Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
kitchen visual balance with open shelves
jrdreyer
December 26, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Happy holidays! I sure could use some help from the experts on how to visually balance out our kitchen. We just remodeled and added open shelving on the top since we expanded the kitchen counter out to gain more space. The drawers to the right of the stove are made out of reclaim wood, but seem to be a bit out of balance with the other white cabinets. I thought the reclaim wood on the outsides of the counter would balance this out, but I am not sure if I should white wash the wood on the drawers or not. The size difference between the right and left of the stove also seems to be throwing things off. Should I paint the reclaim wood white? Any other suggestions for staging that would trick the eye?

I also plan to add corner shelves to the end of the upper cabinet.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jrdreyer
The fake plant is also temporary. I hope to build a open shelf cabinet to place there.
0 Likes   December 26, 2012 at 5:47AM
Dar Eckert
I think the reclaimed wood and shelves look lovely and wouldn't paint them out. They add some character to the room. Do add the shelves on the other side of the cupbard. You just need to add some colorful accessories to the shelves and room and you've got it.
0 Likes   December 26, 2012 at 6:12AM
jrdreyer
Great, thanks for your comment.
0 Likes   December 26, 2012 at 7:43AM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
I think overall you did well. I would do the things as said above and add one more thing. Put the wood on the drawer and door to the left of the stove.
1 Like   December 26, 2012 at 7:48AM
PRO
Stoneshop
I agree with Interiors International--definately add the reclaimed wood to the face of the drawer & door to the left of the stove. The wood really adds warmth to your kitchen. It's looking great!
0 Likes   December 26, 2012 at 8:02AM
jrdreyer
That is a good idea to add more wood to the left of the stove cabinet and drawer - I will do this. Do you think this will solve the unbalanced look? I am concerned that it will always look unbalanced due to the size difference.
0 Likes   December 26, 2012 at 8:17AM
Anne Pratt
It doesn't have to be perfectly symmetrical. When you put things on the shelves, be mindful of balance, but balanced doesn't necessarily mean symmetrical. Bring in a bit of color with your accessories (or dishes) and you'll love this kitchen!
0 Likes   December 26, 2012 at 8:26AM
houseofcsh
I think when you add the shelves to the left of the upper cabinet the open shelves will feel more balanced. You can try visually 'shortening' the longer shelf but putting something tall in the corner so the open space matches the open space of the shorter shelf.
0 Likes   December 26, 2012 at 8:28AM
jrdreyer
Excellent advise. I am super excited about finishing it off with your inputs :)
0 Likes   December 26, 2012 at 9:19AM
PRO
Girl Meets Lake
I think you should continue the tile to the ceiling/crown molding and behind the new shelves you are adding to the left of the upper cabinet. It will make this feel like one big item instead of several smaller items and will visually widen the room. The reclaimed wood is beautiful and the way it continues across the face of the lower cabinets widens this area the same way I see the tile widening and tying the stove wall area together. Great job.
1 Like   December 26, 2012 at 9:36AM
jrdreyer
Do you also think I should tile above the 2 existing shelves between the cabinets to the ceiling? I went back and forth on whether to bring the tile up to the ceiling and decided to try up the the second shelf 1st.
0 Likes   December 26, 2012 at 9:46AM
PRO
Girl Meets Lake
Yes I would tile above the two existing shelves. I think that is the what makes things feel unbalanced. It breaks the wall into too many sections.
0 Likes   December 26, 2012 at 10:37AM
jrdreyer
Ok nice! I will break out the thinset and head back to the store for more tile. For the new shelves I was thinking about putting wood backing so it looks more like the cabinets. Wonder if that will look strange to have two different types of walls behind open shelves.
0 Likes   December 26, 2012 at 11:00AM
PRO
Girl Meets Lake
I did a quick sketch but cannot figure out why it wontalow me to attach the image.
0 Likes   December 26, 2012 at 11:44AM
jrdreyer
Maybe you can send me the image to my email jrdreyer25@gmail.com and I will post it?
0 Likes   December 26, 2012 at 11:50AM
PRO
LM Designers
You did a nice job. I agree with Melinda and would tile to the ceiling. That way you are not introducing to many surfaces and it will tie into what you have already done. I like the colors you choose.
0 Likes   December 26, 2012 at 11:57AM
jrdreyer
Melinda, thank you so much for the sketch! Here it is attached...
0 Likes   December 26, 2012 at 12:08PM
jrdreyer
The tile look great up to the ceiling!!! The bulk head stops at the edge of the existing cabinet, so maybe I will tile all the way even with the bulk head, but then add another piece of wood on the top just like the shelves below but with molding angling back to the wall?
0 Likes   December 26, 2012 at 12:11PM
mfheryford
I agree with the others that you should tile all the way up to the ceiling. You should also tile the area to the left of the upper cabinet, ending where the counter ends (as it does in the photo). That will unify the space and create a visual field that is whole. I have a huge wall of tile behind my stove, cupboard to cupboard and to the ceiling and I like the way it doesn't break the line of vision. Also, with your great new weathered wood look you may want to consider other bar stools to keep with the bistro-meets barn look you are creating. Maybe something in weathered wood with upholstered seats, or metal and wood to continue the look. Maye something like this with weathered wood legs and a linen seat : http://www.zincdoor.com/p/Millenium-Bar-Stool__LEE520652.aspx?SSAID=144212&gclid=CLuytt_6uLQCFY-d4AodCTEAVw

Looks great! Good luck!
0 Likes   December 26, 2012 at 1:00PM
jrdreyer
Thank you everyone for your advise! This helps me so much!
0 Likes   December 26, 2012 at 3:13PM