Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
I need help for my dark living room wall
mytime001
December 26, 2012 in Design Dilemma
My living room is 23' by 16' 9". I am having trouble with the dark wall, which is 16' 9". I am thinking of hanging a Silk rug (54" square) in back of the sofa, with 4' bookcases on either side of the rug. I am thinking of using backless bookshelves, which would hopefully tie everything together with the wall color. I am stumped as to what color to paint that wall. The rest of the walls are taupe.
Ay ideas would be greatly appreciated!!
Sharon
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mytime001
More pictures
0 Likes   December 26, 2012 at 8:55AM
karislawson
Put up paintings and a lamp in the corner. It will make it more lively
0 Likes   December 26, 2012 at 8:57AM
mytime001
More pictures
1 Like   December 26, 2012 at 8:57AM
mytime001
Thank you, Karislawson. My point is to lighten up the whole wall. I have ceiling spotlighting for the wall, from when I lived there before. I thought building bookcases on each side of the artwork would brighten the whole wall, making it the focal point. I would put glass pieces in the bookshelves. And, maybe adding a couple of small lamps.
0 Likes   December 26, 2012 at 9:04AM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
With a room that size I would think you could spread that furniture apart a bit. This will remove all the visual weight in that corner. Then find some original paintings to give it the color it needs. If the art budget is small go to Etsy.com. There are some really good artist selling their work for very low prices. This way you are still getting good original art. I hate seeing the same art in someone's house.as in my own. That would never happen.
0 Likes   December 26, 2012 at 9:06AM
mytime001
I have added pictures of rest of the room. I changed one of the green chairs, which I could just discard. I had planned to use the dark consol behind the two chairs, with a couple of lamps. Keep in mind that most of the furniture is temporary, except for the card table in front of the window. It is the first time that I have enjoyed the park view from the window.
0 Likes   December 26, 2012 at 9:59AM
mytime001
BTW, the TV can go to another room.
0 Likes   December 26, 2012 at 10:02AM
mytime001
Here is a crude drawing of my idea for the far, dark wall. I was planning on white bookcases.
1 Like   December 26, 2012 at 10:14AM
Peg Silverwood
Your room looks like a nice space to do many things to brighten and make it feel inviting. I The large wall behind the sofa where the ceiling lighting is could use two large mirrors on each side. Consider 5 to 6 ft mirror. Or you could put a sofa table behind this same sofa with two lamps on each side. Or you could put end tables on each side with lamps with the mirrors behind them. You could ad beautiful glass pieces on the end tables that are simple and not too small 9 botanical pictures in large size frames would be beautiful over that same sofa. A book case with beautiful pieces centered on the wall with the two chair whether open or closed would ad interest. Keep it clean and simple. A beautiful throw would look nice under that tray on the ottoman.

The tapestry that is shown in the picture above could be framed and be the focal point of that wall behind the sofa with the mirrors and lamps on each side. Beautiful crystal lamps with drum neutral shades would be a good look.

Change out the pillows so that they are interesting and not too matched. Pillows with fringe are nice. Or take one of the floral off the sofa and leave only one on.

Here are a few ideas. I hope that they help.
0 Likes   December 26, 2012 at 11:26AM
Harrut
To keep costs down one idea is to paint it a dark burgundy but only if it's a naturally dark space. Accentuate the darkness with an interesting colour and then create light with wall lights and perhaps add a gold mirror which has some style to it.
0 Likes   December 26, 2012 at 11:37AM
mytime001
Thank you so much for your ideas! At the moment, the sofa is sitting 48 inches in from the wall. I did that to accommodate the bookshelves that nobody seems to like. I don't think that I can have the silk rug framed. It has a 1/2 inch pile. I could ask a framer.
1 Like   December 26, 2012 at 11:47AM
Peg Silverwood
In reading your previous posts and see that furniture is going to be temporary. I would suggest. Looking at the type of furnishings you would like for the space and make a vision board.What is the style you want to go for?
The area looks like it would do well with smaller size furnishings. The bookcase idea will work and putting two smaller sized chairs in front would keep it open. Mirrors will make the room look larger. There are some wonderful ones out there. I would try an incorporate them some way. Too much furniture will close in the area. You may be able to attached a rod holder to the back for the rug and hang it off of some curtain rods.
0 Likes   December 26, 2012 at 12:33PM
mytime001
Sorry that I haven't been more clear. I meant that the small pieces are temporary. As in the TV, the console, the pillows., and maybe, one of the chairs. The rug has been hung before, using carpet tacking, that you use to stretch and secure your carpet to the walls. It works well.
0 Likes   December 26, 2012 at 12:42PM
Peg Silverwood
Is the wall where the two chairs are long? If so, have you time the sofa on that wall? It looks like a door is on one of the walls. It there a kitchen close and it is open to this area? Is there a way to take a panoramic by snapping shots around the room and then post them in order?
0 Likes   December 26, 2012 at 4:15PM
simps214
I would hang a large antique mirror instead of artwork to reflect any light you have, especially since you have nice colors in the space already. A more cost-effective alternative is to buy an ordinary mirror and distress it with an acid based solution. Perhaps the tapestry could be of use in the dining area?

