powered by
need help for den/kitchen
December 26, 2012
We have a large kitchen bar that has much needed overhead cabinets.. so no demo. How do I make the back side of upper and lower cabinets more attractive to look at when you are sitting in the den?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
One option is to install wainscoting on the backs of the cabinetry to give a more finished look.
    Bookmark   December 26, 2012 at 8:41AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Interiors International, Inc.
Adding picture frame molding and stain it to match that great wood color. This will add an architectural element and still not add visual weight.
    Bookmark   December 26, 2012 at 8:48AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
I would cover it with drywall and paint it to match the den walls.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 26, 2012 at 9:05AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
I agree with painting it to match the den..the flow would be better
    Bookmark   December 26, 2012 at 9:10AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Lynn Oxenford
More options are , tile it with a thin light weight mosaic glass, or wood veneer sheets. There's also beautiful textured copper sheets, decorative textured glass, even exotic basket weave tiles in wood finishes. The choices are limitless, email me of you want information on where to look at these items .
    Bookmark   December 26, 2012 at 9:52AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
thank you all so much. More ideas than I have thought of.
    Bookmark   December 26, 2012 at 11:12AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
LM Designers
I agree with groveraxle, make it go away. You don't want them to be a focal point.
    Bookmark   December 26, 2012 at 11:17AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
If you can reinstall, make them double-sided with a nice obscured glass door. Repaint or re stain to make cohesive with all cabinets.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Donna    December 26, 2012 at 11:17AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
we wanted to rip it out and open the kitchen to the den but due to extensive floor damage ( brown fungus that ate the subfloor in the den) we are out of funds for a kitchen redo). i am like a lot of these ideas...as its a huge wood elephant in the room when in the den.
    Bookmark   December 27, 2012 at 4:54AM
Sign Up to comment
Related Discussions
Help! I need to update my difficult den!
I need some new furniture and a new room arrangement...
Need help with coord den and kitchen cabinets/fireplace shelves
New kitchen will be white with white granite. You will...
Need help for my kitchen and den
The walls in our kitchen are a dark paneling. I want...
Help with Kitchen and Den Straight out of 70's
Our new house has been nearly untouched for 30+ years,...
need help with a den
my den has a fireplace opposite a sliding glass door....
More Discussions
Gunstock Oak from 25 years ago
Has anyone had any luck matching old Gunstock Oak flooring...
Need help with my tiny half-bathroom!
We are doing some easier renovations to our tiny half-bath....
Rebecca Rorie
what do i do with these cupboards?
would just staining the wood trim and handles a dark...
Living Room Built in color? White or darker wood?
We are remodeling the fireplace. Putting stone all...
What would you add or remove on bookshelf?
Looking for suggestions on what to add or remove from...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.