Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Help Rookie with window treatment and fireplace mantle decor
Adam Craig
December 26, 2012 in Design Dilemma
The view out this window is great and privacy is not an issue. With that in mind, I cant decide on blinds/drapes/roman shades/nothing?

Also I am having trouble with the mantle. The Christmas cards are obviously coming down. Not sure what to do with mantle or walls on sides of fireplace.

ALL recommendations are welcome - anything is subject to change.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
decoenthusiaste
Would not worry about the windows until you're ready to block out excessive heat or cold. How is the temp doing during the snow? As for the mantel, I'd prefer art above, built-ins on each side to house tv, decor, books, etc.
December 26, 2012 at 11:16AM   
PRO
Luminosus Designs LLC
since privacy is not an issue, I would leave the windows open sans drapery or do a very simple roman shade to soften the interior. Is it possible for the mantle to be lowered? This could give you more room to hang either artwork or mirror above it. Another idea is to hang your flat screen TV there, provided you can properly shield the TV from heat generated by the fireplace. And you need to run wires/cables but it is well worth the effort. Here are some examples of what I am referring to. Have fun!
December 26, 2012 at 11:36AM     
PRO
LM Designers
I would definitely leave the windows naked and let nature be the focus. I would put the tv over the fireplace and reface the brick with drywall above the mantel and tile or granite below to update. Get rid of that step it looks dangerous and make the hearth one level getting rid of the raised sides. Do built in cabinets and book shelves and both sides of the fireplace. You have potential for so many options.
December 26, 2012 at 11:49AM     
Karen Emmons
I love the idea of lowering the mantle and placing the tv above it. If you use your fireplace, order yourself a leather wood carrier or bag to have firewood available and to take up some of the open space on the front side of the fireplace. If you don't use the fireplace, use candles inside it. Roman shades with a color from one of your chairs would be nice.
December 26, 2012 at 11:49AM   
Shauna Olsen
Benjamin Moore - rustic brick feature wall and then redoing fireplace brick with ivory....
Gorgeous with those amazing chairs :)
I would also consider shelving on both sides in the ivory.
No window coverings unless needed!
December 26, 2012 at 11:56AM   
PRO
J. Scott Interiors and The Well Dressed Window
I appreciate the desire to view the outside, but I also think that some fabric around the window(s) would soften things up. If you would like to post a full front view of the window, I'll do a virtual rendering and post it. Hope to help you! Thanks, Jamie
December 26, 2012 at 11:58AM   
PRO
By Design EK
I would go with simple panels for the windows. Do 3 Panels with a continuous rod if you can, I can't tell if the wall turns behind the sofa on the other side of the smaller window. Still go with 3 panels if it does but will have separate rods. If you like them to blend in just pick something in a neutral but I recommend having a texture like linen or a nubby cotton. I think you could add a bit more pattern and color if you like at the windows and this would make the room feel more finished. For the fireplace i would add art either side of the FP and add some color at the mantel. Either pottery, a cool charger on stand, or more art and sculpture I would definitely focus on adding contrasting color and interest. Don't be afraid of black or high contrast. This will add the interest you seek. One big peice with a lot of impact for the mantle can go a long way as well. I am not a proponent of the TV on the mantel. In your case it works where it is. You may want to change the stand at some point to one that hides more of the wires, etc.
December 26, 2012 at 12:20PM     
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
I agree with keeping the windows completely bare. I left mine like that on the windows that didn't need privacy. I love the mantel pics above.
December 26, 2012 at 12:24PM   
Darzy
If you want to "dress" the windows and keep the view...how about just short panels on either side of the window (no rod across). Something like this...As far as the FP mantel, I think a simple arrangement like this with a couple of matted family pictures would cozy the room up. Books, candlesticks, etc.
Mediterranean Dining Room
Timeless Appeal
December 26, 2012 at 12:29PM   
judianna20
Adam, you didn't get your pendant lights. And I thought you had decided on your window treatments. Did you change your mind? I still like the to-the-floor-panels in there to get some more color on the Monroe Bisque walls.