Also, I know it sounds weird but whats going on with the ceiling? Brightening the paint color or, if you're bold, using a reflective paint might help.

I also agree that the furniture should be broken up and a floor lamp placed in the corner.
0 Likes   December 26, 2012 at 4:50PM
mytime001
Thanks. I am going to take a panoramic picture of this room and post it.
Do you think that I should move the sofa against the wall? If that's the case, I have plenty of room for the furniture. You saw that I moved one of the chairs to a different spot in the LR, right?
Sharon
0 Likes   December 26, 2012 at 5:07PM
mytime001
The ceiling is white with crown molding. I have 4 spotlights in the ceiling, focusing on that wall. As I said, the silk rug was there 10 years ago, when I lived here. Just moving back. And I am not going to have a dining room. I want a great room effect.
0 Likes   December 26, 2012 at 5:13PM
Peg Silverwood
I will look forward to the panoramic pictures. I have been off all day today and so had plenty of time to get on to this site. It may take me longer in the next couple of days.

Since you are thinking of a great room and you like the table by the window because of it view, how about floating the sofa in front of the card table and put the sofa table that is holding the TV on against the back of the Sofa. You could ad some Large Candle sticks for lighting there. and then some wonderful items that could be displayed to balance out the candle sticks.
Put the bookcases on the wall where the sofa is like you wanted and hang the rug in the middle. If you can find some long skinny mirrors hang them on the outside on each side of book case.
You could get a small corner table to keep the TV on if it is something you want it the room. place a chair facing each other in front of the ottoman and sofa so you have a sitting area. Find some botanical pictures that for the wall behind the chairs and consider some kind of wall sconces that are large enough that they don't get lost on the wall. Does this help?
0 Likes   December 26, 2012 at 5:33PM
mytime001
Ok, new pictures. Also, I am moving some of my furniture and artwork from NYC. So, I think that have artwork covered. Plus, I included a picture of the entry. I have a floor to ceiling mirror that will go between the sconces. I also showed the four feet between the sofa and the wall, which I was saving for shelving on that wall.
0 Likes   December 26, 2012 at 5:34PM
mytime001
More pic's
0 Likes   December 26, 2012 at 5:36PM
Darla
What would it look like to paint the walls the back ground color of the pillows???
0 Likes   December 26, 2012 at 5:43PM
Peg Silverwood
Nice. What do you think about floating the sofa the opposite end and put the bookcases with the two chair in front of them. Use the table you have for the TV and move the TV out of the room if you can. It will be lamps on tables and mirrors that will help light up the room. Painting a darker color with enclose the area and make it feel cave like.
0 Likes   December 26, 2012 at 5:47PM
mytime001
These pictures are pretty dark. However, the above pictures were taken at noon, so you get a better idea of the furniture in front of the window.
0 Likes   December 26, 2012 at 5:48PM
mytime001
Psilver, do you mean to put the sofa on the wall opposite from where I want the bookcases?
The length of the room is 23ft. What would go in the middle, and where would the ottoman go?
I can see the sofa placed right angle from it's present position, and putting the console table in back of it, with lighting, as you originally suggested. I'll move it around tomorrow, when there is better lighting, and I am stronger, lol
1 Like   December 26, 2012 at 6:19PM
Peg Silverwood
Yes try on that wall and putt the ottoman in the center. and float the two chairs close together the opposite side wall where the entry door and other door is.
The other option is to float the sofa so it is looking toward the wall it is currently on with the bookcases where you originally wanted them and then put the chairs either centered on each side with otto in the center or place the chairs in front of the book cases and otto in the center. If you can draw out the floor layout with window and doors I can give you a better idea. ;D
0 Likes   December 26, 2012 at 7:33PM
beautysblush
I think a large floral wallpaper on the wall behind the sofa with the background color the same as your ottoman would really make the room POP> On the opposite wall a mirror with a gold or silver frame would be nice. An interesting hanging pendent light would be nice in the corner. Put an end table in dark wood or lucite on one end of the sofa with an interesting lamp on it. On the wall behind the table and chairs this would be the same wall as the wallpapered wall in the living area. Put a pair of interesting cream colored wall sculptures on that wall behind the table and chairs. : D
0 Likes   December 26, 2012 at 7:47PM
apennameandthata
You could start simple. Have lighting at various heights: borrow some table-top or standard lamps and put them at the ends of the couches. Put some BIG pictures behind the sofas. Got no big pictures? Get some BIG pieces of butchers' paper and spray them with some water with a little paint, like they do in kindergarten, then Blu Tac them to the wall. Use greens and a bit of pink.
0 Likes   December 26, 2012 at 8:16PM
Darzy
I really like that big ottoman. I think it would be fun to glam it up and do metallic pink wallpaper and install a fab chandelier. The wallpaper would reflect a lot of light and be very pretty. I like your white bookcase idea but more for flanking the tv.

