Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Lighting for foyer and hallway
aquajulie
December 26, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I am planning on replacing the lighting in my entry and hallway. I have a long hallway open to the living room that runs the length of the first floor. It has three recessed lights that I am planning on converting to pendants (see 1st photo). I am leaning toward bronze lantern-style lighting that would coordinate with the chandelier in the living room (see 2nd photo). How large should they be and how low should they hang? I want visual impact so I don't want to go too small. Ceilings are 9 ft high and 46" wide in hallway. In addition I want to replace the outdated chandelier in entryway (see 3rd photo) and would like suggestions for size and style. The entryway faces the living room and is vaulted with a catwalk upstairs dividing entry and living room. Entry fixture needs to complement chandelier in living room (close-up in 4th photo) and fixtures I add down hallway. Entry ceiling is 18 ft high and fixture will hang in front of a window above front door that is 6 ft x 6 ft. As you can see I have a traditional home with lots of moldings and windows. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mfheryford
What about something that would mimic the arch of your ceiling? Urban Electric sells beautiful fixtures in a variety of scale. This one might have real visual impact for the long hallway and it comes in brass: http://www.urbanelectricco.com/#/Collection/By_Category/Ceiling/Dover_Ball/
0 Likes   December 26, 2012 at 1:33PM
decoenthusiaste
Missing your other photos, but would suggest semi-flush drums in the hall and a hanging drum in the living area. What is the metal of the sconces in the living room. Will they remain or change?
0 Likes   December 26, 2012 at 1:40PM
mfheryford
Here is a photo of one version of the Dover Ball. However, it comes in a softer globe (white) and other metals. Check out the photo gallery. I have a couple of lights from UE and they are beautiful.
0 Likes   December 26, 2012 at 1:40PM