room from the fireplace.
December 25, 2012 at 12:38pm   
decoenthusiaste
Based on your floor plan, if the mini grand is electronic, I would put in the window recess. If an actual mechanical piano, then in the far left corner from the window. Assuming it would be in the window, I would flank the FP with the chairs and turn the rug the opposite direction, sofa on it facing the FP. Put your taller table in the lower left hand corner opposite FP. Put a tall floral or dried arrangement on it. If the piano is in the back corner, put the two chairs with an arc lamp in the window space, sitting on one end of the rug. sofa opposite the window. Try a gel burning or alcohol insert in the FP, and a sculptural coffee table for some curves.
Nova Lighting 2110003 Plimpton Arc Lamp Contemporary Vertigo Arc Floor Lamp
Sculptured Coffee Table
Modway Triangle Dark Walnut Wood Glass Top Coffee Table
December 25, 2012 at 1:12pm     
phall6363
Interesting -- the first layout you described with the piano in the window well was my original layout, but I didn't like how the sofa ended up chopping my living room in half, and I didn't like seeing the back of the sofa when you enter the room, even with a sofa table. I'll see how it works with the chairs in the window well. Thanks!
December 25, 2012 at 2:07pm   
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
How refreshing not to have a TV in the room! Congratulations! Until you're ready to do something else with the fireplace, I like the art that you have hung there, though I would put them closer together, leaving 2.5" of space between them. I would not put any other art on the wall. They are enough.

I'd move the chairs to flank the fireplace, giving each chair a small drinks table. I'd love to see an ottoman between the chairs so that they would become fireside chairs and would be a great spot for reading or listening to the piano. I think I'd leave the sofa in the window alcove, giving it a large coffee table. The piano would go in the back left quadrant. I'd add 2 slipper chairs, but not sure about placement of them.
December 25, 2012 at 2:20pm