Users
Need help decorating bookshelve/case
preshus
December 25, 2012 in Design Dilemma
any ideas how to decorate these bookshelves/bookcases
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
TanCalGal
Here's a good tutorial: Ideabook: Handmade Home: How to Style Your Bookcase

Some paint the back of their shelves. If you're interested in painting: paint foam board instead of the actual shelves. Our Navy Living Room
December 25, 2012 at 6:08pm   
preshus
thanks
December 25, 2012 at 6:46pm     
pcmom1
Shelf display is an art! Be shameless and copy something you like. Doesn't mean you can't tweak for your own interests. Do you collect anything: cameras, pottery, etc?
December 25, 2012 at 6:54pm   
hawaiidreamer
I would LOVE to have that trouble! To have that much open space for books or other loved items would be wonderful. If you're not a book person, then look around for things you already have and start to place them here instead of where they are. If you ARE a book person, but just don't have enough to fill this wonderful space, look at estate sales and thrift stores and buy ones you'd like to read, but also ones that look interesting to the eye. But still mix the books with other items you enjoy displaying. The items and the book covers will add color, but the idea of foam board inserts for additional color is also an option.

With kids, you could put theirs on the lower shelves, in baskets, or even behind the doors,(tho i would prefer that space for dvd/cd storage as i don't like those out in sight).

If there's wood under the white, you might want to strip just the trim down to clean wood. Messy, but it would add some more interest and detail.

Enjoy the project! Depending on who does it, this could come out 100 different ways! Would love to see how it turns out!
December 25, 2012 at 7:12pm   
MAlps
This nice white book case have lots of potential! Dont know the xcolor scheme in the rest of the room, but to take a thin paint brush and paint the trimming, inside the moldings etc a pretty green, gold, or plum- depending on the style will add some color. Than i would put a lot of square and rectangle baskets of different sizes to store items like CDs DVD and other odds and ends. You can do classic wicker or wooden boxes and paint them different colors. Good luck
December 25, 2012 at 11:49pm   
PRO
D John Design
Oh, I love bookcases. Here is a great opportunity to show ase your personality. First thing is to look over your possessions and see what you have, group like things together. I always like to do something to the back of a bookcase with paint in contrasting color, wallpaper or mirrors. If you have small objects that you want to display invest in some nice acrylic stands and holders to elevate. Have fun.
December 26, 2012 at 1:30am