Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
SOS! need help with kitchen wall paint color and tile backsplash
agedport
December 25, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I want to introduce some warmth and/or color in my kitchen.The cabinets are Benjamin Moore white dove, light maple floor, countertops are San Gabriel granite, island is white Nepal granite (grey and off white). Please ignore the paint samples on the wall. I was experimenting with bold colors, but chickened out! The kitchen opens into an octagonal eating area, so I will need a paint color for that too.... thanks!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
josiedolly
I also have white cabinets. My paint color is a shade or 2 lighter than Behr Golden Leaf. It would match your floor great. Then I would accent in black and red. I stenciled black diamonds and it looks fantastic. I have burgandy walls in the living room that match one of your paint spots on your wall. It all works!
December 25, 2012 at 1:42pm   
agedport
Thanks Josie! Do you have a picture you could share? We are using Benjamin Moore paint and I would like to try to find the color in Benjamin Moore. Also, I am a very visual person and can't picture anything unless I see it. Thanks again for responding!
December 25, 2012 at 1:53pm   
josiedolly
Here are our wall colors. I am not finished stenciling. The diamonds are between the fluer de lis. I might even put the golden color on the bottom of your island.
December 25, 2012 at 2:17pm     
MAlps
Baeutiful kitchen! I love it! I would either do a pretty light blue-not too light or to go a little more old fashion and add red and stainless for appliances. If you choose to go with light blue, lucite dinette chairs around a square table with 2 chairs on each side is STUNNING! Putting fresh orchid plants around the counters will give it a bit more of mod look! I'm thinking of my friend designer kitchen that was just redone! Also white...
December 25, 2012 at 2:37pm     
houssaon
Here is one space with a terracotta red: Color & Personality 1 and Color & Personality 2. Notice the subway tile backsplash. And here is one with a true red: Broderick Kitchen.

Green is soothing in this kitchen with Dove White on the cabinets and Rosemary Sprig #2144-20 by Benjamin Moore: Plymouth Residence 1 and Plymouth Residence 2. Again, white tiles.

For a blue kitchen, this is lovely: Marylhurst Kitchen. Looks like marble tiles.
December 25, 2012 at 2:46pm     
karislawson
I say take out the granite island and replace it with something more homey or modern. Also paint your walls a peach color. And put in some nice lighting.
December 25, 2012 at 3:05pm   
MAlps
@houssaon: nice pics but i meant a softer light blue, much palet
December 25, 2012 at 3:28pm   
PRO
Amy Canary
My suggestion is to consider white carrara subway tile for backsplash and a gray with blue undertones for walls such as Ben Moore whitestone 2134-60. Keep it light and classic. Your kitchen is beautiful!
December 25, 2012 at 5:19pm     
clyon
For warmth, I like the terracotta red or the Rosemary Sprig in Houssaon's photos. Love your Shaker cabinets - looks like you are on your way to a beautiful kitchen! Good luck.
December 25, 2012 at 5:24pm     
jeepgurl
I agree with Amy! Keep it simple and timeless. I would do the carrara subway tile for backsplash and maybe paint the island a grey color, or leave the island white. I would paint the walls a pale pale grey like Behrs Silver Drop. You can always add pops of color with accesories. Your kitchen is lovely!!
December 25, 2012 at 5:32pm     
agedport
Thank you all so much for your responses. Thus is my first time posting on this site and I am so appreciative of the time you all took to respond. Lots to think about.....thanks again!
December 29, 2012 at 8:36am   
collettec
I would consider painting the island base wood black.
December 29, 2012 at 9:04am   
lionnessone
Backsplash?
Complete your job before choosing a paint colour.
December 29, 2012 at 9:14am   
collettec
I would add a glass tile backsplash in a solid color that you like, maybe something like a green - but could be any color.
December 29, 2012 at 9:32am