Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Help finish this room
samark
December 26, 2012 in Design Dilemma
We have recently moved to a new house and are hoping to get my living room come together ... Any suggestions on widow treatment and what to do with empty corner spaces ... I would like to keep the neutral theme but to warm it up and add some life
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
Use color and pattern in your fabric choice. Keep the lines simple no swags and fussiness.
December 26, 2012 at 9:46am   
Karen Emmons
I would use roman shades. A great colorful blown glass bowl for the large coffee table. For lighting and to fill in the large corner space, how about the floor lamps that extend over the area. The retro style in silver color possibly. For the couch, eliminate two of the throw pillows and add in colored ones pulling the color out of the picture.
December 26, 2012 at 10:06am     
samark
Hey Karen ... Great ideas ... Not sure what you are reffering to ... But I was thinking that too ... What color do you suggest the roman shades be ?
December 26, 2012 at 10:13am   
mpoulsom
I think you should either do a bold solid color ( acolor from your artwork) in the roman shades or a natural textured linen tan color.
December 26, 2012 at 10:23am   
mpoulsom
OR black roman shades might be striking as well! If that is a black color I see in your painting. Can't really tell if it's black or brown, but whatever that darkest color is in your painting. :)
December 26, 2012 at 10:26am   
Karen Emmons
I would do a neutral roman shade. Similar to the couch.
December 26, 2012 at 11:01am   
adill74
You really don't have much to change, your furniture is really nice but the flower pots must go. Something taller and stand out more.You have contemporary so keep it contemporary. The flower pots are too traditional. The canvas it's not too bad, but I think you could do better. Here is a example of more what I'm talking about for as your coffee table decors. As far as your window treatment I would go with linen curtains or wood blinds.
December 26, 2012 at 11:09am   
samark
Hey Adil ... I know ! i know ! .. They are temporary until I find a replacement or buy something a bit more contemporary ! They should really be placed in the kitchen ! :) thanks for the advise ... Would love to have wood blinds ... Will def. consider the option . Thanks for your input
December 26, 2012 at 12:08pm     
samark
@ Karen ... I would love to find one of these lamps ... Would really work ... Will look for one at local vendors
December 26, 2012 at 12:09pm   
decoenthusiaste
How about a corner bookcase? I'd go for a rug that picks up the art colors and would find a glass round coffee table to break up all the rectangles in the room.

December 26, 2012 at 12:16pm   
judianna20
Trellis Print in Watermelon by Trina Turk
Modern Upholstery Fabric
Castanet Beach Outdoor Fabric
St. Regis SF High Rise

Find a fabric you love to coordinate with your picture over the sofa. Instead of filling the corners, why not surround your sofa with shelving. Ikea has some great solutions.
December 26, 2012 at 12:21pm   
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
The room is a bit small for a roman shade. I would use a cellular shade. It comes in many textures and colours and has a fold but it is not as imposing as a roman.
http://blindsdirectcanada.com/blinds-toronto/cellular-shades.html
December 30, 2012 at 3:46am   
hmschoolmom
Are window treatments necessary for privacy? I would pull your favorite color out if he painting and put up drapes that hang close to the ceiling with the panels extending from a few inches short of each corner. If your room still feels like you need something in the corners, I would opt for a standing shelf or furniture unit. (I would add pictures from houzz but don't know how on my iPhone app--help??). I'm thinking a ladder style shelf to reflect contemporary look.

What is the metal thing above the canvas? Do you want that to be camouflaged or can it be?
December 30, 2012 at 4:24am