Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Fix up this table
Michelle
December 26, 2012 in Design Dilemma
My husband acquired this restaurant table and I love the size and sturdiness, but it was never intended to be without a cloth. It's much too much industrial looking for my country style house.

We use this room and the table for homeschooling our kids, plus it's right off the kitchen so we eat at it, have friends over and play games at it, do craft projects or cookie decorating here . . . It gets heavy use.

What I want is to make it look a bit prettier, but keep the function. Thoughts?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
decoenthusiaste
I stopped by an interior design shop that was selling remnants for $5/bolt and got enough naugahide to cover a similar table - you can staple it or just duct tape it on for quick removal.
December 26, 2012 at 2:39pm     
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
I would put a new rustic looking wood top on it.
December 26, 2012 at 2:42pm   
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
Here are some possibilities.
1.Get a formica top made for it.
2. Cover it with sheet metal.
3. Tile it using large tile, 12 x 24 or larger.
4. Cover it with laminate flooring and then add a wood or tile bullnose to it.
December 26, 2012 at 2:48pm     
Nancy Hehmann
You could get colorful fabric ( maybe even black and white houndstooth) and place a piece of tempered glass over it. If you cannot sew, just use glue gun or hem tape. You can have a glass shop cut the glass for you. You also could put anything under the glass such as photos or drawings made by your children. Have fun!
December 26, 2012 at 2:57pm     
mpoulsom
You could paint some sort of bordered stencil around the edge of it in a color from your decor and just leave the table as is as far as the wood stain. Maybe paint the metal band around the edge to match the same color as the stained wood. Then poly over the top of it and add a big piece of fun artwork or chalkboard on the wall above it. That would take your focus off the table and I bet it would be lovely! There's nothing like a working table!
December 26, 2012 at 2:58pm     
cypress
Hello there, why don't you try oil cloth, it makes a great table covering, easy to clean up, and is available in a wide array of patterns that would go well in your country style home.
December 26, 2012 at 3:14pm     
Darzy
The top doesn't look bad to me. How about just painting the metal trim and the table base a navy blue? And a fresh coat of blue on the chairs?
December 26, 2012 at 3:16pm     
Michelle
Thanks! I like the idea of painting the edge and the legs, but it is metal and I wonder how well the paint will stick.

I had thought of painting something fun in the center, like a game board . . . Maybe.

Above the table I'm planning on mounting a small flat panel TV (we use the Internet for school often and to throw up a you tube or art on the larger screen would be lovely) and a chalkboard, plus something fun above the chalk board.
December 26, 2012 at 3:37pm   
mpoulsom
If you lightly sand the metal and spray paint it, it should be just fine and dandy! I love the idea of a gameboard. I was looking at a checkerboard pattern for a border for you and adding something different to the corners, but didn't want to comment about that, because I didn't know what the rest of the kitchen looked like, or exactly how country the decor was. :)
December 26, 2012 at 3:50pm   
Michelle
It's a ranch style house way out in the woods of north Idaho on ten acres. The style is basically country, but not very heavily decorated at all. I like things very clean and simple, not cluttery. My main decorating element is books. The table and the wall behind it should look good and be functional for both our homeschooling and daily life.
December 26, 2012 at 4:03pm     
PRO
Could you possibly do a clear resin (?) coat over some pages of an old book, or old newspapers, to show your interest in books. Even photo copies of the pages would work if you can figure out how to do the coating. Perhaps someone will reply who knows how.
December 26, 2012 at 6:07pm     
Darzy
oooohhhh! Great idea Carolyn Albert. Book pages in a decoupage type coating. That would be pretty, and a personal touch.
December 26, 2012 at 6:12pm     
PRO
Bless you, Darzy! I never myself got into decoupage, didn't know how it was done and had forgotten even what it was called. So glad you're there to help me out. Thanks!
December 26, 2012 at 7:14pm   
Darzy
@Carolyn. Well, I haven't actually decoupaged either but have seen it. : ) It can look really nice.
December 26, 2012 at 7:24pm   
Peg Silverwood
paint a large checker board on top of the table. Do it in Black and cream. Leave a border of the wood around the outside edge. For the edge look for word trim that could be attached and paint it black along with the leg.
December 26, 2012 at 7:53pm   
mpoulsom
Another way to dress it up a bit would be to put velcro around the metal edge and attach some gathered fabric with velcro on it that you like and make a table skirt. You could then easily remove it and launder when needed. Just throwing ideas out there.
December 27, 2012 at 8:22am   
groveraxle
Years ago, I decoupaged a table top for my father to add a bit of color to his assisted living apartment, and then this year I did a TV table to use in my office. I used handmade papers for the designs and finished them with a coat of epoxy.

There are a number of decoupage tutorials here: http://familycrafts.about.com/od/decoupage/tp/How-To-Decoupage-Video.htm

The kids could even help! What fun!
December 27, 2012 at 9:30am     
groveraxle
Beautiful decoupage here: http://www.bellabella.com/
December 27, 2012 at 9:38am     
dsma
If this was me I would paint the chairs and legs of the table the same color and leave the top of the table as is. Its simple easy .
December 27, 2012 at 10:02am     
cohoek
Hi, I'd paint the chairs and the table legs fire engine red. Did you know that red keeps you alert? Never red in the bedroom, it will keep you awake!!Heard this from a professional painter that had to paint the inside of toiletdoors red so people would not stay to long Your kitchen coiuld use a little color.
December 27, 2012 at 10:15am   
karelina
There are special paints for metal, so I agree, paint the metal a bright color. For an immediate solution, buy a table cloth, then you'll have all the time in the world to decorate the table.
December 27, 2012 at 10:25am   
Margaret Phillips
Here is a link for a terrific tutorial on resin table. They used bottle caps (wouldn't be my choice of item) but the directions are pretty clear. You could even use a checkerboard within the resin.
December 27, 2012 at 1:19pm   
judianna20
How about a world map with the legs painted one of the colors in the map that you like.

December 27, 2012 at 1:43pm     
Michelle
Thanks everybody, you've given me awesome ideas!
December 28, 2012 at 10:01pm   
rosiegabby
I like the table - industrial/contemporary. The chairs are country and do go to well. What about a rug with some nice colors then paint the chairs one of the colors in the rug and add some art on the bringing in the colors.
December 28, 2012 at 11:01pm   
designideas4me
Margaret.........thanks for that link. I always wanted to know how to use resin. Its a cool product. check out what this guy did..very talented http://www.instructables.com/id/The-Starry-Night-Mosaic-Table/

I like the idea with the cloth and glass as well. I just put a table cloth on a table I too wanted to change the look of but having a glass top would make it much more practical and useful.
December 29, 2012 at 2:28am