December 26, 2012 at 12:45PM     
Adam Craig
Pendant lights and changing the current fixtures is coming soon. I am holding off on built inns for now. Spending a lot of $$ with the move and the holidays so I will save that project for next summer. With that said - some similar pictures on either side of fireplace?
December 26, 2012 at 1:04PM   
dsma
I would put curtains to soften the area. But just to let you know the white carpet has to go. Its too bright with all your other stuff. I would suggest a neutral color it would make the place tie in better. As for the fire place put scones on both sides to give you light. Then on each side of the fireplace brick put two plants that match it would be inexpensive and give it an up left. You could paint the mantle wood part a litgher color to give an up left. Place a nice pic or star burst mirror in the center of the fireplace.
December 26, 2012 at 1:12PM     
Darzy
Hi 'Adam. I don't think there is enough room to put right size art on either side of the fireplace (since the tv there) How about a couple of LARGE sconces flanking the FP? You could do remote control battery operated candles instead of live candles to be easier to "light" and safer in case you forget to blow out before bedtime. : )

December 26, 2012 at 9:43PM   
Darzy
BTW..I like those toss pillows a lot on the sofa but do you think the pattern works with the armless chairs? I like these.
Flokati Pillow
Pillow Perfect 18.5 x 11.5 Decorative Red Animal Print Toss Pillows - Set of 2
December 26, 2012 at 9:46PM   
khashkes
I think the fireplace is begging for large vases on both sides or something matching that could lower the eye from the high shelf above. * if you do tv above test how high you would have to turn your head to watch comfortably.
December 26, 2012 at 10:40PM     
PRO
Cheery Curtains
Hi, you may also need some curtains for your window. Cheery Curtains has lots of nice curtains that you may like and attached are some of them.

For more curtain designs, welcome to my Houzz page!
December 27, 2012 at 12:26AM   
monicatd
Totally agree that the rug should be switched out. It's too big and the space screams for something with a beautiful pattern to add interest. Perhaps something with a black background to help ground the room? I would place it under the sofa and leave a path to walk in front of the fireplace.
December 27, 2012 at 8:09AM   
Jessica McAteer
Id put up a light linen curtain, Jc Penny has them! online
December 27, 2012 at 8:40AM   
Jessica McAteer
And dark brown pillow and maybe a burnt orange and red accent pillow, so wrought iron art on the wall and maybe a natural woven looking rug with a brown trim. And a round mirror above the fire place, with a decorative tall vase and chunky picture frames and a candle or 2!
December 27, 2012 at 8:42AM   
designwench
TV over the fireplace = a crick in your neck. If TV viewing is a priority in this room, you need to place it where you can watch it comfortably. The midpoint of the TV should be about eye-level when you are sitting. Otherwise, your neck will be tired or you be slouching in your sofa while watching your show comfortably. Also, consider window treatments if glare on your TV is an issue. Roller or cellular shades can be put up when the TV is not in use, giving you back the nearly unobstructed view to the outdoors. Pretty design married with practical design is ideal design. That said, lowering the mantle and placing artwork or a mirror there would be lovely. Down the line when you are able to tackle more work, I'd streamline the fireplace. It looks like you have LOTS of levels and an extended hearth that's taking up too much floor space. The rug wouldn't feel so large if that extended hearth wasn't there. Personally, I love white, so the rug is fine with me. If you go for pattern, be sure it won't clash with your 2 chairs.
December 27, 2012 at 10:14AM   
cohoek
Lots of people say forget the curtains but such huge panes turn into black surfaces at night. I think something else is wrong here, all the colors are in the same range,beiges and bruins, including the color on the wall. Because of this the fireplace dosen't stand out like it should. If the walls were a less warm shade the fireplace would stand out more. I would lower the mantel though.Did you notice how the blue from the cards stand uit? contrast. You could try the couch to the right of the fireplace, that way you won't have to do everything mirrored around the fireplace. I like your stuff. Its harder to make your stuff work together than to go out and buy everything new, but usually very original.
December 27, 2012 at 10:49AM   
Adam Craig
Any specific colors for the panels? Any tips on hanging them? I herd hanging the rod high looks updated but last time I did that my drapes didnt reach the floor. Do they make longer drapes for that.
December 29, 2012 at 8:14PM   
Bonnie
You would need to look around for a manufacturer that provides drapes in different lengths or have them custom made. A few stores that come to mind that make "ready made" drapes in a selection of different lengths include: The Curtain Exchange (on-line store), Ethan Allen, and Restoration Hardware. I am sure there are others as well. I would select drapes that pick up either the red or brown in your accent chairs. I would hang them 4" inches or less from the ceiling...preferably up to the ceiling.
December 29, 2012 at 8:35PM   
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
For the window shades I would recommend using cellular shades as they have a very small stack and offer great energy efficiency for when it is cold outside. drapery is another choice but can be addressed later with some great ready made panels.
http://blindsdirectcanada.com/blinds-toronto/cellular-shades.html
December 30, 2012 at 3:33AM