Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Lighting for foyer and hallway
aquajulie
December 26, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I am planning on replacing the lighting in my entry and hallway. I have a long hallway open to the living room that runs the length of the first floor. It has three recessed lights that I am planning on converting to pendants (see 1st photo). I am leaning toward bronze lantern-style lighting that would coordinate with the chandelier in the living room (see 2nd photo). How large should they be and how low should they hang? I want visual impact so I don't want to go too small. Ceilings are 9 ft high and 46" wide in hallway. In addition I want to replace the outdated chandelier in entryway (see 3rd photo) and would like suggestions for size and style. The entryway faces the living room and is vaulted with a catwalk upstairs dividing entry and living room. Entry fixture needs to complement chandelier in living room (close-up in 4th photo) and fixtures I add down hallway. Entry ceiling is 18 ft high and fixture will hang in front of a window above front door that is 6 ft x 6 ft. As you can see I have a traditional home with lots of moldings and windows. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
decoenthusiaste
Will you keep the sconces at the fireplace and will you want to match that metal finish?
December 26, 2012 at 4:25PM   
houssaon
Why don't you speak to a lighting expert at the store where you buy them?
December 26, 2012 at 4:29PM   
freetocreate
What do you think of this one from LampsPlus for the open hallway. There is a larger one too. http://www.lampsplus.com/products/open-scroll-cage-rubbed-bronze-finish-foyer-chandelier__03324.html
December 26, 2012 at 4:46PM   
aquajulie
I will be keeping the sconces on the fireplace as they match the living room chandelier and another pair down the hallway. They are a darker bronze finish with antiqued brass/gold bobeches. I like the suggestion from lamps plus but am also considering a more square or hexagonal shape. Can't decide. I go into a lighting store in town but they weren't much help an didn't really have what I was looking for so I will probably be ordering online.
December 27, 2012 at 11:03PM   
designideas4me
December 27, 2012 at 11:19PM     
PRO
Schreiber
How about the foscarini caboche? Could be the ceiling or hanging option, they come in different sizes. http://www.dmlights.de/foscarini_caboche_fo_13800816~00J9A#
They come in a clear and golden colour.
December 28, 2012 at 12:25PM   
PRO
ATGStores.com
Hi, Julie. We can see large pendants (http://www.atgstores.com/large-pendants_442.html?linkLoc=topnav) or even mini-chandeliers (http://www.atgstores.com/mini-chandeliers_3454.html) working in a space with that much depth, although your comment about something square/hexagonal is noted. We've chosen a few images from our selection to help give you more ideas, but welcome you to browse using our filters in both the pendant and mini-chandelier categories. You can search by finish, material, shade type, size, cost and more, and it might help you visualize what you need. It's great to use as a tool regardless of your buying preference. We hope this helps and wish you luck in your search.
December 28, 2012 at 3:55PM