0 Likes   December 26, 2012 at 8:17PM
PRO
Prime Walls
I agree with the use of wallpaper instead of hanging a rug. If you have open-back book shelves you will be able to see the pattern through and a white unit would be a great outlining tool, creating contrast and a focalpoint on a feature wall. Here are some of the ideas I was thinking to lighten up the wall;
http://www.primewalls.com/products_residential/viewsku/915 http://www.primewalls.com/products_residential/viewsku/80 http://www.primewalls.com/products_residential/viewsku/914

Primewalls.com
0 Likes   December 27, 2012 at 6:32AM
mytime001
Psilver1, here is my living room floor plan . I will have to send new pictures tomorrow, as it is already dark. Hope you can make out the drawing.
0 Likes   December 27, 2012 at 3:20PM
Peg Silverwood
Great Thank you I will work on one and see if I can post it tonight.
0 Likes   December 27, 2012 at 5:24PM
mytime001
Thank you!
0 Likes   December 27, 2012 at 6:12PM
PRO
Custom Home Planning Center
add up light crown:http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Image+up+light+crown+molding&qpvt=Image+up+light+crown+molding&FORM=IGRE
0 Likes   December 27, 2012 at 6:17PM
Peg Silverwood
Hi Sharon, Thank you for the floor plan. Here is a very rough arrangement for furniture. With the bookcase put the mirrors on each side with Torche' lighting in front of the mirrors It will brighten the corners very well and make the room look bigger. I have attached an idea of a full length mirror. You will have to figure out the skill of what would work.
Since you like the table by the window place it right up against it and put only 2 chairs up to it. The drapes that are pooling on the floor lift by getting some hooks you can attach to the wall. This should open it up as well. I love the seating being cozy and conversational. The two extra chairs put on walls alone. Your rug is beautiful and it looks like perhaps your style was from the south by water somewhere?
If you feel there is any empty space that needs something, plants are wonderful fillers.
This has been fun doing this with you. The next best thing would be to fly to your home and help you personally. BTW if you have a hard time moving your furniture, go buy some furniture sliders from Lowes or Home Depot. They are amazing. I can't wait to see what you do.
0 Likes   December 27, 2012 at 6:50PM
mytime001
Thank you so much. Yes, I have some sliders. That sofa is Heavy! Lol.
I like the idea of mirrors on that wall. I'll move the furniture to fit your plan and post them tomorrow.
Thanks again.
0 Likes   December 27, 2012 at 7:15PM
Peg Silverwood
That sofa looks very heavy. If I were close I would come over and help you. (smiles) I can't wait to see. ;D
0 Likes   December 27, 2012 at 7:19PM
broccoli10
Add more pictures and put lights in the room:)
0 Likes   December 27, 2012 at 7:53PM
beautysblush
I like the wallpaper choices Prime Walls. We think alike. You could even go with something wilder but the ones you suggested are very nice indeed. I like the large floral and the one with the pinkish background.
0 Likes   December 28, 2012 at 4:27PM
Natalie
Wallpaper is indeed the way to go. I like this particular one for your room-think it will add a great deal to the space, visually and the color palette is ideal with your furnishings. Good Luck!
[houzz=
]
0 Likes   December 28, 2012 at 4:40PM
More Discussions
Let's play with my Snazzy Garottage project
We're building a carriage house (we prefer the term...
Empty wall
Looking for a creative way to fill this wall space....
exterior help
I am leaning more towards certainteed 's granite gray...
Do people in USA likes cement tiles?
I'm thinking of opening a time business based in Texas,...
Help design my country/vintage/modern idk what it is kitchen!
okay, here is my kitchen. Just had the granite installed...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.